Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Torch + .214 = Happier Camper!

Hey,
    Just wanted to give a shout out to all those still on the fence about upgrading your OS to the leaked .214.

DON'T WAIT ANOTHER SECOND!

I came from a Curve to a 9000 to the 9800. The Torch in it's stock configuration was a way better experience than my other B/Berrys. (yes the Bold had the best speakers and keyboard to date)

While my first 9800 had the 'clacking' slider, (which I exchanged the next day) I really didn't experience most of the other issues some here seem to have. Consequently, I was hesitant to upgrade my OS cause I thought my Torch was working pretty darn well.

I did experience the 'robo-cop' audio on some calls but it wasn't every call and since I've had my device since launch day, I thought I'd give good ol' ATT a chance to push something official out. But alas, who knows when that might be... so Tuesday, after reading all the raves here, I upgraded to .214.

I can't believe how wonderfully different this phone operates. Like I said, I really didn't have issues but with the upgrade this thing works so freakin' smooth. I'm shocked I didn't see it. Tin can audio fixed 100% All audio seems louder and clearer. Browser is smokin' fast and the small refinements are a welcomed addition. ZERO lag... none... switching screens... whatever, it's instantaneous. I swear I have better coverage and the battery life is slightly better as well. Typing and touch screen are dead on. I did get the "unable install wireless sync" error when loading but I haven't found that to cause any problems yet.

So... there you have it. After a several weeks of owning a really good device... this thing has become a GREAT device!
    My opinion on the .214 upgrade... 0 - cons... all - pros

If the Torch doesn't light your fire, your wood is all wet!

Just my 2˘... your mileage may vary.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    22F04940

I wouldn't say 0 cons as it does have some bugs but overall, it is a better build than the original OS. And yes, everyone who owns the device should upgrade unless they are satisfied with the original OS.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

I agree. The only "issue" I see with .214 is that the 3rd Party Apps screen is blank.
    Life is too short to spend time messing with Windows Computers, and any phone but a Blackberry.
    Apple Computers and Blackberrys never let you down.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,092 Global Posts

It's great. I'm happy with my Torch.
    Another Day in Paradise
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,239 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by That70sGAdawg View Post
    I agree. The only "issue" I see with .214 is that the 3rd Party Apps screen is blank.
    If you're talking about options/3rd party applications - that shows only apps that are designed to have their settings configured through the BB options instead of through their own program.

For example, I have a dozen apps installed but only PatternLock and BerryBuzz show up there.

If you don't have any apps like that, it will be empty.

To get to the application management page, go to options/device/application management
    CrackBerry Abuser

people are saying the browser is faster as well - we need a head to head comparison stock vs .214 - someone post this on youtube!!
    CrackBerry User

I was in my last week of the 30 day trial and after the .214 upgrade, i've decided to keep my torch. They should have delivered it with .214.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hi

I've never upgrades before. i always wait for AT&T, so that means, again, I've never upgraded

How do I do it? What's the risk? Thanks!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

There's a big improvement with .214. I was set to dump the phone two days ago. This changes everything...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,239 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwmax View Post
    Hi

I've never upgrades before. i always wait for AT&T, so that means, again, I've never upgraded

I say go for it - you'll learn a lot along the way and always be able to make your device better.

Check out this link for instructions:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/off...ml#post5565147

The biggest risk is that you are installing a beta leaked OS that is unstable or full of bugs. That risk is pretty much completely mitigated by the people at CrackBerry who test it out and report the findings. Based on a thread like this one, you know it's good!

You can always screw up your phone temporarily if you mess up the process but there are guides on CrackBerry to recover from a "bricked" phone - though personally I've never had this happen to me.

People here are always willing to help - if you have issues, post in that thread I linked above.

ALWAYS remember to BACKUP YOUR PHONE before doing an upgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreii View Post
    Uninstall any OLD BlackBerry OS versions from your computer.

Install .214 to your computer.

Plug in your phone and use Desktop Manager 6.0 (DM) to make a backup of your device.

Close DM and go to:

C:\program files(86)\common files\research in motion\apploader\

From there delete vendor.xml then run loader.exe

Follow the instructions - make sure you look closely at the list of items that have or do not have check marks next to them so you install what you want and don't install what you don't want.

When the popup asks if it should make a backup of your device and restore your 3rd party apps, it should be selected to do it. Do not change it.

Wait about 15-20 minutes for the process to complete and your phone to reboot completely before disconnecting. You will probably get an EntryPoint error at the end - do not worry.

Enjoy and let us know how it went. Always remember it takes several battery pulls while you're getting your phone running again before the OS becomes stable. If it seems slow at first just give it some time to do it's thing and when it seems to have caught up, do another battery pull.

Good luck!
    Last edited by jeffreii; 09-10-2010 at 11:18 AM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thanks. I just backed up my phone today.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,074 Global Posts
    PIN
    just ask

Quote Originally Posted by jwmax View Post
    Hi

theres always risks but nothing that can't be fixed...so far every phone i thought i bricked i was able to recover some way or another...your best advantage is to learn right now since if for some reason you royally screw something up (pretty much impossible) you can always take it back to at&t and tell them it just stopped working...
    so now risks aside personally i highly recommend it and its very easy...basically this is wut u have to do:

1. Download the update
    2. Install the update
    3. Delete the vendor.xml file located here:
    c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    or here
    c:\program files(x86)\common files\research in motion\apploader
    4. Open the new desktop manager and connect your phone, the desktop manager will recognize your phone and new software installed and will ask to update.

Alternatively you can just start the apploader but i recommend step 4 for now it'll be easier especially for a first run.
    5. Wait for your software to complete update (it will backup all your info for you), the process can take a while sometimes so be patient and throughout the process DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR PHONE let it complete all the way.
    6. Enjoy your phone
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN

it sounds all good for .214 upgrade
    What we do in life echoes in eternity.
    CrackBerry Genius

doing the upgrade now..
    too bad the links here at Crackberry are no longer usable..
    i have to download it at another blogger's website..
    a simple google search will do.

CrackBerry Addict

Upgraded and very happy. Things seem smoother. Anyway I was already very satisified with the very first 6.0.0135ROM. The only gripe I have is it doesn't support East Asia inputs. Someone had posted a file which enabled East Asia display but no East Asia inputs. RIM, did you hear us living in Asia?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Everything is improved except browsing. It's still at least a notch below Android, which is almost as good as iPhone now. It still has the checkerboard effect and squeeze to zoom is less than perfect. Also, pages do not load any faster with this upgrade. That is a myth, or wishful thinking. They just don't load any faster.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,074 Global Posts
    PIN
    just ask

Quote Originally Posted by rje View Post
    Everything is improved except browsing. It's still at least a notch below Android, which is almost as good as iPhone now. It still has the checkerboard effect and squeeze to zoom is less than perfect. Also, pages do not load any faster with this upgrade. That is a myth, or wishful thinking. They just don't load any faster.
    for blackberry this is still a huge improvement...if you've used any previous blackberry devices the browsing is garbage compared to this. The new webkit is phenominal. I agree with you on the fact that its def not like android or i phone but i wouldn't say its out of the runnin now...before it was not even close now u can deal with the extra 2-5 seconds it takes on bb compared to iphone or android.

Hopefully more os updates and improvement within the webkit will make things faster...just keep an eye open for new os releases and read what user input is on them...good luck and hopefully it will b there soon.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Bottom line. Processor speed. Forget about previous Blackberries. This is the here and now. The Torch with a 1 GB processor would be a monster.
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    19,558 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

I actually don't like monsters. They tend to smell and they generally have terrible table manners....

Upgrading later today. This has been **** week.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Nobody says you have to eat with it. When was the last time you sniffed a monster?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts

I can't wait for RIM to post this on their BB website. I just don't download leaked OS from somewhere (security issue) except RIM.

Hopefully it's soon as it's only 5 days away from the Rogers launch! and I hope it bundles with the East Asian Language too, so two birds in one shot!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,239 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gameson View Post
    I can't wait for RIM to post this on their BB website. I just don't download leaked OS from somewhere (security issue) except RIM.
    Even when hundreds of people have tested it with no problems?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN

Default count

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreii View Post
    Even when hundreds of people have tested it with no problems?
    Does someone have an actual count on this? I like official software too, but if it takes to long i will go the leaked route. I just do not want to download a virus that will route my calls to somewhere else where a hacker can listen to them and/or read my txt messages.
    What we do in life echoes in eternity.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sainthak View Post
    Does someone have an actual count on this? I like official software too, but if it takes to long i will go the leaked route. I just do not want to download a virus that will route my calls to somewhere else where a hacker can listen to them and/or read my txt messages.
    Exactly why I prefer to wait. There are many version hosted in many different website. Who knows who has embedded what in one of these versions...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,239 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sainthak View Post
    Read these for starters:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/upg...-214-a-525538/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/off...ndings-525148/

Quote Originally Posted by gameson View Post
    Exactly why I prefer to wait. There are many version hosted in many different website. Who knows who has embedded what in one of these versions...
    Do you know how difficult that would probably be? I have never once heard of something like that happening with a leaked OS. I think you're being overly paranoid but then again I don't know what kind of top-secret stuff you've got on your phone!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast