Many people would probably like to personalize and stylize their phone, and a screensaver is a way to do that, but people also want to avoid wasting battery power by keeping the backlight on longer than necessary.

Feedback is needed from the user community on how much difference a properly-configured time-limited screensaver makes to battery life with the various devices and usage patterns out there.

5 screensavers are offered, free using coupon SCRTEST841 (up to 40 uses):

Bat Screensaver
    Star Clock-Screensaver
    Ankh Clock-Screensaver
    Cross Clock Screensaver
    USA Flag Screensaver

These screensavers wait until the display times out normally as configured in Options/Screen, then show themselves and hold the backlight on for a specified length of time (which may be zero), then wait for the timeout period specified in Options/Screen to expire again, and then the screen turns off. The default behavior is to extend the 2nd timeout by 1 minute.

The request is that the users who download for this study configure their screensaver however "feels right" to them -- just long enough to be noticed and stylize the phone, but not so long that it's sure to waste the battery.

This is a study of whether users buying such products would end up actually keeping them (because they stylize the phone without ruining performance), or if customers are more likely to discard the product because a practical balance of style and performance couldn't be found.

Thank you in advance for your valuable feedback.
    10-23-09 08:35 PM
    Thanks! In for one!
    10-23-09 08:46 PM
    I like the idea, but I seem to be having trouble. I have a Bold running 4.6.0.297. The screen never turns off. It keeps cycling endlessly. Screen...then screensaver, then screen, then screensaver...over and over again. I really like the color changes and the information displayed (batt charge, temp and time) but clearly I can't keep it on the phone if it doesn't stop this behavior. I'll do a battery pull and see if there's any difference.
    10-23-09 10:08 PM
    I like the idea, but I seem to be having trouble. I have a Bold running 4.6.0.297. The screen never turns off. It keeps cycling endlessly. Screen...then screensaver, then screen, then screensaver...over and over again. I really like the color changes and the information displayed (batt charge, temp and time) but clearly I can't keep it on the phone if it doesn't stop this behavior. I'll do a battery pull and see if there's any difference.
    Which screensaver? I've been running all of them on my phone and haven't seen that happen, but will look at the code again and see how it could happen.

Were you plugged in when this was happening, or just running on battery?
    10-23-09 10:34 PM
    I have the bat running on my 5.0 OS. Everything working fine

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-09 11:04 PM
    Which screensaver? I've been running all of them on my phone and haven't seen that happen, but will look at the code again and see how it could happen.

Were you plugged in when this was happening, or just running on battery?
    My apologies...I should have mentioned it's the Bat screensaver. The problem is still occurring after a battery pull, and it makes no difference if the phone is charging or on battery.

Perhaps another program is interfering? I have no way of knowing really. Let me know if I can provide any more information.
    10-23-09 11:05 PM
    Looks good to me bro!
    10-23-09 11:18 PM
    Thanks dude I got mine , awesome find , thanks again
    10-23-09 11:54 PM
    My apologies...I should have mentioned it's the Bat screensaver. The problem is still occurring after a battery pull, and it makes no difference if the phone is charging or on battery.

Perhaps another program is interfering? I have no way of knowing really. Let me know if I can provide any more information.
    1. When the screensaver turns off... is it happening after the correct time? i.e. if you set the hold time to 0, it should appear after your normal backlight timeout period, and then disappear after the same time again.

2. When it disappears, does the screen fade or blank first and then come back on, or does the screensaver just disappear and the backlight doesn't dim or flicker?

3. When it disappears, does whatever was on the display before reappear, or something else (like the home screen, or the clock)?

4. If the screen screensaver is disabled the backlight turns off properly?

5. Please try setting "Show on relight" off or on, whatever's the opposite of the setting you had before.

Sorry about the problem, and thanks for your help. I don't yet see what could be causing this.
    10-24-09 04:20 AM
    I'm running the star screensaver on 4.6 and can't get the screensaver to turn off on it's own. The star stays on the screen all the time but the clock will fade out and immediately reappear. It's probably just a satting but can't seem to figure it out. Your help would be appreciated.

10-24-09 07:48 AM
    I'm running the star screensaver on 4.6 and can't get the screensaver to turn off on it's own. The star stays on the screen all the time but the clock will fade out and immediately reappear. It's probably just a satting but can't seem to figure it out. Your help would be appreciated.

When the clock does that, does the display flicker at all, as though it turns off for a brief moment and then back on again? And does the app disappear and reveal the homescreen or anything else for a moment? It sounds like it's self-terminating when the backlight tries to turn off, but then the backlight and the app both come back on again. The clock only does its fade & spin when the app is initiated, so if it's spinning, the app was terminated and restarted.

These two problems being discussed here may be related, and specific to 4.6. I'm looking into it and will try to reproduce it on a Bold simulator.
    10-24-09 11:38 AM
    Yes it does flicker but only very briefly. Hope you can sort it.

10-24-09 02:18 PM
    I downloaded the flag screensaver. Works fine on a Bold running .266 very nice screensaver. Thank you for the coupon.

10-24-09 06:28 PM
    Yes it does flicker but only very briefly. Hope you can sort it.

Somehow the app is terminating as it should but immediately being restarted by the autostarter. The autostarter should only trigger it when the backlight times out if it's plugged in and set as the charging monitor. Have you tried it with "charging monitor" unchecked? If it were erroneously thinking it's plugged in then it would trigger on timeout if "charging monitor" is checked.
    10-24-09 07:31 PM
    I downloaded the Cross screensaver/charging montior and its great. I did however have one issue. After it reaches 100% it doesn't turn off, even though I have the setting to Stop charging monitor after the target is reached, and the target is set at 100.
    10-24-09 08:24 PM
    I downloaded the Cross screensaver/charging montior and its great. I did however have one issue. After it reaches 100% it doesn't turn off, even though I have the setting to Stop charging monitor after the target is reached, and the target is set at 100.
    Argh, that was tested and working. Must have broken it when fixing something else. There's a delay variable that applies to both fixed-delay and 'after target reached'. I'll look into that.
    10-24-09 10:46 PM
    very well done nice , clean, I like the battery temp and the way it tracks the battery charge ... BUT, I dont think I'd use it , now if it were a icon with the battery life and temp then In would use
    10-25-09 02:26 AM
    very well done nice , clean, I like the battery temp and the way it tracks the battery charge ... BUT, I dont think I'd use it , now if it were a icon with the battery life and temp then In would use
    That would be easy as cake if there's a demand for it.

What about an icon with the info and then a screen fade without making it stay on as long as a screensaver? Like a sports channel fade -- whenever the screen turns off it fades to a graphic for a second and then to black. that would add some style without making any significant impact on battery
    10-25-09 03:09 AM
    I unchecked �charging monitor� and the only difference is it now shows the homescreen for a split second then restarts screensaver. This continues on a loop.

10-25-09 03:24 AM
    Ok after some playing around, I am having the same issue as w_bovine is. While on battery power, after my backlight goes out, the flag screensaver comes on. I have it set for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds the backlight comes back on again and starts the whole process over again. I'm on a Bold running .266. While I am using it on the charger the screensaver will stay on until the target goal is reached and then will return to whatever screen I had on prior to it being plugged in. Because I am using bblight and I have the bblight set for the backlight to always remain on while plugged in I'm not getting the continuous cycle I am getting on battery power. Something is triggering the backlight to come back on while on battery power and starts the whole screensaver/backlight cycle over and over.

10-25-09 05:42 AM
    Ok after some playing around, I am having the same issue as w_bovine is. While on battery power, after my backlight goes out, the flag screensaver comes on. I have it set for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds the backlight comes back on again and starts the whole process over again. I'm on a Bold running .266. While I am using it on the charger the screensaver will stay on until the target goal is reached and then will return to whatever screen I had on prior to it being plugged in. Because I am using bblight and I have the bblight set for the backlight to always remain on while plugged in I'm not getting the continuous cycle I am getting on battery power. Something is triggering the backlight to come back on while on battery power and starts the whole screensaver/backlight cycle over and over.

OK, I just downloaded the .266 Bold simulator and will work on this. Thanks much for finding this out.
    10-25-09 05:45 AM

I am unable to reproduce this problem. It works perfectly on the simulators, including the Bold sim, and on my real 8330. As for the charging-target auto-stop not working, it does work when it crosses the threshold, i.e. it was below the target at some point and then achieved the target. However, it does not work if the target had already been reached or surpassed when the charging monitor started. I remember intentionally programming I Charge Cool this way (and these screensavers are derived from that code), but don't remember why I did that and will change the behavior so it always works.

Right now I can't see how the screensaver problem could be happening, but I will go over every line of the starter's code and try again to figure this out. It's possibly due to interference between the screensaver and another app.
    10-25-09 06:17 AM
    I am unable to reproduce this problem. It works perfectly on the simulators, including the Bold sim, and on my real 8330. As for the charging-target auto-stop not working, it does work when it crosses the threshold, i.e. it was below the target at some point and then achieved the target. However, it does not work if the target had already been reached or surpassed when the charging monitor started. I remember intentionally programming I Charge Cool this way (and these screensavers are derived from that code), but don't remember why I did that and will change the behavior so it always works.

Right now I can't see how the screensaver problem could be happening, but I will go over every line of the starter's code and try again to figure this out. It's possibly due to interference between the screensaver and another app.
    Perhaps I didn't state what I meant well enough. While plugged in, the screensaver app is functioning correctly. When the target goal is reached, the screensaver shuts off. Because I have bblight installed and set for the backlight to always be on while charging, when the target goal is reached the screensaver simply shuts down and the phone returns to the home screen. This part of your screensaver is working. Its only under battery power that it continously cycles from screensaver to backlight to screensaver and so forth.

I have purchased I Charge Cool also but I'm not certain of how the two will work together. Right now the flag screensaver is the only thing turning on when I charge my device.

The only other app that I know of that I have that affects the backlight is bblight but I have that set to only keep the backlight on while under external power.

Last edited by scottmolson; 10-25-09 at 06:33 AM.
    10-25-09 06:28 AM
    Perhaps I didn't state what I meant well enough. While plugged in, the screensaver app is functioning correctly. When the target goal is reached, the screensaver shuts off. Because I have bblight installed and set for the backlight to always be on while charging, when the target goal is reached the screensaver simply shuts down and the phone returns to the home screen. This part of your screensaver is working. Its only under battery power that it continously cycles from screensaver to backlight to screensaver and so forth.

I have purchased I Charge Cool also but I'm not certain of how the two will work together. Right now the flag screensaver is the only thing turning on when I charge my device.

The only other app that I know of that I have that affects the backlight is bblight but I have that set to only keep the backlight on while under external power.

Here's my theory. There are two ways I know of to keep the backlight on. One keeps it on continuously, the other allows it to fade or flick out periodically and then re-activate immediately. My theory is that bblight is using the latter method, which would -for sure- cause the exact phenomenon you're seeing. It works like this:

1. The Flag terminates itself one way or another -- if it was in screensaver mode, the backlight would turn off at the moment of termination, or if it was in charging monitor mode the backlight would not turn off immediately, just begin counting down toward its normal timeout.

2. Whether immediate or deferred, the backlight does time out and try to turn off, and then (in my theory) bblight turns it back on. The Flag notices that and assumes you are again using the phone. Then the backlight times out, and both bblight and the Flag get notified of that. Both turn it back on, and to the Flag that looks like it's time for the screensaver to come up again -- it appeared that you were using the phone and then put it down and it timed out, and that's exactly when a screensaver should appear.

3. Then we're right back to #1.

If you have "Show on relight" checked, that's where the screensaver would flick out for a moment and then reappear but stay on -- the screensaver times out, bblight turns the display back on, and the screensaver shows itself again just as it's been configured to.

If you have "Show on relight" off, that's where the homescreen would show and then after the backlight times out again, the screensaver reappears.

The Flag in screensaver mode is not compatible with an app that keeps the backlight on, but if bblight only does that when plugged in, the Flag would be in chargemon mode at that time. In that case it should be compatible with an app that keeps the backlight on by the continuous method, but would not be compatible with an app that keeps the backlight on by the reactive method (turning it back on immediately when it tries to turn off).

----------

As for combining I Charge Cool and a screensaver, just uncheck "Charging Monitor" in the screensaver but leave "Start Automatically" and "Screensaver" checked, and then turn I Charge Cool on with "Start Immediately", and they should integrate fine -- when you plug in, the screensaver will cede to I Charge Cool, and when you unplug, ICC will disappear and the screensaver will reappear after the next timeout.

And I think that's the answer in 5000 words or less.
    Last edited by LSphone; 10-25-09 at 07:24 AM.
    10-25-09 07:15 AM
    Ok but this only happens under battery power, bblight isn't active during that period according to my settings for it. Or am I missing something?

10-25-09 07:42 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD