I really cannot believe that there is not a 3rd party app that will allow you to install and run other apps from the memory card. I understand that RIM does not want to do this (... there is NO reason good enough to not allow apps on memory cards), but I find it hard to believe that a 3rd party company has not come up with this. RIM is really shooting themselves in the foot. They have an app store for crying out loud. If I could install apps to a memory card, I'd be an app buying fool, but I do not because of lack of memory.
    09-28-09 11:07 AM
    I'm assuming they are preventing this for security reasons, but it also looks like a relict from back in the day when BB wasn't a consumer devide. I too would find the option to install apps on the memory card great though. If someone knows of an app that does this, please do share!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-09 11:45 AM
    09-28-09 11:58 AM
    Perhaps it's because they want to give people a reason to upgrade to a newer device?? I notice how each newer device seems to have more application memory available on it. I figure that RIM is more interested in selling phones than apps. If you get an ideal device, say like your dependable Curve, why would you upgrade to a Tour or an Odin or whatever new device comes out? You might take the jump because you want wi-fi or more application memory? Exactly.
    09-28-09 12:00 PM
    There are very good reasons why it not done that way.

Sun Java VM, the heart of the BlackBerry software, requires addressable memory for applications. The internal memory is addressable, the media card is not.

The media card is serial memory, it functions much like the hard disk drive on your computer. When you request data, it is transferred in serial order to the addressable memory in the computer.

BlackBerry does not support that for security reasons. There is no way to introduce virus or other malware from the media card.
    09-28-09 12:44 PM
    Re: Aerize Card Loader

I don't use it but found it doing a google search. What's your reasoning?
    09-28-09 01:06 PM
    Worth a try?

Aerize Card Loader
    I would like to buy it to try it but I'm a little hesitant. It doesn't say anything about launching the apps while they are in the SD card. It states that you can swap them from your card to your internal memory.

If anybody has this software can you let us know if you can run your apps from your card?

Please and Thank you!
    09-28-09 01:09 PM
    My reasoning is that Aerize market/advertize their app as something that it really is not. That application is complete b*******t and anyone who supports it does not deserve to have a BlackBerry.

In other words it doesn't load applications from your media card, instead, when "loading" an application from the media card Aerize silently installs it in device memory and loads it up from there and when "unloading" that application Aerize actually removes it from device memory. Something you can do with just a few seconds extra time completely free.
    09-28-09 01:10 PM
    I would like to buy it to try it but I'm a little hesitant. It doesn't say anything about launching the apps while they are in the SD card. It states that you can swap them from your card to your internal memory.

If anybody has this software can you let us know if you can run your apps from your card?

Please and Thank you!
    I thought I read on there that there is a 7 day trial. You could always load it up and load some apps and see if your app memory stays the same.
    09-28-09 01:11 PM
    Re: Aerize Card Loader

I really cannot believe that there is not a 3rd party app that will allow you to install and run other apps from the memory card. I understand that RIM does not want to do this (... there is NO reason good enough to not allow apps on memory cards), but I find it hard to believe that a 3rd party company has not come up with this. RIM is really shooting themselves in the foot. They have an app store for crying out loud. If I could install apps to a memory card, I'd be an app buying fool, but I do not because of lack of memory.
    clearly stated for ya
    09-28-09 01:12 PM
    I thought I read on there that there is a 7 day trial. You could always load it up and load some apps and see if your app memory stays the same.
    Oh you can try it, your right....going to do so now.

THANKS!
    09-28-09 01:13 PM
    Just a word of warning; lots of users (search CrackBerry if you want) have reported issues with applications not running properly, maybe due to missing CODs et cetera, but also there are reports that some applications need to have the BlackBerry restart after deletion and because Aerize deletes an application from Device Memory after "unloading" it also means you must restart your BlackBerry. Can be annoying and the overall process is slow if you want to load from the Media Card since Aerize first needs to install the application to Device Memory. So not only does Aerize cost you money, it also costs you time and makes you restart your BlackBerry when you actually don't want it to. Judge for yourself whether it is a keeper or not.
    09-28-09 01:26 PM
    Thanks for the heads up, I'm halting my install. Don't feel like dealing with the underlying issues
    09-28-09 01:36 PM
    Sorry...I have heard the whole "security" arguement before. Don't care. Make it work RIM. At least give me the choice...give me an app that will allow me to install and run memory card apps and label it clearly that it is a huge security risk, the sky will fall, etc...and then let me click "I do not care."
    As far as the software issues...everything can be worked around. I don't see why a 3rd party company does not write an app for this and make a fortune. I love my BB, but I might go back to Windows Mobile if they drag their heels too much longer on this.

09-28-09 01:36 PM
    My reasoning is that Aerize market/advertize their app as something that it really is not. That application is complete b*******t and anyone who supports it does not deserve to have a BlackBerry.

In other words it doesn't load applications from your media card, instead, when "loading" an application from the media card Aerize silently installs it in device memory and loads it up from there and when "unloading" that application Aerize actually removes it from device memory. Something you can do with just a few seconds extra time completely free.
    Thanks Shinkodachi for pointing that out, no way I'm going to get Aerize if it fakes its main purpose.

Wuzz Ranger: If you're going to try it, please let us know if your memory has improved. I doubt that though, if anything the app itself will consume more memory when running, which is the exact opposite of the purpose.
    09-28-09 01:41 PM
    @cem: well the sky will fall if you happen to install important applications on the Media Card and the Media Card gets corrupt. That means no applications too!

There are technical issues with utilizing a Media Card for application installs. Mr. McLay explained that very well above. On the not so technical side I do see how it would be a convenient feature for the user to be able to install applications on to the Media Card, but believe me it has its short comings too.
    09-28-09 01:41 PM
    Thanks for the heads up, I'm halting my install. Don't feel like dealing with the underlying issues
    Ha, just read your post. Nvm
    09-28-09 01:44 PM
    I am willing to risk installing apps to memory card and losing everything to a corrupted card. I love my BB, but I had a winmo device for a long time and while I had many issues with it, I never had an issue with installing and running apps from the memory card. Just like I have no problems installing and running apps from my external harddrive on my PC.

10-17-09 03:15 PM
    I don't mean to dispute anything already said, and the comments are very interesting. I've been using the card loader for 3 months, have a slew of apps installed, and it works very well for me on my Curve.

I'd buy it again without any hesitations.
    10-17-09 07:48 PM
    Let me make sure I am correctly understanding how this card loader works. When you want to run an app, it installs it to your phone as normal, and then, when you are done with it, uninstalls it again? How is that any different from the "archive" feature of BB App World?

10-17-09 07:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD