HI,

I recently purchased my first crackberry and I'm glad to be part of the community. Still learning how to use it, but so far enjoying it.

I don't have a data plan for the phone, I just have a Tmobile 8900. I've loaded some apps and have been able to use the wifi. I don't really feel I need data plan yet, most of the time I am comfortable just utilizing wifi since I don't utilize much web apps.

I want to set up my personal email however so that I can send / receive only when hooked up to wifi, however my setup only has one option of "Blackberry Enterprise Server". Also I found many apps, such as gmail, gmaps, aim, wont connect because "service not enabled".

I'm wondering if I buy bb data plan with Tmobile and set up my personal email settings and load the apps, then cancel my bb data plan, will the access and settings for email/apps still be retained and be able to use over WIFI?

Thanks In Advance!
    10-28-09 06:33 PM
    You need a 3rd party app that can pull and push your email... starting a data plan and stopping it will not get this to work once you stop your data plan... a Blackberry is meant to be used with a Blackberry Data Plan!!!
    10-28-09 07:23 PM
    yes I have installed logicmail, however I just want to be able to compose and send email through standard message app when I'm connected to wifi. I don't want/need 24/7 push.... Is this not possible?
    10-28-09 07:57 PM
    yes I have installed logicmail, however I just want to be able to compose and send email through standard message app when I'm connected to wifi. I don't want/need 24/7 push.... Is this not possible?
    If you want to use the Blackberry features then you need to have a Blackberry Data Plan.
    10-28-09 10:58 PM
    how unfortunate...and limiting...
    10-29-09 12:24 AM
    Not unfortunate at all. Blackberry devices are designed to be used with a data plan. If you want to use all of the features then you need to get the data plan and use the device as it was intended to be used.
    10-29-09 03:03 AM
    Yeah, I have to second that; that's the point of a Blackberry. My ex had one with t mobile w/o the data plan and it was like what's the point. I hear you with the WiFi but you can get a reg phone and access your email or a nav app. Good luck
    10-29-09 04:53 AM
    you can use gmail app for emails _ it works via wifi and it can stay on in the background checking for your emails all day long. it even works via edge when no wi fi is available but using mobile internet without some kind of plan is usually very expensive. i used my blackberry like that before i got everything ready to activate (separately) bis and 512mb data plan and i have to admit - now i have a good phone, before i had only hints of the functionality.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 05:04 AM
    Why step up to a smartphone and not get data? You should have thought about this before purchasing. But then to complain after???

You need to get a dumbphone like a Razr that doesn't require a data plan. Blackberries are designed to be used with data as stated above. That's the entire purpose behind a.......smartphone.
    10-29-09 10:15 AM
    Complain? I'm looking for solutions to what I feel should be reasonable functionality to consider. I never had a blackberry, so how could I have considered these issues? It seemed logical to assume a wifi capable phone would allow all internet related services regardless of being on provider data or wifi. Not all smartphones require data plan, sorry to shatter your world, the blackberry isn't the only smartphone on the market... there windows mobile phones that allows more flexibility and doesn't require a data plan.

Thank you all for your non-solution take what the provider forces onto you responses. I am now better acquainted with this blackberry and will now call my service provider to add the required data plan and conform to the rest of the mold.
    10-29-09 01:45 PM
    Complain? I'm looking for solutions to what I feel should be reasonable functionality to consider. I never had a blackberry, so how could I have considered these issues? It seemed logical to assume a wifi capable phone would allow all internet related services regardless of being on provider data or wifi. Not all smartphones require data plan, sorry to shatter your world, the blackberry isn't the only smartphone on the market... there windows mobile phones that allows more flexibility and doesn't require a data plan.

Thank you all for your non-solution take what the provider forces onto you responses. I am now better acquainted with this blackberry and will now call my service provider to add the required data plan and conform to the rest of the mold.

Did you do any research prior to buying a bb? If you had you would know that the bb is just something to make calls with if you don't have a data plan.

and no, blackberry is not the only smartphone on the market...if you knew this why didn't you purchase something else that would do what you want without the data plan.

there is no "conforming to the mold", it is blackberry and you either get it or you don't.
    10-29-09 01:48 PM
    Did you do any research prior to buying a bb? If you had you would know that the bb is just something to make calls with if you don't have a data plan.

and no, blackberry is not the only smartphone on the market...if you knew this why didn't you purchase something else that would do what you want without the data plan.

there is no "conforming to the mold", it is blackberry and you either get it or you don't.

Wow, thanks for the insight! I can tell you are far superior then us inferior beings who don't 'get it'...
    10-29-09 02:12 PM
    ok - its official

aristile, fatboy97 and 3cissbb have rubbed off on me
    10-29-09 02:26 PM

The reason a Blackberry requires a Blackberry Data Plan is so that it can proved the high level of security that it offers. These "other smart phones" that you mention pale in comparison when it comes to that security that a Blackberry Device offers. Instead of coming in here and having an uninformed opinion on the device how about you go ahead and do some research before you bash things that are in place intentionally and by design. Good luck to you in whatever device you choose.
    10-29-09 02:27 PM
    ok - its official

aristile, fatboy97 and 3cissbb have rubbed off on me
    Welcome to the light! Its nice and warm, isn't it?
    10-29-09 02:28 PM
    it is quite cozy, like a nice quilt of sarcasm to keep me warm at night
    10-29-09 02:38 PM
    When I had my first BB, I didn't get the blackberry data service. I already had unlimited data from ATT's MediaNet, and some reasonable number of texts for quite a less than the BB plans.

It took some tweaking, but it worked just fine. The browser at the time sucked anyway, so I used Opera mini and would have regardless. And I used the gmail client too; I don't think I had any less of a "blackberry experience" than anyone else.

The point, however, is that I did have a data plan. I really can't imagine having a blackberry and not having ANY data plan. I usually have a laptop with me, so when I'm within range of Wifi, I generally just pull that out . . . although we'll see if that remains true when I get my 8900 in a couple of days.
    Last edited by macviolinist; 11-03-09 at 11:04 PM.
    11-03-09 11:00 PM
    People really should research things before they buy them.
    11-04-09 06:11 AM
    HI,

I recently purchased my first crackberry and I'm glad to be part of the community. Still learning how to use it, but so far enjoying it.

I don't have a data plan for the phone, I just have a Tmobile 8900. I've loaded some apps and have been able to use the wifi. I don't really feel I need data plan yet, most of the time I am comfortable just utilizing wifi since I don't utilize much web apps.

I want to set up my personal email however so that I can send / receive only when hooked up to wifi, however my setup only has one option of "Blackberry Enterprise Server". Also I found many apps, such as gmail, gmaps, aim, wont connect because "service not enabled".

I'm wondering if I buy bb data plan with Tmobile and set up my personal email settings and load the apps, then cancel my bb data plan, will the access and settings for email/apps still be retained and be able to use over WIFI?

Thanks In Advance!

You can use access GMAIL though wifi. You just can't get it pushed to you. You just have to go to the gmail log-in page from your browser. It's all the better if you set up your browser page as GOOGLE instead of the usual one that pops up automatically.
    11-04-09 07:16 AM
    I have an 8350I on Nextel with no BB plan and everything works fine...MMS, TEXT MSG, EMAIL, Google maps GPS,..The only things that don't work are the Nascar and football crap that I could care less about! Oh ya the pin is useless to me and my email does not say sent from blackberry, DARN. I could fix that if i wanted. The only features that do not work without a DATA plan, (not a blackberry plan) but a data plan which is much cheaper then a bb plan is Google maps and web browser. You can send MMS to any email address with no data plan. You can also forward your personal email to your sprint / Nextel its your number @ messaging.nextel.com email that comes with every phone and you will get all those email on your hand set with no data plan and they come through as mms or text messages. I do have a basic data plan not a bbplan so that I can browse the web and use Google maps WOW, not really wow but I use them once a in a while.. It's funny people with a bb get so bitchy about people with out a bb plan...It's kind of funny to me...
    For anyone with Nextel or boost who is snapped at on this site for not having a bb plan and want things to work message me and i will send you the service books to make your email/mms and other features on the phone work...sorry I do not have the books for any other phone company. I am sure if you dig you will find them. You have to use the desktop manager and delete the service books in place and install the 23 I send you...Hope this helps us losers without a bbplan
    Last edited by mrtwelvevolts; 11-07-09 at 03:04 PM. Reason: clear up
    11-07-09 02:59 PM
    funambol supports push mail (gmail or any mail service that provides pop or imap). It's easier to setup than logicmail.
    11-08-09 12:46 AM
    Why step up to a smartphone and not get data? You should have thought about this before purchasing. But then to complain after???

You need to get a dumbphone like a Razr that doesn't require a data plan. Blackberries are designed to be used with data as stated above. That's the entire purpose behind a.......smartphone.
    Perhaps it was less "bought" and more "acquired."
    11-08-09 02:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD