Hello everyone!

I was thinking, what if the big news at MWC are not so much the HARDWARE which at CES was almost definitive but the SOFTWARE which chen-blackberry are developping. I mean, it would be idiotic to miss the oportunity to launch great blackdroid features along with the Merc at MWC. We've seen the Notable app to be released before MWC but I guess it's not whishful thinking to guess that along with the Merc launch, a bunch of new features software-wise are announced to make the new product even more appealing.

By the way, I HOPE BLACKBERRY-WATERLOO READS THIS: we need, PLEASE, a stupid little android software or tweak to make the Q and P keys to work as a "make" and "end call" keys PLEASE!!!!

What do you all think??

We're almost there!!
    02-21-17 07:01 AM
    Hello everyone!

I was thinking, what if the big news at MWC are not so much the HARDWARE which at CES was almost definitive but the SOFTWARE which chen-blackberry are developping. I mean, it would be idiotic to miss the oportunity to launch great blackdroid features along with the Merc at MWC. We've seen the Notable app to be released before MWC but I guess it's not whishful thinking to guess that along with the Merc launch, a bunch of new features software-wise are announced to make the new product even more appealing.

By the way, I HOPE BLACKBERRY-WATERLOO READS THIS: we need, PLEASE, a stupid little android software or tweak to make the Q and P keys to work as a "make" and "end call" keys PLEASE!!!!

What do you all think??

We're almost there!!
    I think that the investment into DroidBerry software will be relative to the amount of money that mobility division makes.
    02-21-17 07:11 AM
    Of course, but to make it a success you need to launch an overall good and innovative product. The software plays an important role there. The Q/P key thing is pretty important and i guess incredibly easy to make for a developper!
    02-21-17 07:52 AM
    Hello everyone!

What do you all think??

We're almost there!!
    What happens if you need to type the Q or P letters while on a call? I type texts, type notes, and browse the web while on the phone all of the time. Would it then hang up my call when I go to press the P button?

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    02-21-17 08:19 AM
    While in a call, there is actually an app opened, the phone app. It's inside that app that the QP letters work that way. On the home screen, the Q button opens up the phone APP and if you press again the Q letter while in the phone app it should launch the last number called or from which the last call was recieved. If in the phone app you go to another app the Q and P letters should work as usual
    02-21-17 08:22 AM
    While in a call, there is actually an app opened, the phone app. It's inside that app that the QP letters work that way. On the home screen, the Q button opens up the phone APP and if you press again the Q letter while in the phone app it should launch the last number called or from which the last call was recieved. If in the phone app you go to another app the Q and P letters should work as usual
    So it'll be extremely context sensitive. Wonder if they can do that.

02-21-17 08:59 AM
    So it'll be extremely context sensitive. Wonder if they can do that.
    They can do that very easily.
    02-21-17 11:13 AM
    The Q function do you have already :-)

Posted via CB10
    02-21-17 11:40 AM
    They'd be better off incorporating a call and end-call button in the "toolbelt" where the capacitive buttons are. That would be awesome! That's about my only gripe (apart from the HUB and flow) upgrading to the Mercury.

Posted via CB10
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    02-21-17 11:54 AM
    @app_developer They can do that very easily.
    Could you? PLEEEAAAAAAASEEEEE
    02-21-17 12:20 PM
    I think that the investment into DroidBerry software will be relative to the amount of money that mobility division makes.
    So they entered into licencing agreements with several partners who will now take the hardware risk on but will only "up" their software game if the mobility division makes money, which hinges on these partnerships being successful? Ya makes total business sense to go in with a half assed software game after promising and agreeing to handle all the software for licence partners.
    02-21-17 12:26 PM
    I like also shortcuts and lke to see the BlackBerry browser with a read me function
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    02-21-17 12:46 PM
    What happens if you need to type the Q or P letters while on a call? I type texts, type notes, and browse the web while on the phone all of the time. Would it then hang up my call when I go to press the P button?

Long press Vs short press I guess.
    Relatively easy to code.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-17 01:18 PM
    Long press Vs short press I guess.
    Relatively easy to code.

Posted via CB10
    If they give the option to map keys for pick up or hang up by long press that could work. Make them behave like homescreen shortcuts so they don't interfere while inside apps... Still not quite as good as the dedicated buttons but definitely better than nothing...

02-21-17 02:15 PM
    I've gotta give credit where due.I could easily fill up this entire page writing about nothing. (No.. I really could.)
    In one sentence, you wrote a very smart sounding opinion. I actually reread it three times and by using the word "relative" you eloquently said nothing!
    That takes a real talent. I just wing it but , you....."relative to the amount"

And while I'm sure you didn't set out to write it like I read it, Well, for what it worth .... well, Dunt!!
    02-21-17 10:27 PM
    If they give the option to map keys for pick up or hang up by long press that could work. Make them behave like homescreen shortcuts so they don't interfere while inside apps... Still not quite as good as the dedicated buttons but definitely better than nothing...

I fear if you MAKE them.. they will rebel and become sticky.

I think of these things so you don't have to!!
    02-21-17 10:30 PM
    Could you? PLEEEAAAAAAASEEEEE
    I don't think a 3rd party developer could do it for them, but they could do this with their own phone app that takes full advantage of their keyboard.
    02-21-17 10:34 PM
    I like also shortcuts and lke to see the BlackBerry browser with a read me function
    Not a bad idea! just don't make the rest of us have to use the read you function! I mean, you start off giving it just a little permission and before you know it, those smart things will have evolved
    to the point you'll do anything to get BB10 to resurface. There's no denying that they DO evolve!
    I'm just glad I caught this because if you weren't aware of it you'd never see it coming. It's called a Smart Phone. Ya never hear them refer to a person as a smart person. .
    Just something to consider........
    02-21-17 10:53 PM
    I don't think a 3rd party developer could do it for them, but they could do this with their own phone app that takes full advantage of their keyboard.
    Just an alternate view.....
    It's very normal, here, that people kind of pick apart a device before it's even been released.
    And while it's not in the nature of humans to try a different approach, like... say.... just for a week, only talk about all the great things that will be released in this first version, instead of having to find "something" that you know would make it much better . I don't understand why humans are never satisfied.
    I'm not directing this at you.. just commenting on the post. It's my job to offer something that you may have never considered. Fine! call it causing controversy!
    I don't expect anything but it "Would" be a refreshing change to simply like it and at least use it before going all human on it!
    02-21-17 11:22 PM
    They can do that very easily.
    Agreed, this is an extremely easy feature to add.
    02-22-17 08:52 AM
    Hello everyone!

What do you all think??

We're almost there!!
    I think you must realize that BlackBerry is out of the phone business, period. They sold or leased the rights to TCL. Just like Motorola did, they are done period. They will license the software that they write but this is a TCL phone and Google. The hardware came from BlackBerry as in design but that is all, BlackBerry is gone our Corporate contact /sales rep gave us the heads up. BlackBerry will be moving everything over to TCL. So lets stop with the hope and move on, I hope the Mercury is a good phone, but in the end its just another droid in a crowded market.
    Last edited by thatguyusa; 02-22-17 at 04:21 PM.
    02-22-17 03:35 PM
    I think you must realize that BlackBerry is out of the phone business, period. They sold or leased the rights to TLC. Just like Motorola did, they are done period. They will license the software that they write but this is a TLC phone and Google. The hardware came from BlackBerry as in design but that is all, BlackBerry is gone our Corporate contact /sales rep gave us the heads up. BlackBerry will be moving everything over to TLC. So lets stop with the hope and move on, I hope the Mercury is a good phone, but in the end its just another droid in a crowded market.
    Sorry to correct you but they did not. Tcl and not Tlc
    02-22-17 04:05 PM
    Sorry to correct you but they did not. Tcl and not Tlc
    LOL........you got it! Corrected.
    02-22-17 04:22 PM
    I think you must realize that BlackBerry is out of the phone business, period. They sold or leased the rights to TCL. Just like Motorola did, they are done period. They will license the software that they write but this is a TCL phone and Google. The hardware came from BlackBerry as in design but that is all, BlackBerry is gone our Corporate contact /sales rep gave us the heads up. BlackBerry will be moving everything over to TCL. So lets stop with the hope and move on, I hope the Mercury is a good phone, but in the end its just another droid in a crowded market.
    Right, that's why I say that Blackberry (the waterloo software company) should develop (easy to do) a software enhacement to be able to use those keys as described. It is a software tweak, so that's something they can do. Hardware-wise the product seems to be mostly definitive. I don't see any incongruences in my post sorry,
    02-23-17 01:41 AM
    It makes me remember a app for old blackberry 8520. The super-space. After press the SPACE key. A Manu popped up and you can make key sequence to fire up lots of functions.
    More buttons has it advantage too.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 05:44 AM
27 12