I love the BlackBerry Motion. After I had the PRIV and the DTEK50, which in my opinion were below BlackBerry standards, I believe the Motion is the first Android device by BlackBerry that is actually on par with the competition (and surpasses it it many regards) and brings back the premium feel of BlackBerry during the BB10 days.

However I have some doubts about the Diamond nano anti-scratch coating of which BlackBerry claims the Motion is resistant to scratches.

I always wear jeans in my leasure time with the Motion in my pocket. Last week I bought a new pair of jeans and after a day my Motion was full with scratches at the bottom (around the home button). Apparantly, a rivet above my pocket made the scratches. What the hell, Blackberry?! This screen was supposed to resist these things!

Anyone else have experiences like this with the Motion's screen? Have you tested the scratch resisted screen?
    02-22-18 03:18 AM
    I love the BlackBerry Motion. After I had the PRIV and the DTEK50, which in my opinion were below BlackBerry standards, I believe the Motion is the first Android device by BlackBerry that is actually on par with the competition (and surpasses it it many regards) and brings back the premium feel of BlackBerry during the BB10 days.

However I have some doubts about the Diamond nano anti-scratch coating of which BlackBerry claims the Motion is resistant to scratches.

I always wear jeans in my leasure time with the Motion in my pocket. Last week I bought a new pair of jeans and after a day my Motion was full with scratches at the bottom (around the home button). Apparantly, a rivet above my pocket made the scratches. What the hell, Blackberry?! This screen was supposed to resist these things!

Anyone else have experiences like this with the Motion's screen? Have you tested the scratch resisted screen?
    It's been tested by "JerryRigEverything", take a look on YouTube. It does very well indeed compared to more expensive devices. For example take a look at the damage he does to the much more expensive Iphone8.
    Rico4you likes this.
    02-22-18 03:28 AM
    Funny, I really wonder why my Motion has bee scratched so heavily by just a rivet in my jeans.
    02-22-18 03:41 AM
    Funny, I really wonder why my Motion has bee scratched so heavily by just a rivet in my jeans.
    Exactly the same thing happened to my Motion. It is sensitive and very susceptible to scratches. I have a long scratch right on the screen from day 4 of getting the device and it occurred while taking out the device from the back pocket of my jeans.
    02-22-18 04:05 AM
    Perhaps protect the screen? I just use the Ringke film (and not a full screen protector).
    02-22-18 07:43 AM
    Mine lives, happily, in a pouch. When I use it, raw phone... then back to bed.
    02-22-18 07:59 AM
    Glass is glass.
    02-22-18 08:27 AM

You're complaining a rivet scratched your phone? You do know resistant doesn't mean your phone won't scratch right?
    02-22-18 10:13 AM

This can happen if there is a constant friction from the rivet.
    02-22-18 11:24 AM
    Interesting. As as phone junkie, never had a phone that would scratch inside the pocket. I don't use screen protectors and my screens are all mint.
    02-22-18 11:45 AM
    Glass is glass.
    C'mon, Conite, we all know you're an unabashed supporter, but BBM certainly suggests that "Diamond nano anti-scratch" is more than just glass. (I suspected all along what it really is is marketing hype....)
    anon(10432539) and Mecca EL like this.
    02-22-18 01:54 PM
    C'mon, Conite, we all know you're an unabashed supporter, but BBM certainly suggests that "Diamond nano anti-scratch" is more than just glass. (I suspected all along what it really is is marketing hype....)
    Gorilla Glass says the same thing.

Lots of aspects: scratch resistance, impact resistance, micro-abrasion resistance, etc.

I'm sure both help in some respects, but again, glass is glass.
    02-22-18 02:03 PM
    Of course it's siding more on marketing hype and anybody buying into some of these claims seriously need to give their head a shake. IMO glass is glass and WILL, at some point, scratch or break if given the right circumstances.
    Last edited by Elky64; 02-22-18 at 04:37 PM.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-22-18 02:34 PM
    Luck of the draw, I tried scratching mine. Didn't work. Others can scratch seemingly just by looking at it.

IndianTiwari and the brother like this.
    02-23-18 11:45 AM
    I don't care what they say, I ALWAYS put a protector on mine. Tempered glass if possible, that military spec vinyl stuff if it has that curved glass non-sense.

It's just cheap insurance and then I won't have to baby my phone.
    Elky64, the brother and BerryRipe like this.
    02-23-18 02:56 PM
    I don't care what they say, I ALWAYS put a protector on mine. Tempered glass if possible, that military spec vinyl stuff if it has that curved glass non-sense.

It's just cheap insurance and then I won't have to baby my phone.
    My sediments exactly. Protectors are cheap and easily replaceable when the time comes, not so when the displays themselves need replacing.
    02-23-18 07:10 PM
    Luck of the draw, I tried scratching mine. Didn't work. Others can scratch seemingly just by looking at it.

I have put my motion many times in my pocket with my car keys. So far the experience has been good. The screen is still spick and span no scratches so far. In the case of OP his device has developed scratch may be due the pressure from rivet.
    02-24-18 01:54 AM
    I have put my motion many times in my pocket with my car keys. So far the experience has been good. The screen is still spick and span no scratches so far. In the case of OP his device has developed scratch may be due the pressure from rivet.
    Hows the other damage from your keys / pocket? Such as the back and sides.
    02-24-18 02:14 AM
    I have not noticed any prominent damages. Normal wear and tear is acceptable.
    02-24-18 02:27 AM
    I tested the screen out without a screen protector for the first three weeks. I carry it in a clean trouser or jeans pocket, no keys, rivets or other hard objects. After three weeks, my screen has a few small, super-fine scratches which appear to be on the iridescent coating, rather than the glass itself. I will be using a protector from now on.
    02-24-18 05:55 AM
    Again, why not just use a simple screen protector that is not a bulky plastic one if you are all just worried about scratches? This works well: https://www.ringkestore.com/products...nt=43675304202
    Elky64 likes this.
    02-24-18 06:40 AM
    Again, why not just use a simple screen protector that is not a bulky plastic one if you are all just worried about scratches? This works well: https://www.ringkestore.com/products...nt=43675304202
    Thanks for the suggestion, but this is for the keyone. Doesn't look like that company offers a protector for the Motion
    02-24-18 08:14 AM
    Guys, marketing. Diamond nano anti-scratch coating is just a marketing term to make you think your screen isn't susceptible to scratches and that you are getting more than what you are paying for. Its going to scratch like any other phone screen can if the right object is moving on it.
    Elky64 likes this.
    02-24-18 02:02 PM
    I have a scratch on mine from the edge of my drivers license. It did not take long for this to happen. I have since put on a plastic screen protector and it is taking the scratches.
    02-24-18 02:37 PM
    My Z30 is unscratchable and not diamond. Is the Motion steps backwards, or am I just not battering the good ol Z?
    03-25-18 08:46 PM
64 123