I agree with him !! I was waiting for the mercury but if the screen is 4.5 inches and thats bot very good for movies and games so i went for the dtek 60 instead but i would still buy it for the pkb
    12-07-16 06:06 AM
    835 will be newer and more efficient chip with much higher performance.
    People said the same thing about the 808/810 before it was released and appeared in real phones.
    12-07-16 06:22 AM
    Seriously what's wrong with people in here? Blackberry should be focused on delivering a phone with smooth flow and functionality with a killer battery life. Marketed for the business professional and on the go adult. That's what this phone should strive for. Keep the price down let people know you have a killer qwerty, all android apps needed, a finger print scanner (since it seems so in demand and rumored to be on the phone), and a battery life that powers you through the day no problem. Most people don't take gaming seriously on their phone. This chip will be solid enough for standard gaming. Don't get caught up in the numbers war.
    ominaxe and tp2386 like this.
    12-07-16 07:38 AM
    Seriously what's wrong with people in here? Blackberry should be focused on delivering a phone with smooth flow and functionality with a killer battery life. Marketed for the business professional and on the go adult. That's what this phone should strive for. Keep the price down let people know you have a killer qwerty, all android apps needed, a finger print scanner (since it seems so in demand and rumored to be on the phone), and a battery life that powers you through the day no problem. Most people don't take gaming seriously on their phone. This chip will be solid enough for standard gaming. Don't get caught up in the numbers war.
    Yus! You wanna game, get a DTEK60 or Pixel, or something. You want good battery life? Get a Mercury... or a Pixel.
    12-07-16 08:04 AM
    What do you mean what's wrong? Is it wrong to want a fast smartphone the holds up to the global flagship standard? especially from a company that claims it is business-centric?

Also, regarding battery life, we'll see. That's what they said about Priv and we got a 6 hours charge...
    Dave Knight2 likes this.
    12-07-16 01:36 PM
    What do you mean what's wrong? Is it wrong to want a fast smartphone the holds up to the global flagship standard? especially from a company that claims it is business-centric?

Also, regarding battery life, we'll see. That's what they said about Priv and we got a 6 hours charge...
    The 808/810 was a mess for battery. The 625 has already proven to be exceptional in that regard.

Do you understand that BlackBerry is producing a relatively small run of these devices, and as a result the cost will be high? Putting ridiculously-high specs would push the price into the stratosphere, for absolutely no gain. A business tool does not need an 821/835 - that's insane.
    ominaxe, Gallofa and Dave Knight2 like this.
    12-07-16 01:42 PM
    The 808/810 was a mess for battery. The 625 has already proven to be exceptional in that regard.

Do you understand that BlackBerry is producing a relatively small run of these devices, and as a result the cost will be high? Putting ridiculously-high specs would push the price into the stratosphere, for absolutely no gain. A business tool does not need an 821/835 - that's insane.
    We don't need high specs, but the successor to the 625 will be launching soon. No reason to not want the current mid-range sd soc in a new handset.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-16 02:47 PM
    We don't need high specs, but the successor to the 625 will be launching soon. No reason to not want the current mid-range sd soc in a new handset.

Posted via CB10
    It doesn't work that way. The Mercury is already through the design and prototype stage. You just can't slap a 626 SoC into it now.

And btw, @mnns absolutely wants the 821/835.

DTEK60 / Z30
    stlabrat and CyberMan2013 like this.
    12-07-16 02:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    Then be ready to wait another 6 months for the device...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-07-16 03:19 PM
    It doesn't work that way. The Mercury is already through the design and prototype stage. You just can't slap a 626 SoC into it now.

And btw, @mnns absolutely wants the 821/835.

DTEK60 / Z30
    Basically this. You don't just say oh new chip let's throw that in our phone and call it a day.

I had priv since launch and have not had battery issues. I easily can get 8 hours with 30-40% left. That is basically what all phone makers should be striving for in battery life. Power me through a day without any issue. As related to mercury we are about to fall into the same trap as other phones. Hope for high end specs then complain about why the phone was priced so high and why it failed. IMO the qwerty keyboard is still Blackberrys biggest asset. If they can pull this phone off right with keyboard, price, and some marketing it will probably be their biggest seller since moving to android. But the reality is that they have a huge mountain to climb no matter what type of phone or its price they are releasing.
    12-07-16 03:29 PM
    835 will be newer and more efficient chip with much higher performance.

I'm aware it might be that, seems like a quality device from leaked pictures. BlackBerry might flip-flop and keep producing revisions of Mercury if demand is there, they probably have still a capable design team to change SoC to a newer one. Think like what Moto Z is to Moto Z Play, will be good if they offered a Premium version of Mercury. Even with a 625 though looks to be best BlackBerry designed phone ever, should have best battery life, overall performance and best cameras and might also have best build quality. Even a 10nm sucessor to 625 revision I would be happy with.

Will be interesting to see who they partner up with and if a new keyboard phone will be released and what type as I like the capacitive keyboard on Passport a lot and Mercury one seems even better with fingerprint sensor and the symbols and numbers on the keyboard (PRIV keyboard evolved).
    and will cost like 2-3 times more.
    12-07-16 04:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    That "successor" is called the 626, also known as the same friggin processor with a faster clock.
    12-07-16 04:31 PM
    Then be ready to wait another 6 months for the device...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Unfortunately, this phone will be a failure. That's what blackberry makes this days: disappointments.

When they make a Passport Android 7.1, curved screen, SD 835, 4 mics, USB C, Quick Charge 4.0 - I'll pay $1000. Just get me a freaking great phone, not a compromise. Just like the Passport was. The thing is they won't ever make this phone. First of off, they are way too slow. Secondly, their Chinese counterparts (new licensees) will probably get us a Chinese plastic clicky crap phone with the cheapest hardware they could find.

I seriously gave up with BB after being a fan for many, many years.

12-08-16 03:27 AM
    Yeah BlackBerry, produce now a high-end Phone with everything a normal User doesn't need and ask 1.000 USD - this is a nice Plan. Especially as the form-factor of the Passport was loved by ALL!

So, one advice: if you are searching for that Phone and would Like to pay this, then move over to the flagships of other companies. As they are such faster anyway... the next iphone should have a hexa-core and you are lucky.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-16 03:34 AM
    Unfortunately, this phone will be a failure. That's what blackberry makes this days: disappointments.

When they make a Passport Android 7.1, curved screen, SD 835, 4 mics, USB C, Quick Charge 4.0 - I'll pay $1000. Just get me a freaking great phone, not a compromise. Just like the Passport was. The thing is they won't ever make this phone. First of off, they are way too slow. Secondly, their Chinese counterparts (new licensees) will probably get us a Chinese plastic clicky crap phone with the cheapest hardware they could find.

You do understand that BlackBerry isn't making phones just for you, right?
    buwee likes this.
    12-08-16 03:45 AM
    Yeah BlackBerry, produce now a high-end Phone with everything a normal User doesn't need and ask 1.000 USD - this is a nice Plan. Especially as the form-factor of the Passport was loved by ALL!

So, one advice: if you are searching for that Phone and would Like to pay this, then move over to the flagships of other companies. As they are such faster anyway... the next iphone should have a hexa-core and you are lucky.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, see how well that worked with the Priv. Notice many more people are choosing the DTEKs over the Pixel just because it's more affordable. Google can afford to take a financial hit developing new and up to date hardware and BlackBerry cannot. BlackBerry is doing much better with more affordable phones. Catering to more people will keep them afloat longer.

Also, I'm using my Q10 and have my Passport in a drawer. Not everyone loves the Passport's form factor.
    12-08-16 03:52 AM
    The problem with SoC is it is not future proof. That is my concern. Since this might be the last qwerty phone running on a up to date OS, I would want my phone to work smooth for a couple of years. Android won't stay where it is now in two years and will require more cpu and ram that is when we will start to see lag etc. I know BlackBerry can't afford a high end pkb phone
    12-08-16 05:38 AM
    People said the same thing about the 808/810 before it was released and appeared in real phones.
    There were already rumours about heat and stuff for them chips before they made it into the market. They were higher performance and slightly more efficient chips though. 14nm LPP process by Samsung doesn't seem as good as 16nm TSMC but both are awesome processes anyway compared to 20nm and 28nm process. What is written about 10nm FinFET seems a evolution of that and looks to be a huge improvement which will make flagships coming out next year have long lastability in terms of not feeling outdated for couple of years.

Getting nearly less than half the memory bandwidth of what the Passport has and less GPU performance in a 2017 release smartphone is disappointing though especially when Qualcomm are finally releasing top SoCs that compete well against Apple's best, instead getting something below what the iPhone 5S had in terms of performance in 2013. I guess beggars can't be choosers though, grateful they are releasing another keyboard phone. Should have awesome battery life with Nougat and the 625 if screen and WiFi chip are power frugal, might be phone with best battery life at time of release.
    and will cost like 2-3 times more.
    It wouldn't be that much more. I mean it's possible to buy a Lenovo phone with a Snapdragon 820 for �150. Surely the SoC can't cost that much more. Mercury will probably be about �400 with a 625, hopefully price will be lower than that though as otherwise will be up against devices with a 835 SoC by the big brands.
    12-08-16 06:03 AM

It wouldn't be that much more. I mean it's possible to buy a Lenovo phone with a Snapdragon 820 for �150. Surely the SoC can't cost that much more. Mercury will probably be about �400 with a 625, hopefully price will be lower than that though as otherwise will be up against devices with a 835 SoC by the big brands.
    For Lenovo, yeah, but keep in mind you're comparing a company that had enough income to buy out IBMs entire hardware business with a company who is bleeding cash.

Listen, I'm not saying I wouldn't love and wouldn't buy a phone with flagship specs, but BlackBerry just doesn't have the capital to do that and take another huge loss if they don't sell. Right now they're working on making as much money as they can before they (possibly) pull out of the hardware business. They won't do that with a pricey niche phone.

And besides, it seems like everyone that runs Android buys new phones every 2 years anyway.
    12-08-16 06:15 AM
    For Lenovo, yeah, but keep in mind you're comparing a company that had enough income to buy out IBMs entire hardware business with a company who is bleeding cash.

Listen, I'm not saying I wouldn't love and wouldn't buy a phone with flagship specs, but BlackBerry just doesn't have the capital to do that and take another huge loss if they don't sell. Right now they're working on making as much money as they can before they (possibly) pull out of the hardware business. They won't do that with a pricey niche phone.

And besides, it seems like everyone that runs Android buys new phones every 2 years anyway.
    I hope stuff like headphone out, speakers and mics are at least as good as Passport though, it's amazing how poor some Android flagship devices are when it comes to stuff like that.

Comparing say Passport which is only dual core in Android apps vs Mercury memory performance is disappointing as can be seen below. Also added comparison against my LG G5 I had which will be similar to DTEK60 performance for comparison and knowing that I will likely buy a phone year later for more with much less performance is annoying. I think it would have been better to go out with a better performing device, I suppose at least it's better than what Vienna was looking like which looked like an even more budget handset.
    Snapdragon 625 will be too SLOW in H1 2017.-passport-vs-mercury-memory-bandwidth.png
    Snapdragon 625 will be too SLOW in H1 2017.-passport-vs-g5-memory-bandwidth.png
    12-08-16 06:55 AM
    Blackberry keeps missing out. SD 625 has 900 single-core score on Geekbench, that's half of modern phones such as OnePlus 3 and Google Pixel XL.

Even Priv lags a lot (with a more powerful SD 808), why in the world would BB release a slower phone? I've just played with a OnePlus 3 (Chinese crap? not anymore...) and was stunned to see how slow my BB Priv is compared to it. SD 625, in terms of performance, is already outdated (and slower than the Priv). In 2-3 months it will be worse, when SD 835 will be the flagship SoC.

The community begged for an Android Passport (a top range quality and performance) and got a very mid-range phone.

I would order 2 Mercuries just for backup if it had a modern powerful processor (SD 820/821/835).

Android is slow and laggy as it as. I really, really want to, but I guess I won't buy a BlackBerry in 2017.

BlackBerry keeps disappointing.
    I guess Moto keeps disappointing as well since thier latest Moto G4 plus runs on the 625.
    12-08-16 06:57 AM

And you'll probably be the only one to buy the said phone.

Glad you're not a fan anymore, because the so-called fans were precisely BlackBerry's problems.
    12-08-16 07:51 AM
    I guess Moto keeps disappointing as well since thier latest Moto G4 plus runs on the 625.
    Z Play is 625, G4 Plus is 617.
    12-08-16 07:52 AM

Just like the DTEK60 and the HUAWEI Mate8 and Mate9 and all of the new Xaomi flagship phones...and...hmmmm...let me see what other phones are made in China...Ah yes...the iPhone, right? Just because it's Chinese made and/or designed that automatically means it's going to be cheap and inferior, right? Only people in one or two parts of the world can design and manufacture high quality technology devices, right? Not so?

Posted via CB10
    12-08-16 07:54 AM
    not true. Lenovo brought IBM PC business... ibm kept main frame and cloud and others profitable divisions... ibm used the money for better stuff like AI of watson to diagnostic of cancer treatment for example... currently, ibm is looking for hardware engineer like no tomorrow (I guess with "true north" brain chip types of program in sight...). IBM Hardware Engineer Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
    12-08-16 09:36 AM
226 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD