My 9800 worked with wifi only, for appworld. Much faster for downloads and dont have to worry about exceding download cap. Now for some reason, 9810 requires network connection. I find that totally rediculous... is there a setting im missing or something? Or is it a firmware thing?
    09-24-11 08:32 PM
    It is an os 7 setting. You need to be tied to the network to download apps. Same thing with the 9900 and 9860.
    09-24-11 08:42 PM
    Well that is kind of silly. Won't really be a big deal for me other than having to shutoff wi-fi and turn it back on afterwards.
    09-24-11 08:50 PM
    Well that is kind of silly. Won't really be a big deal for me other than having to shutoff wi-fi and turn it back on afterwards.
    You don't actually have to shut off wi-fi in order to use AppWorld, you just can't download apps using exclusively wi-fi. For example, if you live in the countryside somewhere where there is no cell service, but you do have wi-fi, you won't be able to download any apps until you are somewhere where you have a wireless data connection.
    09-24-11 09:23 PM
    Well I sure hope a firmware upgrade in future will fix that, being tied to your provider to surf appworld and download exclusively on their network is stupid. Also downloading through wifi is much better, faster and you dont waste on your data cap. I sure hope that is fixed in a future update...............so damn stupid.
    09-24-11 09:51 PM
    You don't actually have to shut off wi-fi in order to use AppWorld, you just can't download apps using exclusively wi-fi. For example, if you live in the countryside somewhere where there is no cell service, but you do have wi-fi, you won't be able to download any apps until you are somewhere where you have a wireless data connection.
    So if I am sitting in my house, I don't have to turn wi-fi off, it will just by default go through AT&T's network or in my scenario would I have to turn off wi-fi?
    09-24-11 09:54 PM
    You don't have to touch the wifi. Leave it on. The OS will automatically pick the "correct" network. The issue the OP (and myself) is having is when you don't have cellular data service but do have wifi, app world doesn't work. (You get a no data services, check your settings message).
    09-24-11 10:45 PM
    Ah, OK, now I understand. Thanks for the clarification.
    09-24-11 10:54 PM
    I think the OP is misunderstanding why he needs cellular coverage to use app world.

You need to be connected to your carrier, but you will still use your wifi connection to download your app, not your cellular data plan(someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it needs you to be connected to feed you carrier specific apps, and won't show you apps that are forbidden by your carrier).

Think the 9800 was this way also, although I'm not 100% sure as I'm always within a coverage area at home.

So in short, although you have to have cellular coverage and data services on, you will still use your wifi connection to surf and download any apps from app world.
    09-25-11 06:18 AM
    nope, 9800 worked with network off. I was able to browse and download on appworld just using wifi. Also something else i did notice. if i keep both network and wifi on, and i browse the net or watch videos, it is slow. If i turn off network, it is faster. Which tells me, i am more than likly downloading via network. I thought wifi connection is given priority in this situation. So word of advice, or for people to try, when browsing the net in a wifi hotspot turn off ur cell network and let me know your findings.
    09-25-11 08:36 AM
    Ok here goes, I did a data usage from my carrier before I used app world.

Then I downloaded the layar augmented reality browser from app world with wifi connected and data services on.

Then I did another data usage text message from my carrier.

As you can see I used my wifi connection to download the app although data services was on for my carrier and used 0 cellular data.

Perhaps your in a location that your carriers services is stronger then your wifi signal, therefore your BB chooses to use the cellular data over wifi?
    09-26-11 08:45 AM
    This is a known problem with app world. I've run into the same issue myself, numerous times. You must have a carrier's data connection.. if you're in a no service area, you're out of luck. Downloading over wifi with no data connection from your carrier will not work.
    09-26-11 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD