Okay, hi all.

I have a really weird problem, that I can't seem to find in any other threads...

As you can see from the thread title, I have a 2GB memory card, that my 9700 seems to recognise, no music on my phone, about 5 non default apps (facebook,batteryex,beweather,whatsapp,buzzme) and only one theme, but for some unknown reason i only have 19.5 MB of internal memory left?!

Whats going on here does anyone know really frustrating, please help me out!!
    08-29-10 02:54 PM
    One thing has nothing to do with the other. The SD card is for media storage i.e. pics, music and videos etc. The available device memory is app space. Some apps will cache to the SD card while others will not. With only that much device memory left, the device is most likely sluggish. Try a battery pull with the device on and wait 30s before putting it back in. Clear the FB cache by going into FB, options, clear cache.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-10 03:12 PM
    Thank you very much for the advice, just done a battery pull and cleared the fb cache, now have 19.7 MB, so slight improvement!!

Just wish I knew whats eating my memory, to have 250MB internal memory with only 19.7 MB left (and about 5 apps...) is not good, thanks for the help though!

Anyone else have any ideas?
    08-29-10 03:23 PM
    try wiping your bb n reinstalling ur os with latest one after backup
    tht might help you
    08-29-10 03:50 PM
    Thank you very much for the advice, just done a battery pull and cleared the fb cache, now have 19.7 MB, so slight improvement!!

Just wish I knew whats eating my memory, to have 250MB internal memory with only 19.7 MB left (and about 5 apps...) is not good, thanks for the help though!

Anyone else have any ideas?
    Are you storing a lot of pictures to your phone memory? I have like 15 apps installed and ~99 MB free still.
    08-29-10 04:21 PM
    Saved emails and sms messages take up space in intenal mem too.
    08-29-10 04:29 PM
    Remove the sd card, and see how much media is actually on your bb.. Something is not saving right!

I would back everything up and wipe the device.

Do you have a lot of themes installed also?

People sometimes don't uninstall their themes and have like 20.

Can you list us your 3rd Part and Addon apps installed?

08-29-10 05:07 PM
    Remove the sd card, and see how much media is actually on your bb.. Something is not saving right!

I would back everything up and wipe the device.

Do you have a lot of themes installed also?

People sometimes don't uninstall their themes and have like 20.

Can you list us your 3rd Part and Addon apps installed?

Firstly thanks for all your responses guys, much appreciated!

Bit scared of a device wipe and OS reinstall as last time I did this I got a 'fatal error' from desktop manager and ended up with a bricked 8900 eeek

Only one third party theme, along with the original precision zen, all others uinstalled.

Third party apps - batteryex, beweather free, buzzme premium, whatsapp

Add on- app world, app centre, maps, messsenger, docs to go, fb, help, memo, password keeper, sudoku, tasks, twitter (have been working my way through deleting these with little difference)

Only a few pictures, and no music...on removal of the SD card my device is free from media files

Has my 9700 gone crazy?
    08-30-10 02:53 PM
    I would security wipe it. Remove everything, should fix it. If you're on the security wipe screen for more than an hour, which happens a lot, pull the battery and put it back it, then it'll take you to a real black and white security wipe screen that will run through a progress bar two or three times and then reboot the phone.
    08-30-10 03:07 PM
    Do you have a lot of MMS messages from your friends? A few friends I know send a lot of videos back and forth amongst each other and don't realize that MMS's are all stored in application memory.

So you might have your original video (saved on SD card), PLUS the MMS you sent it to your friend on (in application memory) and any other videos you sent back and forth. I have no idea if you can "detach" and save video's from MMS's, but if so, I would try to save them all to SD card and then delete all your MMS's.
    08-30-10 03:53 PM
    beyond what was already mentioned my question would be what apps are you leaving open because that will drain your memory as well. make sure to clear your browser cache too.
    08-30-10 05:24 PM
    Bowser cache, unless you're doin' A LOT of surfin' won't free up much more than a few megabytes at best, my guess. I do it weekly, none the less, and emails/SMS daily. I have the same phone with 22 applications and 101 meg of available memory left; 95 mega of app mem. There's definitely something odd going on with your device and I'd suggest you back up all data on Desktop Manager and do the wipe. If the phone turns to brick then you've got a warranty claim. Otherwise, well, guess you should've gotten the optional insurance.
    Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 08-31-10 at 04:08 PM.
    08-30-10 07:12 PM
    Thanks again everyone!

Don't leave any apps open, and the MMS messages I send are few and far between, and only photo messages when I do send them!

Browser cache cleared every other day

My BB should still be under warranty, only got it in June, but this really isn't something I want to do.

Security wipe is sounding like my best bet, will this wipe the OS?
    Last edited by berrynice13; 08-31-10 at 04:06 PM.
    08-31-10 04:03 PM
    Thanks again everyone!
    Don't leave any apps open, and the MMS messages I send are few and far between, and only photo messages when I do send them!
    Browser cache cleared every other day
    My BB should still be under warranty, only got it in June, but this really isn't something I want to do.
    Security wipe is sounding like my best bet, will this wipe the OS?

Honestly if you are having a lack of memory problem it's not a warranty issue. Warranty covers Hardware malfunctions, not someone storing alot of stuff on your phone.

There should be a Thread in the how to section to clean up your OS and run with just the stuff you need. Fairly Simple, but then again what is simple to one isn't simple to another.

08-31-10 04:16 PM
    Honestly if you are having a lack of memory problem it's not a warranty issue. Warranty covers Hardware malfunctions, not someone storing alot of stuff on your phone.

There should be a Thread in the how to section to clean up your OS and run with just the stuff you need. Fairly Simple, but then again what is simple to one isn't simple to another.

Well there isn't a lot of stuff stored on my phone, which points to a malfunction!

Especially as its only a couple months old!

I will try a wipe, but a 'fatal error' and white screen of death due to crappy desktop manager are not things im keen to see again...
    08-31-10 04:20 PM
    Go to Options > Status > Menu Key > Database Sizes. You might get an idea of where your memory is being used up.

08-31-10 04:23 PM
    Go to Options > Status > Menu Key > Database Sizes. You might get an idea of where your memory is being used up.

thank you so much for this advice, prompted me to delete my phone log and missed call log, and have jumped from 22.5 MB free to 117.3 MB free!!!

As happy as I am, is it normal for phone logs to take up this much memory....

THANK YOU!!!
    08-31-10 04:29 PM
    thank you so much for this advice, prompted me to delete my phone log and missed call log, and have jumped from 22.5 MB free to 117.3 MB free!!!

As happy as I am, is it normal for phone logs to take up this much memory....

THANK YOU!!!
    Wow! I've never had that problem! Mine are only taking up 350KB combined.

08-31-10 04:32 PM
    Wow! I've never had that problem! Mine are only taking up 350KB combined.

I think mine were about 220 KB combined, but for some reason clearing that along with missed call list had brought back 100 MB of memory!!!

Has my 9700 gone insane??
    08-31-10 04:37 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a question. I have os 5.0.0.328. I shink and load. then restore 3rd party apps and the backup.. have done this more than 10 times.. After acouple i noticed the flash memory % keeps creeping up, it is now taking up 54%.. phoneBasics task manager is how i am able to see this.. So how can i make it go back down?? help please no idea what to do bout that. sorry if there is already a thread for this.
    im using strom 9530.
    09-02-10 08:32 PM
    most BBs come with a corrupted memory card I had to change 4 cards till I get a working one......then I finally just bought myself an 8 GB card
    09-02-10 08:39 PM
    I have an 8g memory card and am running maybe 3 or 4 apps and my phone is constantly lagging. Is there anything I can do to improve this and stop it from lagging (every few minutes!)
    06-24-11 12:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD