Bold 9000
    Bold 9700
    Bold Touch 9900
    Q10
    Q20/Classic

Does anybody really love these models?

What does everybody think of the chances that the "Mercury" will continue the glory of the mentioned phones? Essentially, it's going to be in the same form factor as those mentioned, what were so good about them? What does the Mercury need to do to "carry on tradition" ?

To me, by going for this form factor, TCL/BlackBerry (software company) know they will tick all the right boxes. Even Steve Cistuli said that he thinks the Priv missed a few of the "boxes" . I don't know what the Priv owners think? I wonder what John Chen and the other Executives think about the Priv apart from the price issue?

I think:
    All those past pkb phones (excluding Priv) allowed:
    - One handed operation with ease. Vital when you need to do something quick and on the move
    - handles any task with speed
    - compact
    - clear phone calls
    - highly productive
    - built for work but can do the fun stuff
    - messaging workhorses - ability to pound out 100+ messages per hour without fail
    - device search

Have I missed anything?

Thoughts and feeling?

Summary: what made the past wonderful pkb phones so great and what must the Mercury ensure to carry on tradition?

Thanks!
    02-18-17 07:28 PM
    Honestly it looks better than a Priv, 100x better but I still think this is going to appeal to the keyboard users out there so its still a niche device with moderate success. Its not going to bring in millions of users that use and like a slab.

I do think it will sell 2x the amount the privs did as long as its priced reasonably
    02-18-17 07:33 PM
    Honestly it looks better than a Priv, 100x better but I still think this is going to appeal to the keyboard users out there so its still a niche device with moderate success. Its not going to bring in millions of users that use and like a slab.

I do think it will sell 2x the amount the privs did as long as its priced reasonably
    Yes you're right, I guess it's for those users who used the Bolds. I know the 9900 touch was one of the most popular. Thanks
    02-18-17 07:46 PM
    Definitely a niche device. It'll be a huge hit with current Classic, Passport and Priv users since they prefer PKB like myself.

I think it'll be the same old thing with glass slab users. They'll still prefer the Dtek devices and other brands.
    02-18-17 07:49 PM
    We here love those devices. But we are a tiny tiny group of people. No way will this device sell a ton. That's finished.

I will buy the Merc, and many of us here will buy it. But meanwhile approximately "zero percent market share" is undeniable...
    02-18-17 08:44 PM
    I'm honestly saying I like the priv. First pkb phone for me but I like the option. I'd buy another one if I needed to
    02-18-17 09:16 PM
    We are only a small group of people, because nothing nice was offered to the market. This could change now, and also other groups could have a look at this devices.

Many other people around claim, that they are not comfortable with touchscreens, but what device would you propose to them? - for sure not a dead BB10.
    02-19-17 04:45 AM
    This is a device for a small kind of people. Think, we are in 2017 and we are talking about a 625 processor, small screen, not a lot of carriers and a high price. Only if you love or need a pkb or you are a BlackBerry lover you will not buy this device. If they sell 100.000 BlackBerry mercurys it will be a success. And, I'm a owner of a 9780, 9900, z10, q10, passport, black classic and blue classic, dtek50.
    02-19-17 06:32 AM
    We here love those devices. But we are a tiny tiny group of people. No way will this device sell a ton. That's finished.

I will buy the Merc, and many of us here will buy it. But meanwhile approximately "zero percent market share" is undeniable...
    The zero percent number was only BB10 devices.

I'm not saying the Mercury will sell a ton, but I'm just adding some perspective to that headline.
    02-19-17 07:05 AM

That's BlackBerry OS not BlackBerry phones. The BlackBerry android phones are part of the android marketshare duh.
    02-19-17 07:12 AM
    The zero percent number was only BB10 devices.

I'm not saying the Mercury will sell a ton, but I'm just adding some perspective to that headline.
    Oh yeah, of course. My mistake. But the main point stands. I still don't think a ton of people are going to buy this phone. See Priv. See Dtek60.
    02-19-17 07:17 AM
    This is a device for a small kind of people. Think, we are in 2017 and we are talking about a 625 processor, small screen, not a lot of carriers and a high price. Only if you love or need a pkb or you are a BlackBerry lover you will not buy this device. If they sell 100.000 BlackBerry mercurys it will be a success. And, I'm a owner of a 9780, 9900, z10, q10, passport, black classic and blue classic, dtek50.
    You're a true BlackBerry fan, much respect.

I would like to ask you a question please? Do you think the rumoured 4.5 inches on the Mercury is small?

Is it really going to have a 625 processor?
    02-19-17 07:36 AM
    You're a true BlackBerry fan, much respect.

I would like to ask you a question please? Do you think the rumoured 4.5 inches on the Mercury is small?

Is it really going to have a 625 processor?
    The answer is a question. How many devices with a 4,5 inches screen are nowadays in the selling market?. Second, 99% webs describe the Mercury with a 625 processor.
    02-19-17 07:55 AM
    The answer is a question. How many devices with a 4,5 inches screen are nowadays in the selling market?. Second, 99% webs describe the Mercury with a 625 processor.
    I see your point. Dare I mention that the iPhone 7 and 6/6s have screens that are less than 5 inches. But I agree, it's the people that love pkb that will buy the Mercury. It's all about the experience of using the Mercury, it looks like a sure fire winner but we are all waiting for the specs to be released.
    2. Saw that too, I really hope it's not a 625 processor, even the priv has a 808.

I just hope using the Mercury will be like using a Bold or a Q or a Passport.

Out of all the BlackBerrys the you own, which one is your favourite and why? I find intriguing. Mine is......Q10.
    Why? Qnx/bb10 (easy to use, beautiful to watch), one handed operation, great keyboard, removable battery, lightweight, Interaction with screen and keyboard and just everything. Classic is also a masterpiece.
    02-19-17 08:16 AM
    A key factor is going to be price.

If it's as expensive as the PRIV was it will have a more difficult time selling.

That said, I think it's unlikely for physical keyboards to have broad enough appeal to make the Mercury a widespread success. But it does have the potential to appeal to a decent portion of the millions of die-hard physical keyboard lovers still out there.

If TCL does the marketing right and plays up the nostalgia factor, releases it on multiple carriers (exclusives only work with already popular devices and brands), and the device itself isn't poorly built, it just might be the best selling BlackBerry Android device yet. Considering the dismal sales of BlackBerry Android phones thus far, I think that's an attainable goal.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    02-19-17 08:19 AM
    Classic, for sure. Pkb, bigger screen than q10, not huge as passport.
    02-19-17 08:55 AM
    If you plot the (sale) number of the named models, you will see a steep downward trend of that passed glory.
    It needs something new to get people attention in a saturated market. BlackBerry has dumped the hardware part, meaning no research for, hence no new technology and is permanently lagged behind in this area. The software business is yet to show anything really consumer oriented. In this situation, the proper question should be if the Merc will sell in enough number to keep BlackBerry partner' interest in the licensing deal.

Posted from my  Passport
    02-19-17 09:23 AM
    I've have had a 10, 30, PP and now a Priv. I love them all. I also had a Classic for a short time, after I had the PP and the Priv, and you know, I think that if if wasn't for a couple of things I liked the Classic the best of them all.

One thing is processor speed. I think that once someone has used a faster processor it's very hard to go back to a slower one.

Another thing was the screen - not the size but the brightness/sharpness. The Classic just seemed dim.

Other than those things the Classic felt great in my hand and the pkb was the best.

That's why I think I'm really going to love the Mercury. For my uses - email, texts and some internet reading, not gaming or video watching, I think it'll have all the best features I'm looking for.
    ariandax likes this.
    02-19-17 09:25 AM
    The BlackBerry phones of the past were very durable and could really take a beating and still perform as if just out of the box. I've had many since about 2002 and they last and last. Never had to replace a broken BlackBerry just wanted a newer model but always expected the ease and durability to be built into the brand.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-17 10:25 AM
    the proper question should be if the Merc will sell in enough number to keep BlackBerry partner' interest in the licensing deal.
    I totally agree. That's the test the Mercury has to pass. It will be interesting to see if it can.
    02-19-17 11:21 AM
    I totally agree. That's the test the Mercury has to pass. It will be interesting to see if it can.
    I don't think the licensing deal hinges on this at all. They've already discussed a broader plan and further devices.

Will this hit the markets with that nostalgic group looking for something of their past? Maybe a few. It's still going to be a play on a niche market.

I just hope it can be profitable to continue developing future pkb devices.

Posted via CB10
    zensen likes this.
    02-19-17 11:26 AM
    I don't think the licensing deal hinges on this at all. They've already discussed a broader plan and further devices.

Will this hit the markets with that nostalgic group looking for something of their past? Maybe a few. It's still going to be a play on a niche market.

I just hope it can be profitable to continue developing future pkb devices.
    Discussing future devices and actually producing them are two very different things. If TCL doesn't see reasonable sales, they won't cancel the agreement, but I think they'll just put it in an archive and forget about it. We'll see.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-19-17 02:28 PM
    Discussing future devices and actually producing them are two very different things. If TCL doesn't see reasonable sales, they won't cancel the agreement, but I think they'll just put it in an archive and forget about it. We'll see.
    To a point, yes. They're not putting all of their eggs into the basket of a pkb device. Not to be rude but no smart company is going to place any emphasis on a niche device. Maybe future niche devices, sure, but not the overall plan.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-17 02:33 PM
    Really again this opinion, that a 808 is quickier than a 625. Look around in a few threads, then you get a correction to your assumption.

I stick to the positive perspective: The last PBK-phones were never attractive to the masses, as an unknown OS powered them. This could change hopefully a bit with the Mercury.
    02-19-17 02:38 PM
    To a point, yes. They're not putting all of their eggs into the basket of a pkb device. Not to be rude but no smart company is going to place any emphasis on a niche device. Maybe future niche devices, sure, but not the overall plan.
    Yeah, that's fair, I could see them making BB branded devices that are basically the same as other phones they will already be producing, but with the addition of BB software and logo. That would be low cost, but still not zero cost.

As far as we know, TCL doesn't have a lot of skin in this particular game. They're renting the brand, not buying, for a per unit fee that is only on sell through (per Chen). That doesn't sound like a very serious commitment to me.
    02-19-17 02:39 PM
67 123