Ok, so tomorrow I'm about to trade my iPhone for a BB8900, as I'm very bored with it, but I don't want to get a data plan as of yet. My plan is already expensive, and I don't want to renew another 3 years with another even more expensive plan, especially since I've heard new competition coming for rogers to Canada.

Anyways, I've read that things like Facebook, IM+ etc won't work without a dataplan, and I'm usually always around wifi.
    What I mainly need is :
    IM program (MSN, AIM)
    Email client
    GPS
    Facebook preferably

It would be great if these were free also.

Thanks a lot, from a soon to be crackberry user.
    10-04-09 02:07 PM
    You can't use email with a data plan. I know that for sure.
    you can only use the WAP browser, and a few selective apps. Not sure about the ones you mentioned.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-09 02:24 PM
    I'm almost sure, that You CAN'T use any of those app without BlackBerry Data Plan
    Some Navi app would use normal carrier connection, but there is no offline navi.
    10-04-09 02:50 PM
    Not even with wifi?
    10-04-09 02:58 PM
    I am currently without a data plan and am doing great!! Just make sure you have your browser set to "hotspot browser" when you want to surf the net! Then you won't get billed.
    For instant messaging, use palringo. It uses wifi, and can connect to gtalk msn facebook chat, and many other chat sevices.
    For email, try logicmail. I am to lazy to tweak it to work with my gmail, but it may work for you!
    Not sure about gps... But for facebook I just use the moble site--its really fast and easy to use!
    Good luck with your BB!! You will love it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-09 03:39 PM
    I have a datablock so I'm fine on that end.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Is there a rep system on this site?
    10-04-09 03:43 PM
    All of your apps will work on WiFi but once you are out of the house, they will all stop working unless you have a dataplan. Sorry.
    10-04-09 03:50 PM
    Really? I heard something like some apps need to go through RIM servers, and without a dataplan it won't let you access them. Im either at home, or on campus, where its wifi regardless. I don't need data 100% of the time, so that's why I chose to wait a bit until maybe the prices drop.

Thanks for the help
    10-04-09 03:57 PM
    Email needs a dataplan if you do not use webmail it's the only one. Sorry, I missed that one.
    10-04-09 04:32 PM
    Rogers has a $15 dollar Data plan that includes Unlimited Email (including attachments) and unlimited IM (Includes BBM, MSN, GoogleTalk, Yahoo Messenger, ICQ...etc etc)

But to be honest I would go with the next level and get the $20 or $25 (can't remember exactly) and you get something like 500mb of data.

That will definitely suffice for your uses, and plus it gives you flexibility if you are out somewhere and you might need to look something up or get directions. (Facebook, GPS and other online apps won't work over WiFi usually)
    10-04-09 11:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD