Hello, im pat been lurking here for a while and finally decided to sign up. but as the topic reads i have took the .86 camera .cod file and replaced the one from .90 then i did a wipe and reinstalled the os. so far all the pictures i take on any setting are saving. so i have the .86 camera app on the .90 os and everything works on it. going to try media player too and see if that fixes song playing reboots (will keep posted).

heres a jl_cmdr screenshot to show what i am getting at.

UPDATE: ok after running the media player a coupla hours seems that is solved also (as in no resets), using media player app and libraries from .86 i had to downgrade to the .85 camera app as some settings were still not saving pictures in the .86, but .85 seems to be saving all the test pictures i take on all settings now.. i am still doing testing though..

I am also working on a howto for the people that dont know how to do a frankenstein os install hope to have that done soon also.
    Last edited by icyxcold; 01-23-09 at 02:07 PM. Reason: UPDATE:
    01-23-09 12:07 PM
    Awesome - if you can fix the media player - zip the folder up and I will host a link for those that want to try. -

Not sure a wipe and full reinstall necessary. Probably just need to use the javaloader to load the new .cod?

Maybe even the .76 Media player cod - - it had full stereo BT with video, though picture viewing was way slow.

But what a great idea to mix and match components. Should probably load the .76 phone ap - it had no bugs either.

Frankenstein OSes - it's been a dream of mine for at least 4 weeks.
    Last edited by 1magine; 01-23-09 at 12:38 PM.
    01-23-09 12:35 PM
    I was going to try this last night... but didn't get a chance to.

As long as there isn't any new application calls introduced, this should work... the code is modular...

Btw... I know it's a very sour topic around here, but this is same technique also applies to other modules also...
    01-23-09 12:39 PM
    very interesting. Keep us posted. Great first post. Welcome to CB.
    01-23-09 12:42 PM
    thats awesome! good idea
    01-23-09 01:00 PM
    That's awesome. I was just wondering last night if it would be possible to frankentstein an OS together.
    01-23-09 01:08 PM
    do you have to use the jl_co app or can you just copy and paste it from the .86 install to the .90 install?
    01-23-09 01:18 PM
    do you have to use the jl_co app or can you just copy and paste it from the .86 install to the .90 install?
    You can just copy and paste it... you should even be able to just use the DM software to "Upgrade" the default 0.90 install...
    01-23-09 01:21 PM
    You can just copy and paste it... you should even be able to just use the DM software to "Upgrade" the default 0.90 install...
    I switched .90 module for .86 in loader files. plugged into DM. No prompt. so i hit app loader and it correctly read to Downgrade from Core Apps. I double checked by hitting details and it had camera at .86 while everything else was at .90. I hit continue it did some loading and reset the device. But when i checked it still had the .90 module on phone. i re-connected and it still says downgrade but when i click continue it says nothing to update.

weird
    01-23-09 01:37 PM
    Guess im gonna try a wipe and re-install. This would be great for me. I am really happy with the .90 release but havent been able to take pics of my son lately with it. they just dont save. its worth trying.......

BTW great idea icyxcold. hope it works for me
    01-23-09 01:48 PM
    01-23-09 02:10 PM
    im wondering if the curve camera will work on the storm
    Yeah, I don't think so on that one. Small jumps in COD versions within the same core OS is possible (mix match/what you're seeing here). Everything else won't.
    01-23-09 02:16 PM
    When you can please post detailed instructions on the Media App part. .90 is much better but the Media part sucks since I listen to music at work.
    01-23-09 03:06 PM
    There is a fix to the camera problem. Go to camera options, and set the picture size to medium. So far so good!
    01-23-09 03:24 PM
    There is a fix to the camera problem. Go to camera options, and set the picture size to medium. So far so good!
    That's not a "fix". That's a work-around.
    Not trying to be a ****.
    01-23-09 03:39 PM
    Soooooo.... If we were to find out which module is causing the reboot cycles on the 9500 .90 devices, that could also be tried to mix and match and upload the file for us all to try right?

Then the first step is: can anyone tell me which files are (most likely) to be the files that first load during the OS boot up process?
    Or how to find out?
    01-23-09 05:30 PM
    great suggestion. nice workaround. easier than tweaking/switching .mod's for now.
    01-23-09 07:21 PM
    i have another alternative to the medium idea.
    Not sure if it will work for everyone but i zoomed into 1.1 and so on and have been taking pictures non stop at large rating. Try it out let me know if this helps anyone. I am currently using 1.3x zoom with 0 errors in last 20 pictures taken
    01-23-09 07:29 PM
    If this actually works that would be amazing. What we need now is a consensus from people as to what OS's had the best modules and put together the most stable/fastest we can think of.
    I'm happy with .90 with these exeptions:
    -Media Player is wonky, .86 I believe is fine unless anyone has a better version in mind.
    -Phone is messed up. No keypad in calls. Again with the .86.
    -Bluetooth LED is fixed in .90 but stereo is still missing. - Probably .76?

Others?
    01-23-09 07:36 PM
    Anyone figured out or posted elsewhere which files can be replaced in .90 with .86 versions to make the media player more stable?
    01-24-09 12:28 PM
    Can anyone verify if this is even possible?

CX? Sith?
    01-24-09 12:35 PM
    i am mainly interested in this so that we can fix the Media Card Inserted error. I guess we will all need to test to verify if this works or not. I have only had the error happen once so far. if it continues i will test mixing up OS's my self. Until then i will continue to follow this thread.
    01-24-09 02:46 PM
    Any thoughts on whether this could work on BT for Videos (from .75 version)?

______
    EDIT: Well since I was following the OP and doing the camera thing (using .85 cod), I figured I'd try with .75 on media player related cods as well. The bad news is what I tried didn't work as needed - i.e., making BT work with videos, the good news is I don't really know what I'm doing but didn't brick my phone, so I still have hope that someone much more familiar may be able to fix this. Here is a list of the cods I copied from the .75 build into the .90 folder and then updated. To be clear, I didn't wipe and then reinstall, just installed over existing build. I hadn't tried my camera before to know if I had the same issues, but I had no issues with picture size, zoom, etc. after doing this.

net_rim_bb_mediacontenthandler.cod
    net_rim_bb_medialibrary.cod
    net_rim_bb_medialibraryplayer.cod
    net_rim_media.cod
    net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine.cod
    net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine_bundle.cod
    net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine_pme02.cod
    net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine_pme12.cod
    net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine_smil_00.cod
    net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine_smil_format.cod
    net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine_smil_mms.cod
    Last edited by m.jed; 01-24-09 at 04:28 PM.
    01-24-09 03:04 PM
    I have been useing this site for information since I got my storm and the idea of peicing together moduales from different OS is the best suggestion yet. I figured out how to copy/past them via- program file>common files> Research in motion> Shared > loader files (you must have more then one os installed on your desktop for this to work) opening the os folder and clicking on the java folder gives the list of modules. I recomend copying all the media files from .86 into .90 the camera from .85 and the start up from .85. I did this and have no issues at all with crashing or freezing during start up and reboot plus i get the new features and speed of .90! Also I have discovered that there is a start up issue with the blutooth on .85 and higher, if you reboot or turn the phone off then on, and the blutooth is on it will cause a freeze durinig start up. this can be solved by turning the blutooth off before you turn your phone off or before a batt pull. You could also try useing an older blutooth modual may be .76.

by the way, you dont have to wipe the phone clean if you havent upgraded to .90. Only if you change .90 and need to reload it. So if you have .86 you can make your changes then upgrade via DM.
    Last edited by solar7647; 01-24-09 at 05:43 PM.
    01-24-09 05:40 PM
    Update:

net_rim_bluetooth.cod

didn't work either.

I downgraded to .75, copied all of the cod files to an external hard drive, used Control Panel to uninstall all OS from my desktop, then reinstalled .90 and copied what I thought were relevant .75 cod files into the .90 build and upgraded the phone. Still have all the features of .90 (which was running pretty smoothly for me), and camera works fine, but still no BT video.
    01-25-09 08:37 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD