I loaded the Boost Mobile OS 5 on my 8330 Curve the other day, but discovered that Opera Mini would not work as it did under 4.5. I tried the OM 5 beta, but that doesn't work either.

I am on the Bell Unlimited Email plan, not data. I have reverted back to to 4.5, as the bonus of having internet access on the Curve outweighs the newer features of OS 5.

Has anyone had any success in getting Opera to function on the Boost OS? Or am I stuck at 4.5? Apart from the lack of a functioning browser, OS 5 was working great on my Curve.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    03-05-10 10:51 AM
    No luck with Opera Mini for me either. It just kept taking me to the setup screen for Opera, no matter how many times I went through it.
    03-05-10 11:47 AM
    My experience, exactly. Let's hope someone can figure this out.
    03-05-10 11:49 AM
    I have 5.0 and I am using Opera Mini to write this post. OM also did not work immediately after installing 5.0 so did just what the OP did and tried out OM beta but I didn't like it. I removed OM beta and tried to re-install OM 4.2. It worked but its a different version of OM 4.2 compared to what I had before, as if it were for a different phone. For instance, clicking the track ball is like the back button and the space bar is for selecting things. There are other differences too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-10 10:29 PM
    I had the same thing happen to me when I 1st installed OM. Amazingly about 48hrs later it magicly fixed its self and works perfectly now.
    Last edited by TnTimberry; 03-06-10 at 09:44 AM.
    03-06-10 09:41 AM
    I will try a re-install of 5.0 in the next few days to see if I can get OM running. Thanks for your comments. I'll let you know if I am successful, or not.
    03-06-10 11:45 AM
    Lilzeus, thank you for your info. I re-installed the Boost 5.0 OS, did a battery pull and then added the latest version of OM 4.2. It worked immediately!

It seems like this version thinks it is operating on a touch screen BB, as the key commands are completely different than when running OM on OS 4.5. The space-bar and track-ball are reversed, with the space-bar operating like pushing the track-ball under the old OS. Also the "Enter" key acts like enter on a computer. "P" goes back a page. "Q" & "I" bring up the Start Page-Bookmarks-Tools Menu. "C" or "N" tab the cursor down. "U" tabs the cursor up. "S" - Page Down. "D" - Page Up.

If anyone has figured out any other shortcuts, please share them.

It is quirky and not all that intuitive, but at least it works and we get to use OS 5, which is a big improvement over 4.5.

Thanks everyone!
    03-07-10 07:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD