While the whole tech world is excited about the Mercury, the negativity here on CB is enormous.

......WTF????
    01-12-17 06:38 AM
    People expressing their concerns and ventilating their hopes/suggestions for certain adjustments after seeing photos/videos of the pre-production model ≠ negativity.
    01-12-17 06:49 AM
    Really? you don't think the BlackBerry faithful have been dumped on enough....and now you say they are being negative? They have been abandonded. Their OS is done. No new BB devices. Oh course they are negative!
    01-12-17 06:51 AM
    I think many want the Mercury to be the Classic 2 and the Mercury is looking to be not close enough.
    01-12-17 07:18 AM
    Really? you don't think the BlackBerry faithful have been dumped on enough....and now you say they are being negative? They have been abandonded. Their OS is done. No new BB devices. Oh course they are negative!
    Lots of new BlackBerry devices Coming actually. Just not what people here want them to be. Unfortunately BlackBerry is a company not a charity.
    Tsepz_GP, z3user, SDTRMG and 1 others like this.
    01-12-17 07:22 AM
    It is less negativity, more of disappointment. People here know what BB is capable of: producing the best phones in the world (9700,Bold/Passport). And that is what they expect. This is why people believe in BlackBerry: security, quality of build/material/microphone/speaker/antenna, great global signal, great battery, great call experience, productivity.

After BB was slashed by iPhone/Android, we would expect they would learn how to advertise their products or at least carefully listen to their fans.
    Mercury is in the right direction, but not there yet (like we felt so many times). Some major flaws are already showing: thickness, slow processor and maybe the PKB is not what we are used to (a friend that returned from CES told me that it felt strange/plasticky comparing to Passport).

I always feel BB is really close, but not really there and I know they are capable. That's why I'm disappointed. And still, PKB is so important to me, I'll probably buy this Mercury brick.
    jas1978 and skinnymike1 like this.
    01-12-17 07:28 AM
    Lots of new BlackBerry devices Coming actually. Just not what people here want them to be. Unfortunately BlackBerry is a company not a charity.
    So people can't express the opinion that the new devices suck? Looking at the sales, I'd say the negative opinions are widely held.
    01-12-17 07:44 AM
    So people can't express the opinion that the new devices suck? Looking at the sales, I'd say the negative opinions are widely held.
    Did I say they couldn't express their opinion? I was responding to someone who claimed no more BlackBerry devices are coming. They are coming but they aren't what the people in here who the OP thinks are complaining want. And yes, they aren't what those people want because it was a money losing proposition and BlackBerry is not a charity. That is a fact.
    01-12-17 07:51 AM
    The mercury is not on the market yet. You just confirmed my OP
    PALoeza and skinnymike1 like this.
    01-12-17 08:18 AM
    I think you have to keep in mind that other tech sites are just that, tech sites that review a ton of different devices and technology. The majority of people here on CB are die hard fans and we that makes us critical on new BlackBerry devices.

Our harshness on device design, colors of device, button positioning and specs can come across as negativity but really it's our love for the brand.
    ominaxe likes this.
    01-12-17 08:48 AM
    Hi Niels,

I agree with you, the enormous negativity here just sucks. I find it amazing that people start bashing, reacting, writing open letters to BlackBerry on a product that hasn't even launched yet. And some even has such a strong opinion about the product, whilst everyone in the media and people who have actually seen and touch the product are positive.

Now probably a lot of people will react on this post and your thread with negativity and bashing and pin us down exact wording and how blackberry has abandoned all the lost souls etc. But that only proves your point.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-17 08:49 AM
    Lots of TCL devices, BlackBerry doesn't build devices anymore.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende and TgeekB like this.
    01-12-17 09:00 AM
    The mercury is not on the market yet. You just confirmed my OP
    No. Where did I say anything about the Mercury? Sorry, though.
    01-12-17 09:08 AM
    I think you have to keep in mind that other tech sites are just that, tech sites that review a ton of different devices and technology.
    So their context is perfect!
    01-12-17 09:23 AM
    The topic is about the Mercury.
    stlabrat likes this.
    01-12-17 09:28 AM
    BlackBerry wasn't building them before either. These will still be BlackBerry branded devices with BlackBerry software. The only difference is the design engineers are now employees of TCL rather then BlackBerry.
    01-12-17 09:35 AM
    I think you have to keep in mind that other tech sites are just that, tech sites that review a ton of different devices and technology. The majority of people here on CB are die hard fans and we that makes us critical on new BlackBerry devices.

Our harshness on device design, colors of device, button positioning and specs can come across as negativity but really it's our love for the brand.
    I bet if the Mercury was coming as a BB10 device most of the comments would have been full of praise.
    Flatman, ajwan and TgeekB like this.
    01-12-17 09:37 AM
    I bet if the Mercury was coming as a BB10 device most of the comments would have been full of praise.
    This!

I also love BB10. It's the best OS out there. But BB10 days are over. I hope I will get along with Android.
    PALoeza likes this.
    01-12-17 09:45 AM
    BlackBerry wasn't building them before either. These will still be BlackBerry branded devices with BlackBerry software. The only difference is the design engineers are now employees of TCL rather then BlackBerry.
    You can't compare the two.
    Apple doesn't build the iPhone but design it, whereas future blackberry device will be design and build by other OEM.

Only the software will be BlackBerry, hardware will have nothing to do with BB.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-17 09:48 AM
    So their context is perfect!
    I think their reviews are a lot closer to what the general public is going to think about the Mercury yes. Us die hards are very critical on new BlackBerry devices.
    Maybe. I'm sure the BB10 fans would find something to be critical about.

I hope everyone understands a new BB10 device is never going to happen by now.
    01-12-17 10:00 AM
    Here is what I will say. BlackBerry 10 devices simply did not sell enough to warrant BlackBerry to continue putting money into making and selling phones that would continue to lose them millions of dollars.

So BlackBerry had 2 realistic options as I see it. They could have gotten out of the handset business altogether. Or they could have made partnerships to develop secure smartphones running Android or ios OS with BlackBerry security features.

The fact that they made such partnerships to push out BlackBerry Android phones, so that even us physical keyboard lovers feel we have a legit upgrade coming in form of the "Mercury", is something that we should all be THANKFUL for, instead of lamenting BlackBerry not investing more money into an OS that had many shots in the market and largely failed. The BB10 OS itself was not so much a failure, but the phone sales were.

Posted with my  Classic
    01-12-17 10:03 AM
    This is a big difference. It could be good or bad. It is difficult to build a phone that is both good and reliable. It takes time and money. On the other hand PKB beggars cannot be choosers.
    01-12-17 10:08 AM
    Here is what I will say. BlackBerry 10 devices simply did not sell enough to warrant BlackBerry to continue putting money into making and selling phones that would continue to lose them millions of dollars.

So BlackBerry had 2 realistic options as I see it. They could have gotten out of the handset business altogether. Or they could have made partnerships to develop secure smartphones running Android or ios OS with BlackBerry security features.

The fact that they made such partnerships to push out BlackBerry Android phones, so that even us physical keyboard lovers feel we have a legit upgrade coming in form of the "Mercury", is something that we should all be THANKFUL for, instead of lamenting BlackBerry not investing more money into an OS that had many shots in the market and largely failed. The BB10 OS itself was not so much a failure, but the phone sales were.

Posted with my  Classic
    I totally agree. Very well said
    01-12-17 10:24 AM
    You can't compare the two.
    Apple doesn't build the iPhone but design it, whereas future blackberry device will be design and build by other OEM.

Only the software will be BlackBerry, hardware will have nothing to do with BB.

Posted via CB10
    Like I said, the design engineers wil just be working somewhere else rather then BlackBerry. And TCL has already said they would be bringing pkb devices. Where do you think those patents will come from? BlackBerry will obviously be working closely to ensure device quality and not just any old device will be pushed out considering software, which BlackBerry is responsible for, will need to be optimized.
    01-12-17 10:29 AM
    I think their reviews are a lot closer to what the general public is going to think about the Mercury yes. Us die hards are very critical on new BlackBerry devices.
    I think a lot more units will be sold to general public than to us die hards.
    01-12-17 10:32 AM
85 123 ...