Hey guys, just noticed that in the image posted by the official account @bbmobile on twitter, the nav bar is gone replaced by on screen buttons

No capacitive buttons?-64699850.jpg

BlackBerry passport
    Mikey_NNG likes this.
    02-10-17 04:32 AM
    No capacitive buttons?-64699850_edit.jpg

BlackBerry passport
    02-10-17 04:34 AM
    oh my goodness I never saw that! Well spotted, you have a keen eye for detail. I think this is actually better because we now get a little more screen space. Which is always nice.

I'm so excited!! That screen looks so great

Posted Via BlackBerry Q5
    02-10-17 04:44 AM
    I don't think many have seen it. It was the first thing I noticed. I don't know what to think of it. The render itself is beautiful though. Except for the short teaser videos, this is actually the first time I'm really feeling the design.

Posted via CB10
    Carjackd likes this.
    02-10-17 04:47 AM
    Nice spot. Bigger screen? Bigger keyboard?
    02-10-17 05:31 AM
    I tried comparing the render to the CES footage. It looks to me that screen size is the same, but the phone isn't as tall anymore. As if they got rid of the entire space where the capacitive buttons were. What y'all think?

Posted via CB10
    02-10-17 05:59 AM
    Hope this is accurate... I was bummed about the dedicated nav bar taking up precious space... if true then cudos to TCL.
    02-10-17 06:22 AM
    Its still strange 'cause in the android home page there is no "gray semi-transparent" nav bar. I think they simply took the wrong render, or they did it on purpose to make us think the screen is bigger
    No capacitive buttons?-blackberry-priv-review-02233.jpg
    02-10-17 06:22 AM
    @DHabkirk tweeted in reference to this picture "Spot the mistake", so I think it is just an incorrect render and the finial Mercury version will have capacitive nav buttons like the version shown at CES in January.

https://twitter.com/DHabkirk/status/829897771285114880
    02-10-17 07:01 AM
    It's near impossible that they have made such an important change few days from launch

BlackBerry passport
    02-10-17 07:18 AM
    @DHabkirk tweeted in reference to this picture "Spot the mistake", so I think it is just an incorrect render and the finial Mercury version will have capacitive nav buttons like the version shown at CES in January.

How would he know if it was a mistake or a change? I'd trust Bla1ze or Kevin over him.
    02-10-17 07:55 AM
    It's near impossible that they have made such an important change few days from launch

BlackBerry passport
    Or change could have been already made given that the CES unit was a pre-production model.
    02-10-17 07:58 AM
    Um, I hope that is NOT true. Seriously guys, you would rather have a few millimeters of screen and have to deal with needing an extra step to access the navigation buttons or deal with the frustration if an app bugs out and doesn't show the icons when you want them? Really? A few millimeters of screen is worth that?? Hell no for me. But anyway, looking at the image the background of the icons is still black isn't it?

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Bla1ze, johnsliderbb and zensen like this.
    02-10-17 07:59 AM
    If this is image is a mistake it's a pretty bad one to make considering it's coming directly from BB. I think like hypersonic said, someone used the wrong render.
    02-10-17 08:01 AM
    How would he know if it was a mistake or a change? I'd trust Bla1ze or Kevin over him.
    Yes, I would trust either of them on this too... at the risk of sounding like Home Alone... Keviiiiin?!?!
    02-10-17 08:10 AM
    Would be better IMO. Hope they changed it. But I remember someone stating this few weeks ago.

Plus the camera ring seems mattified, looks to have some engraving on it but I could be wrong.
    02-10-17 08:18 AM
    I'm pretty sure it's just the rendering misleading you and those will still be a dedicated, capacitive strip.
    hypersonic1990 and Bla1ze like this.
    02-10-17 08:21 AM

I really hope so. To desire a few millimeters of screen over a consistent user experience just boggles my mind...

TheGraduate likes this.
    02-10-17 08:28 AM
    If anyone remember the Classic with division between the keys on the tool belt, and people were cheering up for this, and then it turned out to be a bad photoshop job by Blackberry.

Posted from my  Passport
    02-10-17 08:35 AM
    Imho, There is no difference in user exp... If the phone freeze there is no difference between capacitive strip and on screen buttons.
    Having hardware keys makes sense(a la samsung), but a capacitive strip is always gonna be there, if you need it or not, and does not give any tactile feedback. That said, no big deal for me.

BlackBerry passport
    02-10-17 08:37 AM
    Imho, There is no difference in user exp... If the phone freeze there is no difference between capacitive strip and on screen buttons.
    Having hardware keys makes sense(a la samsung), but a capacitive strip is always gonna be there, if you need it or not, and does not give any tactile feedback. That said, no big deal for me.

BlackBerry passport
    Not talking about freezing, but sometimes within an app it doesn't sense that you've swiped to access the buttons. But that's another thing, even when working perfectly, you need an extra step to access the buttons... yay for a few millimeters of screen, what would I have ever done without you?? Smfh

But will agree with you on one thing, I would have preferred the physical buttons.

johnsliderbb likes this.
    02-10-17 08:43 AM
    Wow, that is such a better looking Mercury render. I mean, what was BlackBerry thinking with those stupid capacitive buttons.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-17 09:06 AM
    Wow, that is such a better looking Mercury render. I mean, what was BlackBerry thinking with those stupid capacitive buttons.

Posted via CB10
    Some silly thing like a consistent user interface. They were too dumb to prioritize a few millimeters of screen over that. I mean, what's a few extra steps and frustrations when it doesn't act the way you want/expect?

02-10-17 09:15 AM
    While capacitive buttons are nice, I wouldn't mind having virtual keys either? I would like the option to swap the return and page button.

I've always changed to have the return button on the right side. Can't do that if they are built in.
    02-10-17 09:25 AM
    Hmmm...actually its 8mms and having a dedicated nav bar would be no different than regressing to the old tool belt design... I think that Priv's nav bar is great as it allows use of video (YouTube for example) at full width landscape mode. 8mms more space for the display is huuuge in this business, and not making this mistake is critically important especially for this device since the stakes are so high.
    02-10-17 09:28 AM
98 123 ...