how to upgrade bb8900 OS without active services.
i don't have active Blackberry services on my device.
but i wan't to upgrade my device to 5.x to 4.x
how can i do it.
when updating via DM it says
"To enjoy the latest functionality from the selected blackberry devices software upgrade, you 'll need a active blackberry subscription
visit BlackBerry - Mobile Software - PDA Downloads & PDA Software at BlackBerry.com to learn more about blackberry services"
how to deal with this.
i am getting new connection in 8 Jan.
- CrackBerry Newbie
01-03-2010, 11:04 AM #2
- 2 Posts
I don't know if you're all sorted out... but I recently had the same problem.
Here's how I upgraded...
I'm using an unlocked Verizon Storm on AT&T network. I tried to upgrade from 4.x to 5.x, and I got exactly the same message as you.
I don’t really know the technicality of the steps I’m about to list, but I tried different combination of tricks and this one happened to work!
You need to have an active Verizon phone number to be able to download Device software 5.x on Verizon website (I used a friend’s Verizon number).
I removed the AT&T sim card and put back the Verizon sim card into the Storm. I also enable the Verizon 1xEV network.
Also, dialed ## 000000, and edited the mobile directory number to my friend’s Verizon number (WARNING: Don’t edit anything else on this page).
After phone restarted, I went to Option > Advanced Options > SIM Card. I typed MEPD, and edited the SIM Phone number to my friend’s Verizon number.
Now Phone is ready for upgrade.
1. Installed Desktop Manager 5.0.1 (with Microsoft NET Framework 2.0 already installed);
2. Installed Blackberry Device Software 5.x;
3. Deleted the vendor.xml file located in C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader;
4. Installed MFI Multiloader 126.96.36.199 (You need setup file and MML folder usually over a gig)
5. Copied BbDevMgr.exe from C:\MML\bin to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\USB Drivers;
6. With Blackberry disconnected from PC, I opened MFI Multiloader shortcut on desktop or C:\MML\bin
7. Then I made sure Full erase and Auto Start were checked;
8. I connected my Blackberry through USB (BB drivers will be installed if necessary) and waited for MFI to show error message in red;
9. Closed MFI and started Desktop Manager; It prompted me to update;
It updated to Device Software 188.8.131.528 that I installed in step 2.
After upgrade, I undid all the changes I made earlier… the mobile directory number and SIM Phone number... and I put back my AT&T sim.
Last edited by letters; 01-03-2010 at 11:10 AM.
- CrackBerry Newbie
01-04-2010, 03:16 AM #4
- 2 Posts
I understand… it can be overwhelming.
Ok… you need the following things in order to get it to work
1. Verizon Sim Card and phone number
2. Desktop Manager 5.0.1
3. Blackberry Device Software 5.x
4. MFI Multiloader
5. Microsoft NET Framework 2.0
You need a physical SIM card for this to work… at least that’s what worked for me (I’m only giving you how I was able to get mine to upgrade despite the “To enjoy the latest functionality” error message. You also need an active Verizon number… any active Verizon number will do. In my case, I used my friend’s Verizon number.
1. Make sure you have Microsoft NET Framework 2.0 already installed on your computer; you can download it here: (Download details: .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86))
2. Download Blackberry Desktop Software (BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software - BlackBerry Software at BlackBerry.com)
3. Download Device software 5.x on Verizon website. You will need the Verizon number to download the file (BlackBerryÂ® Software Updates).
4. Delete the vendor.xml file located in C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader;
5. Download MFI Multiloader 184.108.40.206 or earlier editions (google search it… you should find it online somewhere. It usually contains an MML Setup file and MML Folder).
6. Copy BbDevMgr.exe from C:\MML\bin to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\USB Drivers;
7. Remove the AT&T sim card and put back the Verizon sim card into the Storm.
8. Enable Verizon CDMA 1xEV network.
9. Dial ## 000000, and edit the mobile directory number to the Verizon number (WARNING: Don’t edit anything else on this page).
10. After phone restarts, go to Option > Advanced Options > SIM Card. Type MEPD and edit the SIM Phone number to the Verizon number.
11. With Blackberry disconnected from PC, I open MFI Multiloader shortcut on desktop or C:\MML\bin
12. Make sure Full erase and Auto Start are checked;
13. Connect Blackberry through USB (BB drivers will be installed if necessary) and wait for MFI to show error message in red;
14. Close MFI and start Desktop Manager; It should prompted you to update;
15. After update, put back your AT&T Sim card, change the mobile directory number to your AT&T number, and change the SIM Phone number to your AT&T number
If you have questions, be specific so I can know how to address it.