Aesthetically, the keyboard and Passport SE motivated silver top piece is BBRY in-house. The rest of the phone (body, style, usb-c, camera, screen, back material) is TCL in-house. I don't think this was the case with the DTECK's. In fact I don't even see the dteck phones as BBRY devices whatsoever. This Mercury phone however, has major potential. It is gorgeous. I just hope internally it runs smoother than the horrible Priv performance.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-17 05:25 AM
    I just hope internally it runs smoother than the horrible Priv performance.

Posted via CB10
    Horrible?? Is it that bad?
    01-06-17 07:03 AM
    Aesthetically, the keyboard and Passport SE motivated silver top piece is BBRY in-house. The rest of the phone (body, style, usb-c, camera, screen, back material) is TCL in-house. I don't think this was the case with the DTECK's. In fact I don't even see the dteck phones as BBRY devices whatsoever. This Mercury phone however, has major potential. It is gorgeous. I just hope internally it runs smoother than the horrible Priv performance.

Posted via CB10
    You must have had a poor experience with a Priv. My Priv is over a year old, and is running great.

Re the new "Mercury"... I agree that it's a great looking device. It captures some of the style of the Passport SE. Some like the look, others have varying opinions. At least it stands out from the slabs!
    FF22 likes this.
    01-06-17 12:10 PM
    At least it stands out from the slabs!
    I think a lot of people are ready for something different!
    01-06-17 12:14 PM
    The earliest devices (2015 launch) were bad - BlackBerry software was buggy, there was poor quality control, it overheated a lot, etc. Those issues have been mostly fixed.
    01-06-17 12:49 PM
    I hope those people all vote with their wallets and that there's enough of them to make a decent volume of sales. I'd love to see the first real collaboration be considered a success.
    01-06-17 12:51 PM
    Aesthetically, the keyboard and Passport SE motivated silver top piece is BBRY in-house. The rest of the phone (body, style, usb-c, camera, screen, back material) is TCL in-house.
    Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but where did you find the info that the CAMERA is TCL in-house? Have they ditched the Schneider-Kreuznach and the cam software that can be found in the Priv/DTEK50/DTEK60 all together? I hope that they at least keep some of the good stuff smcv introduced while ditching the bad cam software that often caused watercolor post-processing effects to your photographs (in low-light or artificial light situations) or slow shutter speed (which has been improved a big deal, but somehow (probably due to limitations inherent to the specific cam) still a tad slower in certain situations (low-light/artificial light) compared to flagship models from Apple/Samsung).
    Last edited by WT44; 01-08-17 at 11:54 AM.
    01-06-17 01:26 PM
    I remember this line when the Passport was released, then the Classic, then the Priv... You see where this is going. The Priv(toilet)
    01-06-17 07:21 PM
    I remember this line when the Passport was released, then the Classic, then the Priv... You see where this is going. The Priv(toilet)
    I dont remember. What I remember is: 'we can still keep BlackBerry alive with the Passport/Classic/Priv'
    01-07-17 01:45 AM
    I am glad that BlackBerry has made the decision to partner with TCL. The Mercury looks like a classic BlackBerry device and I have to say that I think it's a great looking phone. Hopefully this is the direction that TCL has going forward - including more of BlackBerry's DNA in their design process. I must admit I do like the DTek60, but it doesn't really stand out as a Berry.

Fingers crossed that the Mercury gains some momentum. But I have a feeling that it's really only going to appeal to the BlackBerry faithful as with all previous BlackBerry devices of the past few years.

I still wish that they'd create a Passport 2 with updated spec's and an all touch screen. The BlackBerry software keyboard is great and to have all that screen real estate would be amazing! Wishful thinking I know. But either way, the TCL partnership does look promising and I think that it will allow BlackBerry to continue to deliver devices for it's faithful customers which is fine by me!
    01-07-17 04:04 AM
    No it's not.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-07-17 06:54 AM
    It's pretty bad. Actually, the main issues that lead to that are (a) really slow storage, and (b) bad memory management. I have a Priv right here with me and it's definitely not as smooth as it should be, or can be. SD808 is no slouch but you wouldn't think so on the Priv.
    01-07-17 09:05 PM