BlackBerry is out of the hardware business. Marketing and sales of new phones is now the responsibility of TCL.
    Yes, and that hashtag is mainly used by TCL...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-28-16 08:50 AM
    Not powerful enough for my needs. I have already written the so called evidence.
    Which phone have you used with the 625?

12-28-16 08:51 AM
    Not powerful enough for my needs. I have already written the so called evidence.
    You don't know that.

Being a pkb device, it is intended to be a communication workhorse - not a gaming and media consumption machine.

A workhorse device needs solid construction, and a long battery life.

A 8xx SoC would be completely wasted for 95% of its target market. No need to drive the price up for that 95%.
    BB-JAM215 likes this.
    12-28-16 09:04 AM
    I guess you missed this paragraph:

"No shocker here, but the company is planning to reveal **multiple** smartphones carrying the BlackBerry branding in the near future � quite possibly at CES in a couple of weeks, where the company will �unveil more news at CES around our plans, showcasing the legacy of the BlackBerry smartphone brand, while also giving a glimpse into what new BlackBerry smartphones will offer.�"

And that image you speak of, that same phone with that same design has been shown in a photo in someone's hands, not a render. Guess you missed that one too...

Nope, and that was my point. The article claims they are going to unveil multiple handsets but the official press release does not. Instead, the press release says they'll showcase what their BlackBerry handsets will offer in the future, not what BlackBerry handsets *we'll* offer. Sure, they may have some mockups, but only to offer a glimpse into what we can expect in terms of ideas / tech, not actual handsets they plan to deliver. Thank of them as the concept cars that auto manufacturers show off at take shows but rarely build into production models.

As for the image, it's possible this is what that Android powered Passport was going to be back in the day after Google had told BlackBerry to take a hike with that square screen, but who knows. Sure, it's possible this is what the Mercury will look like but until an official press release its anyone's guess.

Then again, BlackBerry and Chen don't seem to understand the game. It wouldn't surprise me for them to release an old design. Of course that will only fuel the critics; how BlackBerry cannot innovate, why they died, etc.
    12-28-16 10:37 AM
    Thank of them as the concept cars that auto manufacturers show off at take shows but rarely build into production models.
    Although truth be told "concept cars" these days are thinly veiled future production models.

Unless you are BMW or Subaru.
    12-28-16 11:05 AM
    You don't know that.

Being a pkb device, it is intended to be a communication workhorse - not a gaming and media consumption machine.

A 8xx SoC would be completely wasted for 95% of its target market. No need to drive the price up for that 95%.
    I have to disagree with this. Android suffers horribly on day-to-day tasks with low end SoC. This is pretty evident on the BlackBerry Priv with dropped frames, various lag, etc., even though the 808 itself is not exactly a slouch. Android requires serious horsepower to give a passably smooth experience that it can maintain over time. Even my S7 Edge and Note7 lag and stutter, as well as suffer from dropped frames. Until you've extensively used iOS (and to some extent BlackBerry 10 is a good past example as well), you can't really quite understand the difference. This by the way is all talking about normal day-to-day workload. I never do any gaming on my mobile devices. If anything there is one thing that TCL can save money on, and that is the screen. The QHD screens are utterly unnecessary. Samsung switched to them because of the shortcomings of their pentile pixel arrangement and the degradation of quality of the display that occurs as a result. The higher display density generally compensates for the bad pixel arrangement.

Edit: 3,500 posts
    asublimeday likes this.
    12-28-16 11:13 AM
    I have to disagree with this. Android suffers horribly on day-to-day tasks with low end SoC.
    625 is not low end. Frankly all my DTEK50 devices with their 617s get no complaints from users, and some of them are sticklers.

The nice thing about BlackBerry Android is the lean and mean skin they have on it - unlike the resource-hogging Touchwiz or Home UX.
    12-28-16 11:23 AM
    I have to disagree with this. Android suffers horribly on day-to-day tasks with low end SoC. This is pretty evident on the BlackBerry Priv with dropped frames, various lag, etc., even though the 808 itself is not exactly a slouch. Android requires serious horsepower to give a passably smooth experience that it can maintain over time. Even my S7 Edge and Note7 lag and stutter, as well as suffer from dropped frames. Until you've extensively used iOS (and to some extent BlackBerry 10 is a good past example as well), you can't really quite understand the difference. This by the way is all talking about normal day-to-day workload. I never do any gaming on my mobile devices. If anything there is one thing that TCL can save money on, and that is the screen. The QHD screens are utterly unnecessary. Samsung switched to them because of the shortcomings of their pentile pixel arrangement and the degradation of quality of the display that occurs as a result. The higher display density generally compensates for the bad pixel arrangement.

In my experience with Android (also with a Priv), the lags and "dropped frames" almost always has to do with a bug with an app or something stuck in the background. Going into the masonry and throwing all the cards away cures it all of the time, I rarely reboot these days unless it's my monthly patch.
    12-28-16 11:25 AM
    First Stop...a Passport like device with PKB running DTEK and Android 7.1.1
    12-28-16 11:29 AM
    First Stop...a Passport like device with PKB running DTEK and Android 7.1.1
    1:1 screen ratio not permitted by Google.
    12-28-16 11:32 AM
    In my experience with Android (also with a Priv), the lags and "dropped frames" almost always has to do with a bug with an app or something stuck in the background. Going into the masonry and throwing all the cards away cures it all of the time, I rarely reboot these days unless it's my monthly patch.
    This is precisely the thing though. Android always has these types of issues. Lots of RAM and powerful SoC can generally power through any crap bugs that occur. I don't want to have to shut down all my apps or restart my phone. To each their own though. I think that every Android worth buying requires high-end specs to provide a decent experience for the user. This is based on my experience with many, many different Android devices in a productive sphere. Again, I don't game on mobile devices.
    12-28-16 11:40 AM

Well-said. I went through 7 flagships last year and only the iPhone and One Plus 3/3T properly managed their RAM. Every other Android was closing and re-opening every background app, animations took forever, etc. Priv included.

It's more about the software/RAM management than the internals, but generally the most responsive droids have the higher-end processors.
    dejanh likes this.
    12-28-16 11:40 AM
    And 3-row keyboard likely to cause device to fail when my barf makes it short-circuit.

12-28-16 12:51 PM
    You can choose every android phone you want. Just install HUB+ and add a BlackBerry (rubber)sticker like they are doing :P

#soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    shawndawg likes this.
    12-28-16 01:20 PM
    You don't know that.

I don't know my needs?
    12-28-16 01:44 PM
    I know, I know, it was wishful thinking that's all. More of "my opinion if I had a say" which we know I don't.
    12-28-16 01:51 PM
    Which phone have you used with the 625?

Don't need to use it when the specs are there. Don't just take numbers into account. Which bands they support, image rendering speed for HDR images (capable of taking HDR photos?), sound quality when listening to music, better modem (cat speeds).

I don't understand the attacking. I want the pkb as future proof as possible. Don't see any wrong about it.

By the way which phone have you used?
    12-28-16 01:58 PM
    You can choose every android phone you want. Just install HUB+ and add a BlackBerry (rubber)sticker like they are doing :P

#soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    Unfortunately BB owns the patents to any reasonable phone physical keyboard, so you only have one option. Just like Samsung is the only phone company with an agreement with Wacom digitizers, so the Note is your only option if you want a quality phone with a stylus.
    12-28-16 02:16 PM
    Don't need to use it when the specs are there. Don't just take numbers into account. Which bands they support, image rendering speed for HDR images (capable of taking HDR photos?), sound quality when listening to music, better modem (cat speeds).

I don't understand the attacking. I want the pkb as future proof as possible. Don't see any wrong about it.

By the way which phone have you used?
    I haven't made any claims about the performance of any chip, no need to show what I've tried as I've made no claims that need proving...

12-28-16 02:31 PM

...and it'll still be better than POS double-typing Q10s.
    12-28-16 03:09 PM
    I don't know my needs?
    You don't know how the 625 will perform on a BlackBerry Android device. You can only speculate.
    12-28-16 03:10 PM
    Although I am a realist and think they will only offer the Mercury, I would like to see an updated Bold or Classic? I don't think it will happen, but I can dream! Bold's still a sweet piece of kit.
    12-28-16 03:17 PM
    Although I am a realist and think they will only offer the Mercury, I would like to see an updated Bold or Classic? I don't think it will happen, but I can dream! Bold's still a sweet piece of kit.
    Mercury IS the updated Bold / Classic.
    12-28-16 04:09 PM
    Mercury IS the updated Bold / Classic.
    Updated Q10 since no toolbelt. You should have known that was coming. :-)

12-28-16 04:40 PM
    Unfortunately BB owns the patents to any reasonable phone physical keyboard, so you only have one option.
    Question to that one: in the past, felt like in the last century, Nokia also had some decent keyboards, e.g. Nokia Asha 302, Nokia e71. Does anybody know if they had an agreement with Blackberry? Or does Nokia also have a couple of patents to PBK devices?
    12-28-16 05:46 PM
105 12345