Anyone experiencing battery drain and memory leak on the 9700 ? I was all good until I stated tweeting and using WhatsApp .

Check the photo attached . I lost 20 mb and I havent booted in 5 days !!!
    04-27-10 04:38 AM
    So another Rant... wow... apps that are not built well and eat up battery life and take up space they shouldn't... those are apps that don't last long in this business... and apps that don't get past testing on my device... if I ever use them.

I don't know what WhatsApp does... and don't care... but why load Tweeting when UberTwitter works great on my device.
    04-27-10 06:36 AM
    Its a known problem that Twitter has a memory leak

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-10 07:34 AM
    Its a known problem that Twitter has a memory leak

No memory leaks from UberTwitter that I've seen... at least not if I don't let it run in the background... I've never let it run in the background.
    04-27-10 08:30 AM
    I believe he was talking about Twitter for Blackberry, not Ubertwitter.

I use the official Twitter for Blackberry app as well and I haven't noticed any memory leak problems, but that's just me.
    04-27-10 09:11 AM
    Two things, delete MeterBerry and your memory loss should not be near as bad. Second, check to see how often the Twitter for BlackBerry application is polling for tweets. The default is every three minutes, which will cause battery drain. Set it to poll every hour instead...
    04-27-10 09:15 AM
    I believe he was talking about Twitter for Blackberry, not Ubertwitter.

I use the official Twitter for Blackberry app as well and I haven't noticed any memory leak problems, but that's just me.
    I know they are not talking about UberTwitter... I'm just saying UberTwitter doesn't have that issue... plus I agree with SevereDeceit: the OP might want to check how often their Twitter app is checking for updates... and like I was trying to say: I don't have mine run in the Background and it does NOT check for updates unless I launch the App.
    04-27-10 09:24 AM
    I've used both UT and Twitter for BB and none of them are leaking RAM. I still use Twitter for BB for weeks now; no problem.
    20 MB in 5 days?! My 9700 will reset itself in 3-4 days and if that doesn't happen, I do it because the cursor in the BB browser doesn't work...it's the Java OS architecture that's broken, not those particular apps.
    04-27-10 09:28 AM
    actually whatsapp is pretty good idea, it's actually bbm for all smartphones so instead of using sms it using data
    04-27-10 05:06 PM
    After installing Twitter (decided to try it instead of what I normally like, OpenBeak) and noticed huge battery drain. I have it set to NOT look for tweets automatically and it is still draining the batt like mad. I'm going to uninstall it, personally.
    05-19-10 08:45 AM
    After installing Twitter (decided to try it instead of what I normally like, OpenBeak) and noticed huge battery drain. I have it set to NOT look for tweets automatically and it is still draining the batt like mad. I'm going to uninstall it, personally.
    Yeap that's the offical twitter app for ya!
    05-19-10 09:28 AM
    im using the twitter for blackberry and have no leaks of memory, it think it's way better than seismic or ubertwitter, has it's small bugs but nothing major, but eitehr way no memory leaks to report
    05-23-10 09:21 AM

An efficient OS should be able to handle all ( at least most types of ) memory leaks.
    And BBOS is not do efficient.

I hope OS6 will not have these issues.

05-23-10 09:37 AM

An efficient OS should be able to handle all ( at least most types of ) memory leaks.
    And BBOS is not do efficient.

bad code is bad code...an efficient OS would mitigate some of it, but not all of it. the fix for it would be better debugging or more diverse/open beta.

what makes this bad is the current bbos is not very efficient with memory handling at times(leaps and bounds better than it use to be). Most of the really good apps out right now don't have memory leak issues, but newer ones and less supported ones will have that issue and will always have those issues till they are more widely used/supported.

it will get better, for the most part up till now BB was aimed more for business users and they seem to be shifting their sights to private users that want some fun on their device as well with OS6. with that will come more support for apps, or at least more competition.

and all this is said assuming that OS6 will be more friendly to developers>.<
    05-23-10 10:05 AM
    I have not had any isses with BB Twitter.

05-23-10 10:15 AM
    bad code is bad code...an efficient OS would mitigate some of it, but not all of it. the fix for it would be better debugging or more diverse/open beta.

what makes this bad is the current bbos is not very efficient with memory handling at times(leaps and bounds better than it use to be). Most of the really good apps out right now don't have memory leak issues, but newer ones and less supported ones will have that issue and will always have those issues till they are more widely used/supported.

it will get better, for the most part up till now BB was aimed more for business users and they seem to be shifting their sights to private users that want some fun on their device as well with OS6. with that will come more support for apps, or at least more competition.

and all this is said assuming that OS6 will be more friendly to developers>.<
    Well,
    Agree....

BB SDK is less friendly.
    Personally java is not that great performer as compared to C or CPP,
    Look at iPhone with objective C
    And symbian with CPP
    Samsung BADA with CPP...

Bad code is really bad one.
    But certain restrictions/mechanism can be forced to check if author has forgot something
    Or
    Efficient memory manager on OS should ideally handle memory leaks...

Linux does it nicely...
    RIM engineers are lazy or less paid.

05-23-10 12:14 PM
    Random question but if I chose the close option for BB Twitter does it matter what setting I have for updating tweets? I have a major battery drain and trying to figure what is going on. I recently downloaded BB Twitter so I think that is the problem.
    09-08-10 11:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD