Unfortunately, this phone will be a failure. That's what blackberry makes this days: disappointments.

When they make a Passport Android 7.1, curved screen, SD 835, 4 mics, USB C, Quick Charge 4.0 - I'll pay $1000. Just get me a freaking great phone, not a compromise. Just like the Passport was. The thing is they won't ever make this phone. First of off, they are way too slow. Secondly, their Chinese counterparts (new licensees) will probably get us a Chinese plastic clicky crap phone with the cheapest hardware they could find.

I seriously gave up with BB after being a fan for many, many years.

Seriously, WTF does a curved screen provide? I think it's an absolute joke and hate that it distorts the image. So freakin' useless, just another gimmick to make you think something "new and innovative" have been released. Like those useless curved tv's. Absolutely moronic...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    12-08-16 11:47 AM
    Yeah BlackBerry, produce now a high-end Phone with everything a normal User doesn't need and ask 1.000 USD - this is a nice Plan. Especially as the form-factor of the Passport was loved by ALL!

So, one advice: if you are searching for that Phone and would Like to pay this, then move over to the flagships of other companies. As they are such faster anyway... the next iphone should have a hexa-core and you are lucky.

Posted via CB10
    LMAO! Yep, some people think that their own personal preference must be the gold standard. Narcissistic thinking level over 9000...

12-08-16 11:48 AM
    That "successor" is called the 626, also known as the same friggin processor with a faster clock.
    There's no other change? I understand it may not be a die shrink, but there's really nothing new? Well fair enough. But it's also a matter of marketing and public perception. I don't know why BlackBerry has never considered that it looks good to be using brand "new" hardware in their brand new phones.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-16 12:58 PM
    There's no other change? I understand it may not be a die shrink, but there's really nothing new? Well fair enough. But it's also a matter of marketing and public perception. I don't know why BlackBerry has never considered that it looks good to be using brand "new" hardware in their brand new phones.

Posted via CB10
    Qualcomm themselves say it's a drop-in replacement.
    12-08-16 07:17 PM
    You do realize that the Mercury is the last BlackBerry device ever, right?

Any future devices, if they come, will be phones offered by licence-holders in specific markets.
    So the story goes. And a few months ago, DTEK60 was the last device.
    12-08-16 08:16 PM
    So the story goes. And a few months ago, DTEK60 was the last device.
    At least that's the conclusion some people came to.
    12-08-16 08:27 PM
    At least that's the conclusion some people came to.
    I'm fairness, BlackBerry specifically stated as much.
    12-08-16 08:34 PM
    Which is funny because when BB says positive things they are liars and cannot get their own stories straight. But when they say negative things, oh, it has to be true...

12-08-16 08:55 PM
    Which is funny because when BB says positive things they are liars and cannot get their own stories straight. But when they say negative things, oh, it has to be true...

Was it positive or negative when Beard said "this is our last in-house phone" when introducing the DTEK60? I just thought it was a statement of fact.
    12-08-16 08:59 PM
    And then they said something else. So, was Mercury dead one minute and alive the next, or was it more a matter of interpreting BlackBerry's changing hardware related business plans moving forward?
    12-08-16 08:59 PM
    Was it positive or negative when Beard said "this is our last in-house phone" when introducing the DTEK60? I just thought it was a statement of fact.
    Not you in particular, I don't keep track of who said what. I was just replying to you because "them saying so" made me think about that fact about some people here on CB. Don't get so defensive on the drop of the faucet...

12-08-16 09:01 PM
    So, was Mercury dead one minute and alive the next?
    I believe it was.

Something changed inside BlackBerry in the interim. My thought was that it may have something to do with a future licencee.
    12-08-16 09:52 PM
    I believe it was.

Something changed inside BlackBerry in the interim. My thought was that it may have something to do with a future licencee.
    And, if someone has licensed the rights to build and distribute the BlackBerry designed and tested prototype for Mercury, then the DTEK60 would be the last device "built and distributed" by BlackBerry.
    12-08-16 10:16 PM
    I'm still going with pi**-poor internal communication on BlackBerry's end. DTEK60 was the second non-in-house TCL reference design/rebadge. I don't recall the exact wording, but if that's the case, that statement is wrong in the first place.

Left hand not talking to the right is the only possible explanation why they say one thing, then post a bajillion explanation followups after.
    12-09-16 09:08 AM
    Since the original leak get Argon and Neon spec completely correct so far, 625 is set in the stone.
    My only complain is that they don't move to 626, anyway 625 is already faster than 800 which I currently use in Nexus 5.
    12-09-16 10:16 AM
    I'm still going with pi**-poor internal communication on BlackBerry's end. DTEK60 was the second non-in-house TCL reference design/rebadge. I don't recall the exact wording, but if that's the case, that statement is wrong in the first place.

Left hand not talking to the right is the only possible explanation why they say one thing, then post a bajillion explanation followups after.
    When Beard said "this is our last in house phone" he could simply have meant it is the last phone project management entirely by BlackBerry.

I will be surprised if Mercury is managed entirely in house like the Priv was and doesn't involve some kind of licensing partnership.
    12-09-16 10:41 AM

The word "in-house" for the DTEK devices is still accurate in my opinion. They were contracted to be built by BlackBerry, who then took full responsibility for inventory, sales , marketing, distribution, and support. Even on the design side, BlackBerry had input - sure they used reference parts from TCL, but the designs are unique - with different backs, screens, memory configuration, etc.

It is still my opinion that the Mercury was currently off the table when Beard made his remarks. Something happened after that to reverse the decision. Beard is not some low level person - he would have known.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    12-09-16 10:55 AM
    When Beard said "this is our last in house phone" he could simply have meant it is the last phone project management entirely by BlackBerry.

I will be surprised if Mercury is managed entirely in house like the Priv was and doesn't involve some kind of licensing partnership.
    Except BlackBerry describes the Mercury as an in-house phone.

If it was a licenced model, wouldn't they be proud to announce that? It would be great news for their new device business model.
    12-09-16 10:56 AM
    Except BlackBerry describes the Mercury as an in-house phone.

If it was a licenced model, wouldn't they be proud to announce that? It would be great news for their new device business model.
    Mercury is at least an in-house design.

Yes, if there was a licensing deal, then you would think we might have heard by now.

And, if Mercury is being done entirely in-house, then at some point we can expect confirmation beyond Chen's promise that it is coming soon.
    12-09-16 11:39 AM
    Or maybe Alcatel has just licensed the rights to build all future BlackBerry phones including Mercury.
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 12-10-16 at 11:06 PM.
    12-09-16 11:48 AM
    And you'll probably be the only one to buy the said phone.

Glad you're not a fan anymore, because the so-called fans were precisely BlackBerry's problems.
    Yes, I'm quite sure an anonymous BlackBerry fan is the reason for BlackBerry's failure.
    Not the designers, not the board that chose BB over Android for the last years, not the fault of the marketing that practically doesn't exists, not the fault of the CFO that decided to overprice that Priv and by doing so failed the only chance of survivor, not the fault of the R&D and Product divisions that failed to bring something new and exciting to the market.

Jesus, this fanboy blind talk and bashing is absolutely embarrassing, it really doesn't matter how much you'll protect the brand and this upcoming phone, chances are it will be a failure, just like every other BB handset over the past half-decade. Like it, or not, this is the absolute reality, and although I really wish to see BlackBerry flourish, they probably won't - because they currently don't have skill to make it in this very tight market.

Yes, you can easily blame BlackBerry for taking the time to design and produce a phone, which results in a last year mid-specs, there's nothing wrong about blaming them for that. If a company wants to grab headlines, they have to have a great PR team and a high-spec cutting edge product. There's absolutely zero doubt about BlackBerry DTEK70 being too slow comparing to the high\gold-standard, which I need when it comes to my primary business tool, my phone.
    12-10-16 03:21 AM
    Yes, I'm quite sure an anonymous BlackBerry fan is the reason for BlackBerry's failure.
    Not the designers, not the board that chose BB over Android for the last years, not the fault of the marketing that practically doesn't exists, not the fault of the CFO that decided to overprice that Priv and by doing so failed the only chance of survivor, not the fault of the R&D and Product divisions that failed to bring something new and exciting to the market.

Jesus, this fanboy blind talk and bashing is absolutely embarrassing, it really doesn't matter how much you'll protect the brand and this upcoming phone, chances are it will be a failure, just like every other BB handset over the past half-decade. Like it, or not, this is the absolute reality, and although I really wish to see BlackBerry flourish, they probably won't - because they currently don't have skill to make it in this very tight market.

Yes, you can easily blame BlackBerry for taking the time to design and produce a phone, which results in a last year mid-specs, there's nothing wrong about blaming them for that. If a company wants to grab headlines, they have to have a great PR team and a high-spec cutting edge product. There's absolutely zero doubt about BlackBerry DTEK70 being too slow comparing to the high\gold-standard, which I need when it comes to my primary business tool, my phone.
    Point here is what you are saying is plainly impossible and an unrealistic ask at this point of time. They don't have the resources to further waste on a high end with a high price, when the brand is tarnished, and given their volumes, the high end phone you want won't even have a high end price, more like ultra high end for them to even make an ounce of profit. Even companies like OnePlus and Xiaomi didn't start selling "affordable flagships" over night, they have been around for YEARS in China before they even took the international stage. That's what happened with BlackBerry over the course of the years, in reverse. They had the resources from the start from previous successes, but wasted all that time on BB10 and "pleasing the fanboys" re-releasing the BB 9900.

That's what you're NOT getting. You're just constantly chanting "my needs, my needs", which honestly is no different than all those "I love my Passport, it's fits my needs so well I carry two of them" posts. It isn't changing what the OVERALL MARKET thinks of the BlackBerry brand.

It's easy to call me a "fanboy", where the reality is I didn't even get my first BlackBerry until last year, and hated that POS. I want this phone to succeed just like the fanboys, only because it has a keyboard, and I probably should hate BlackBerry for killing any opportunities the PKB had.
    12-10-16 09:14 AM
    Chill folks, Mercury, if comes out, is not the phone for "everybody". If you're into playing games and watching movies and all the entertainment stuff, it's not for you. If you use your phone for phone and text and e mail with work as well and you want PKB, then this might be the phone for you. Way too many folks want this phone to be all things for all people and that's NOT why it is being produced. It is for a specific set of phone users, not the mass who by fruity phones, but the others out there. Simple as that. I don't need the absolute fastest phone, or highest graphics, etc, etc. Make it dependable, durable, and competitive and I'm all in. Just like my Q10. That will be a winning combo period. End of story.

Posted via CB10
    ominaxe and nbaliga like this.
    12-10-16 09:46 AM
    Isn't the 625 designed around getting better battery life than the alternatives? The Mercury should be a workhorse, not a gaming machine. With the slightly smaller screen being made up for with the PKB it's a phone designed for people who want to get stuff done, and for that I'd take a current gen. chip that lasts forever over something slightly more powerful that I need to recharge twice a day.
    12-10-16 11:31 AM
    Isn't the 625 designed around getting better battery life than the alternatives? The Mercury should be a workhorse, not a gaming machine. With the slightly smaller screen being made up for with the PKB it's a phone designed for people who want to get stuff done, and for that I'd take a current gen. chip that lasts forever over something slightly more powerful that I need to recharge twice a day.
    This!

Also the people who are crying over the screensize: Pkb fans are willing to give in a bit of the screensize to have a pkb. Its one or the other. Cant have both.
    12-10-16 11:58 AM
226 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD