I think the unit shown at CES was 100% BlackBerry.

Expect the unit shown at MWC and that is finally released, will be more 90% BlackBerry and 10% TCL. As I expect a few changes in components to fit today's market better than what BlackBerry designed almost a year ago.

But it's not like BlackBerry has some magical formula for building great phone... Storm and Z10 had their design flaws that I've owned, Passport had some manufacturing issues for awhile, and the PRIV sure isn't a poster child for BlackBerry getting it right. TCL is a very experienced company that has something to loose... look forward to seeing how they can improve things.
    01-11-17 07:28 AM
    But it's not like BlackBerry has some magical formula for building great phone... Storm and Z10 had their design flaws that I've owned, Passport had some manufacturing issues for awhile, and the PRIV sure isn't a poster child for BlackBerry getting it right. TCL is a very experienced company that has something to loose... look forward to seeing how they can improve things.
    storm was 1st BB touch phone with sure click and new touch interface. z10 was the 1st for qnx bb10 integration. those are 1st generation device bb still in the learning process to make it correct (just like BB10 OS 1.0). The design of 9986 was much better without sure touch, - proven design can be progressed even in a very short time. to compare 1st gen vs mercury and say TCL is very experienced is not really valid. TCL don't have that much experience in BB KB. Join strength might be better - if BB still have design group left. (Antenna, audio are all the other superior design of BB, that not get promoted for what ever the reason). IMHO
    01-11-17 11:53 AM
    There was a bit a of a debate here on the comment section of this article and I believe its an important one to identify:

Mercury gives us reasons to be hopeful about BlackBerry in 2017 | Android Central

Who designed the Mercury? TCL or BlackBerry?

Im pretty convinced that seeing from the things said by John Chen and other blackberry employees in the past such as this article:

BlackBerry Latest News, Rumors: CEO John Chen's Last "Keyboard Phone" Is Coming; BlackBerry Mercury To Follow Priv's Design? : Daddy : Parent Herald

That the Mercury is indeed designed totally by BlackBerry especially given that patented blackberry physical keyboard.

Why would anyone think otherwise?
    Well I got that info from a guy who knows a guy, who was dating the woman who is sleeping with the guy...........he said is was a crack engineering team.......Their motto is: If we can find it, it must be there".

I hope this clear and concise info helps.
    01-11-17 02:22 PM
    01-11-17 02:53 PM
    Why even have this debate?

It's been stated already BlackBerry designed it and TCL will do the rest.

Last one ever by BlackBerry. Rest will be TCL licensing enagements.

#whatisclassic
    01-11-17 02:56 PM
    If it's really that much of an issue, despite it being said many times that BB designed it, since we are not believing any of those, here. It's me, I designed it on a napkin. There, straight from the horse's mouth... Wait, did I just call myself a horse? Anyway, discussion over. :-)

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    01-11-17 04:35 PM
    Well, we all know BB said there would be 24/7 Complimentary Support for the Priv, etc. And how's that statement turned out?
    01-11-17 05:09 PM
    Well, we all know BB said there would be 24/7 Complimentary Support for the Priv, etc. And how's that statement turned out?
    LOL! True words.

Don't forget the monthly and most up to date sercuity updates for the dtek50!

#whatisclassic
    01-11-17 05:17 PM
    Well I got that info from a guy who knows a guy, who was dating the woman who is sleeping with the guy...........he said is was a crack engineering team.......Their motto is: If we can find it, it must be there".

I hope this clear and concise info helps.
    I heard the guy was gay. What was he sleeping with that woman??
    01-11-17 05:41 PM
    It's getting old bro loll

#whatisclassic
    01-11-17 05:44 PM
    LOL! True words.

Don't forget the monthly and most up to date sercuity updates for the dtek50!

#whatisclassic
    Is the dtek50 not getting monthly updates? I can only follow so many forums.
    01-11-17 06:55 PM
    It's a new world������
    01-12-17 09:12 AM
    Lets lay this all to rest finally....

It was I who designed the Mercury, with the help of Chuck Finley and Jason Bourne..
    01-12-17 09:21 AM
    Whoever designed the Passport SE, designed this thing as well. So it's obviously disassembled team of in-house BlackBerry designers. No TCL can pull this off.

Just wait and see how horrid new Nokia will look like. Just another chinese cookie cutter like design.
    01-12-17 09:36 AM
    Let's stop ignoring the gorilla in the room. There is ONLY ONE who could even come close to designing such a Shoalin kung-fu BlackBerry phone such a this...... Chuck Norris.
    01-12-17 04:56 PM
    Let's stop ignoring the gorilla in the room. There is ONLY ONE who could even come close to designing such a Shoalin kung-fu BlackBerry phone such a this...... Chuck Norris.
    either him or Homer Simpson
    01-15-17 10:40 AM
    Designed by BlackBerry, made by tcl
    01-16-17 01:28 AM
    Even if the Mercury is 100% designed by BlackBerry it still got the wrong OS and looks like a cheaper copy of a stretched out of proportion Passport SE.

Posted via - OS-10.3.++ device, it's all you need
    01-18-17 03:30 PM
    Even if the Mercury is 100% designed by BlackBerry it still got the wrong OS and looks like a cheaper copy of a stretched out of proportion Passport SE.

Posted via - OS-10.3.++ device, it's all you need
    Cool back to passport forum for you.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    01-18-17 03:43 PM
44 12