What is up with .167 and the degrading available app memory. When I first installed the is I had at least 42 mb but a couple of weeks later I restart my phone and it max's @ 35mb and ultimately drops to 30mb. I did not have this problem with .151. This is does not handle memory very well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-09 02:54 PM
    Im on .167 and have no problems like what. what applications do you have installed on it and your not keeping all of your messages and emails are you?
    09-10-09 03:00 PM
    I've got:
    Thompson Reuters news pro
    Light saber
    Berryscanner
    Weatherbug
    Extra light
    B of a
    Shotgun
    Quick pull 2.0
    Berry unit converter
    V cast song I'd
    You tube

Do any of these have known leaks?

09-10-09 03:05 PM
    I've got:
    Thompson Reuters news pro
    Light saber
    Berryscanner
    Weatherbug
    Extra light
    B of a
    Shotgun
    Quick pull 2.0
    Berry unit converter
    V cast song I'd
    You tube

Do any of these have known leaks?

Im gonna post what i know hopefully somebody with better knowledge will come and clarify after me but ive heard terrible things about weather bug leaking bad and most news apps for that matter, V cast song id never was really stable for me idk about leaks on that though. but thats all I know so lets hope somebody with more experience comes and adds what they know. atleast i tried to help alot
    09-10-09 03:08 PM
    I have the same degradation of memory...kind of like .148 was. It's definitely not as strong as .151 was in regards to memory management. You're not the first to notice...it's been mentioned many times.

I do like the speed of .167.
    09-10-09 03:10 PM
    What is up with .167 and the degrading available app memory. When I first installed the is I had at least 42 mb but a couple of weeks later I restart my phone and it max's @ 35mb and ultimately drops to 30mb. I did not have this problem with .151. This is does not handle memory very well.

so what where you running before 167 and a few weeks ago, 167 has only been out for 1 week. Different OS with take up more or less room. Was the 42 MBs with 151 and now with 167 you have 35 MBs?
    09-10-09 03:19 PM
    Same issue here. Before yesterday, booted at 40 and degraded to 32ish. Now, boots at 36 and degrades from there, though it does seem to leak more slowly.

Running:
    Time Magazine
    Weatherbug
    B of A
    Quick pull 2.0
    V cast song I'd
    VVM
    Google Maps
    Yankee Mobile
    Forward Reply and Edit
    App World
    09-10-09 03:32 PM

20 meg of app memory free after a full week of use with no reboots. No lag in sight. I would say .167 handles itself fine, but that's just my opinion.
    09-10-09 03:42 PM
    I've noticed the same. With .151 my memory stayed at about 48-50 consistently. With .167 it slowly drops by about .2-.5 a day regardless of what I'm doing. The reboot started at 48 now I'm down to 43.2mb 8 days later.

However .167 has worked so well for me I don't mind if I have to battery pull every few weeks if it continues to drop.
    09-10-09 03:43 PM
    Memory is there to be used. As long as it comes back, or stabilizes at some point and you are not seeing performance degrade then it is not an

09-10-09 04:25 PM
    Memory is there to be used. As long as it comes back, or stabilizes at some point and you are not seeing performance degrade then it is not an issue. Is it leaking all the way down to 0?

.167 is doing more then .151 was with transitions and other stuff. So it is probably riding lower in avail mem. Heck I was starting at 50 on .151 but only start at about 35 on .191. Memory stays in the high 20 to low 30 range. But it isn't leaking and performance is rocking.

So my point is don't sweat it unless it degrades with use to the point that performance takes a hit.

We are all too memory sensitive from earlier builds.

09-10-09 04:33 PM
    The memory on .167 is disappointing. And memory doesn't have to degrade down to zero to be an issue. I love how people have become accustomed to dealing with memory leaks on blackberry phones. It more of a joke than Rim not being able to make a stable OS. Fortunately .191 shows signs of being a stable OS, but time will tell.

Last edited by tmp3150; 09-10-09 at 04:59 PM.
    09-10-09 04:45 PM
    The memory on .167 is disappointing. And memory doesn't have to degrade down to zero to be an issue. I love how people have become accustomed to dealing with memory leaks on blackberry phones. It more of a joke than Rim not being able to make a stable OS. Fortunately .191 shows signs of being a stable OS, but time will tell.

True. I mean more that performance is an issue, not just that you see it dropping.

09-10-09 08:43 PM
    Speaking from experience, .151 was better at managing memory, but .167 is pretty good. For what it is worth, I removed weatherbug a while ago. A great app, but my phone leaked memory on all OS versions with it installed. Try a different weather program and see if it helps.
    09-10-09 09:01 PM
    So keeping texts and emails contributes as well? Sorry for the newbie ? I just thought if I kepted them for 15 days I would be good.
    09-11-09 09:29 AM
    Check out THIS THREAD
    and THIS LINK.
    Also deleting all your messages SMS & MMS, both inboxes & outboxes & call logs helps too.
    09-11-09 10:32 AM
    get rid of weather bug. ned to know what the weather is like , look out the window. lol seriously though weatherbug is known for causing problems. unload it and run your phone a few days and i bet youll see a big difference
    09-11-09 04:32 PM

Agreed, .191 is very stable. So much so that frequent memory checks are no longer necessary. However, I still find myself checking my app memory from time to time just to see how it's doing. I have to somehow find a way to break the habit now that my OS is much more stable. I suppose it's one of those good problems...
    09-11-09 05:34 PM
    I have the same degradation of memory...kind of like .148 was. It's definitely not as strong as .151 was in regards to memory management. You're not the first to notice...it's been mentioned many times.

I do like the speed of .167.
    I'm with grey on this one.

The degradation is just about as same as .148 compared to .151 although i like the speed of .167 and being able to click the time for the clock app or the radio meter to get the manage connections settings.

I'll stay with it for now but might go back to .151 despite the unstable radio signal depending on the degradation when it really irks me.
    09-11-09 06:04 PM
    I have to laugh. When I had .191 I used to check it always just to make sure it was stable and it was but nonetheless I still check it often.

Agreed, .191 is very stable. So much so that frequent memory checks are no longer necessary. However, I still find myself checking my app memory from time to time just to see how it's doing. I have to somehow find a way to break the habit now that my OS is much more stable. I suppose it's one of those good problems...
    09-14-09 09:01 PM
    .167 seems to be stable. What I do is install the os, wait a few days to see if memory drops. If not I keep the os then install apps one at a time to see if there is a problem with the app and os together. Then I add a second app, see how it does and so on. This is the best way to trouble shoot memory problems.

Should you decide to use a theme install the os, make sure it is stable, add the theme and see if there is a memory leak. If so, ditch the theme. If not, keep it. Once those two are stable add your apps one at a time to see if the memory degrades.

This is a pain but the only true way I have found to check for memory leaks.

You can also use the event logger to see if any apps have errors. If so delete the app.
    09-14-09 09:12 PM
    I don't know where it all started but I have to say app memory really doesn't matter folks. I did my best to stop looking at it a while ago and am all the happier for it. I got Meterberry and set it to let me know if the phone gets to 10mb and it hasn't happened yet. Give it a reboot every three or four days and you will never have to worry about it. If you love the performance of 167 and the fact that everything but themes work top notch than help me help you by saying STOP LOOKING AT THE MEMORY SCREEN!
    09-14-09 09:21 PM
    My memory does indeed drop on 167, slower than 148 though (at dropping memory).

It is a super quick OS though, great transitions, no slacker radio issues. I will be keeping it.

I thought maybe my first install didn't go right, since my memory after ~6 hours would drop from 32MB to ~5MB and then require a reboot. I just reinstalled today, starting with 42MB after installing my apps (55.5MB after first batt pull before apps). It is dropping close to 8MB per hour. And it doesn't seem to be recovering that memory either. Even using meterberry's memory cleaning I only gain a MB or two.

Don't know what to think, but again, it is faster than 148 so I will stay with it.
    09-20-09 01:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD