We've never seen a phone with a >4" screen with a keyboard underneath in a candybar/non-slider form factor (to my knowledge).

I'm concerned that the Mercury will be unwieldy/awkward to hold, and you will constantly need to switch hand positions to reach various parts of the screen and go back and forth with the keyboard.

Thoughts?
    12-19-16 09:09 PM
    Will this phone be difficult to physically handle?-71678a14jw1fadyp0drayj20qo0zkdik.jpg
    I don't know, you tell me. Unless those hands are freakishly big...

And on that note about "never seen a phone with a >4" screen with a keyboard underneath in a candybar/non-slider form factor"... I would be worried about your personal safety as the Passport mob is going to lynch you.
    anon(3732391) and DaFoxGrey like this.
    12-19-16 09:24 PM
    The Passport was the most difficult to handle phone I've ever used.
    12-19-16 10:17 PM
    Not if u could stretch your fingers like a guitarist. I have no problem reaching from letter P to Z while holding in one hand
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    12-19-16 11:35 PM
    Not if u could stretch your fingers like a guitarist. I have no problem reaching from letter P to Z while holding in one hand
    What do you know about that 8-fret stretch?
    SDTRMG and anon(3732391) like this.
    12-19-16 11:52 PM
    And on that note about "never seen a phone with a >4" screen with a keyboard underneath in a candybar/non-slider form factor"... I would be worried about your personal safety as the Passport mob is going to lynch you.
    Passport is a completely unique case.
    darius_robin likes this.
    12-20-16 03:39 AM
    I'm happy to compromise. A few months ago it was looking like production this phone might be cancelled.

As much as I love my Classic, it needs an uptodate replacement for 2017 so without this phone there would be nothing.
    davidinLA likes this.
    12-20-16 04:56 AM
    I'm happy to compromise. A few months ago it was looking like production this phone might be cancelled.

As much as I love my Classic, it needs an uptodate replacement for 2017 so without this phone there would be nothing.
    Yeah definitely. I hope this phone can be it. A much nicer camera like that on the pixel would be great.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-16 05:23 AM
    I didn't think the Passport was difficult to handle at all. Especially if you learn a lot of keyboard shortcuts for all the apps.
    Powdah and tp2386 like this.
    12-20-16 09:51 AM
    I have recently gone to a PRIV from a Classic. When you slide the keyboard open you wind up with a VERY tall phone, 7 1/4 inches in all.
    It took a bit of experimenting - I wind up hooking a pinkie finger underneath the keyboard to stabilize things while typing. And, yes, I often have to use the other hand to reach up and hit "send" or another button. I DO miss the Classic's trackpad, but at the end of the day I was able to adapt quickly.

It's a bunch more workable than what it looks like at first blush.
    valer466 and okanagan like this.
    12-20-16 11:09 AM
    You get used to handling the phone!
    Coming from a PP, you adapt and learn tricks.
    It becomes second nature.

The one thing about The Mercury keyboard will be the ability to type fast Again.

I'm pretty fast with my Passport, but there's no question the smaller keyboard will mean faster typing.

So many microseconds to be saved! Lol

Posted via CB10
    mithrazor likes this.
    12-20-16 12:41 PM
    I have recently gone to a PRIV from a Classic. When you slide the keyboard open you wind up with a VERY tall phone, 7 1/4 inches in all.
    It took a bit of experimenting - I wind up hooking a pinkie finger underneath the keyboard to stabilize things while typing. And, yes, I often have to use the other hand to reach up and hit "send" or another button. I DO miss the Classic's trackpad, but at the end of the day I was able to adapt quickly.

It's a bunch more workable than what it looks like at first blush.
    I made this exact move and use the PKB 99% of the time so in my opinion the Mercury won't be hard to handle. I am not a huge fan of having to remove one of my hands from the phone to send but it is what it is. I'm stoked for the Mercury but I'm also very happy with the PRIV, I doubt the Mercury will be Verizon compatible so I'm kind of stuck either way.

As far as having to press on the top right of the device to send this would be fixed by allowing the enter key to send texts and a (2) button combination to send emails. Would love to see this implemented at some point on Android powered BlackBerry.
    12-20-16 01:07 PM
    I made this exact move and use the PKB 99% of the time so in my opinion the Mercury won't be hard to handle. I am not a huge fan of having to remove one of my hands from the phone to send but it is what it is. I'm stoked for the Mercury but I'm also very happy with the PRIV, I doubt the Mercury will be Verizon compatible so I'm kind of stuck either way.

As far as having to press on the top right of the device to send this would be fixed by allowing the enter key to send texts and a (2) button combination to send emails. Would love to see this implemented at some point on Android powered BlackBerry.
    Textra (with a VKB anyways) has the option to send SMS messages with the enter key.
    Jack Fate likes this.
    12-20-16 01:24 PM
    Textra (with a VKB anyways) has the option to send SMS messages with the enter key.
    Yeah I should bite the bullet and download the app. Seen this mentioned before...maybe I'll give it a go and report back. Pretty finicky with how I run my device.
    12-20-16 02:02 PM
    Just downloaded and trying it out...so far, love the enter to send and the customization. Will try to find this thread and post back after a week or so.
    davidinLA likes this.
    12-20-16 02:21 PM
    Just downloaded and trying it out...so far, love the enter to send and the customization. Will try to find this thread and post back after a week or so.
    I really like this app and find it works with the Hub (although I'm on a Samsung with Hub+) integration really works well
    12-20-16 02:22 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71678a14jw1fadyp0drayj20qo0zkdik.jpg 
Views:	756 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	414586
    I don't know, you tell me. Unless those hands are freakishly big...

Passport is NOT a candybar.
    12-20-16 02:26 PM
    Passport is NOT a candybar.
    Yes it is. Ritter-Sport bars are stubbier than regular bars.
    12-20-16 02:27 PM
    Yes it is. Ritter-Sport bars are stubbier than regular bars.
    More like a pop-tart!

edit: had to search Ritter-Sport - never heard of it lol-- yep looks like a Passport.
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    12-20-16 02:30 PM
    You get used to handling the phone!
    Coming from a PP, you adapt and learn tricks.
    It becomes second nature.

The one thing about The Mercury keyboard will be the ability to type fast Again.

I'm pretty fast with my Passport, but there's no question the smaller keyboard will mean faster typing.

So many microseconds to be saved! Lol

Posted via CB10
    I had my Passport for two years (I still have it, but I rarely use it) and let's be honest, it was cumbersome to handle. The great screen, the capacitive keyboard, BB10 (until the app-gap became too big for me personally to handle) and the battery life made it worth it, though. But it was always cumbersome to handle.

I personally think the Mercury might just be that perfect device I've been waiting for for such a long time. Being used to the Passport, I think the Mercury will be a breeze to handle. A big screen, a usable capacitive physical keyboard, a decent sized battery and apps up the ying yang... what more could one ask for?
    aecgda likes this.
    12-20-16 02:34 PM
    I really like this app and find it works with the Hub (although I'm on a Samsung with Hub+) integration really works well
    I don't have text and whatsapp in the hub, have a separate icon for my work emails and use the hub for my 3 personal accounts. Check the hub frequently throughout the day but found I use the pop notifications for reading most emails directly.
    12-20-16 02:58 PM
    This is my No. 1 issue with the phone. I hope grip, size and usability exceeds my expectations, since my dream phone will never come true (BlackBerry Classic with Android)

Posted via CB10
    12-20-16 06:34 PM
    OP got valid concern. the weight distribution should be considered in design phase to make sure it is not top heavy when holding and typing (bottom 30% should be weight more and stablize the phone... just a guess). The "in house" design should take that into account ;-).
    12-20-16 07:00 PM
    OP got valid concern. the weight distribution should be considered in design phase to make sure it is not top heavy when holding and typing (bottom 30% should be weight more and stablize the phone... just a guess). The "in house" design should take that into account ;-).
    How exactly would typing on a physical keyboard be different from typing on a virtual keyboard for a phone that will probably be somewhere in between the size of a DTEK50 and a DTEK60?
    Barbareren likes this.
    12-20-16 11:05 PM
    How exactly would typing on a physical keyboard be different from typing on a virtual keyboard for a phone that will probably be somewhere in between the size of a DTEK50 and a DTEK60?
    Exactly, it's almost like us users of pkb are from another planet

 �lack�erry PASSPORT 
    12-21-16 12:29 AM
64 123