January will be too late for Mercury
    No more FB and WA application for OS 10
    For design wise, Priv is better option than DTek series.
    10-27-16 05:03 AM
    I do believe Samsung may be an interested party. They sold the low/mid/high end devices, openly developed their own OS while selling android and have already manufactured a Samsung keyboard for their android device. That and the imagine hit they took (and are taking). If someone could see the need for a keyboard device, it would be them. Just my thoughts...
    10-27-16 06:45 AM
    I do believe Samsung may be an interested party. They sold the low/mid/high end devices, openly developed their own OS while selling android and have already manufactured a Samsung keyboard for their android device. That and the imagine hit they took (and are taking). If someone could see the need for a keyboard device, it would be them. Just my thoughts...
    Plus they would build it internally which will cost them less, plus name BlackBerry would be somewhat better in short term because of the note 7.
    jfalkingham likes this.
    10-27-16 06:47 AM
    Plus they would build it internally which will cost them less, plus name BlackBerry would be somewhat better in short term because of the note 7.
    Inspite of the Note 7 fiasco
    Frankly I don't think Samsung will see more sense in selling a PKB phone under the BlackBerry name instead of their own.
    It wouldn't help their image in any way
    Might just help them make more money in case the device is successful.
    They can definitely earn more money by putting out other Samsung phones (just my opinion)

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Wrec likes this.
    10-27-16 06:53 AM
    Would they be so bold to buy OS10 rights and develop further vs their tizen os? Who knows, but they are open to taking risks based on history.
    10-27-16 06:54 AM
    Would they be so bold to buy OS10 rights and develop further vs their tizen os? Who knows, but they are open to taking risks based on history.
    No, I was just talking about the hardware. I don't see any future for OS10 except for a government backup from Chinese or something like that.
    10-27-16 07:18 AM
    Can somebody give me an update on the latest developments. Is Mercury cancelled (no further involvement by Blackberry other than selling patents or licenses) ? Or is everybody just totally in the dark?

Posted via CB10
    10-27-16 08:49 AM
    Can somebody give me an update on the latest developments. Is Mercury cancelled (no further involvement by Blackberry other than selling patents or licenses) ? Or is everybody just totally in the dark?

Posted via CB10
    According to the last statements.

John Chen: I have not decided yet.
    Alex Thurber: We will see the next Pkb in 6 months.
    Marty Beard: DTEK 60 is the last BlackBerry phone. We hope there will be a licensee who will build the pkb. I would be really surprised if that does not happen.
    10-27-16 08:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    There will be no more Blackberry devices. Any future phones will be by licensed partners in their own markets.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-27-16 08:55 AM
    Maybe I should rephrase, I mean some design aspects of the Pixel (in my opinion) are shared with the "Mercury".

For example the camera position, the antenna lines at the bottom. The dimensions of the device. I might be completely wrong, but just have a suspicion.

Posted Via BlackBerry Noble OS 10.3.3
    Matty, sounds like the Mercury is an HTC built device?!

Posted via CB10
    10-27-16 09:17 AM
    Matty, sounds like the Mercury is an HTC built device?!

Posted via CB10
    That would be the worst choice HTC could make.
    10-27-16 09:22 AM
    Inspite of the Note 7 fiasco
    Frankly I don't think Samsung will see more sense in selling a PKB phone under the BlackBerry name instead of their own.
    It wouldn't help their image in any way
    Might just help them make more money in case the device is successful.
    They can definitely earn more money by putting out other Samsung phones (just my opinion)

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    I agree. People here seem to be too hopeful about the impact of the battery issue. The fact is, even if more of their devices would blow up, people would still rather buy a Samsung than a BlackBerry. Apple has had plenty of issues with both their iPhones and their iOS software. Has any of that slowed their sales down? No. The reason? These companies are not really popular because they sell any product so innovative nobody else has them, they are successful because they have sold a lifestyle. People feel like they are "cool" or "hip" if they have a device from them. I was just at a party and one of my friends was talking about just having received his new phone, and literally a bunch of them asked "oh, is it a Samsung?" as if the answer was no they would probably have grumbled at him, but it was a Samsung, so he got his badge of honor that day I guess... Nothing about what specs it has, what features it has, how the battery life was, nothing, just if it was a Samsung or not was all they needed to know before they give him their stamp of approval...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    AmritD likes this.
    10-27-16 09:53 AM
    I agree. People here seem to be too hopeful about the impact of the battery issue. The fact is, even if more of their devices would blow up, people would still rather buy a Samsung than a BlackBerry. Apple has had plenty of issues with both their iPhones and their iOS software. Has any of that slowed their sales down? No. The reason? These companies are not really popular because they sell any product so innovative nobody else has them, they are successful because they have sold a lifestyle. People feel like they are "cool" or "hip" if they have a device from them. I was just at a party and one of my friends was talking about just having received his new phone, and literally a bunch of them asked "oh, is it a Samsung?" as if the answer was no they would probably have grumbled at him, but it was a Samsung, so he got his badge of honor that day I guess... Nothing about what specs it has, what features it has, how the battery life was, nothing, just if it was a Samsung or not was all they needed to know before they give him their stamp of approval...

A pkb BlackBerry is much more desirable than a Samsung A series phone. It is not as Samsung will offer the mercury as a flagship.
    10-27-16 10:15 AM
    I do believe Samsung may be an interested party.
    Think a lot further down the food-chain because Blackberry themselves dismiss that idea:

Pini admits that such partnerships are not likely to occur with Android’s biggest names, who have already developed their own in-house security and productivity offerings. The company is instead targeting what he deems “second- and third-tier” handset makers.
    https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/29/bl...source=twitter
    10-27-16 10:47 AM
    This thread needs a new name. Lol.
    10-27-16 11:58 AM
    Mercury joins Pluto
    pooyam likes this.
    10-27-16 12:08 PM
    A pkb BlackBerry is much more desirable than a Samsung A series phone. It is not as Samsung will offer the mercury as a flagship.
    More desirable to whom? Apart from the few of us?
    The mass consumer market doesn't seem to desire PKB phones
    BlackBerry would have to market the **** out of that phone to make it desirable in the eyes of the consumer

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Last edited by Amritv; 10-27-16 at 12:35 PM.
    10-27-16 12:22 PM
    A Samsung built PKB DTEK could give them access to valuable gov contracts, allowing them to compete against Apple in an effort to inherit some of the BlackBerry contracts that are phasing out. This type of proliferation could also help Samsung be perceived more as a solutions company, less as a foreign competitor of Apple.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-16 05:36 PM
    They just handle the ordering and shipping. They don't assume any risks.
    So isn't that the same as any other 3rd party distributor that BlackBerry might use in the future. What am I missing?

Posted via CB10 from AT&T Q10
    10-27-16 05:46 PM
    So isn't that the same as any other 3rd party distributor that BlackBerry might use in the future. What am I missing?
    Digital River currently "handle the ordering and shipping [for BlackBerry]. They don't assume any risks"

If a Mercury like device is made, it would be made by someone like TCL, except instead of making it for BlackBerry, they would be making their own device with security features, apps, and maybe even a physical keyboard licensed from BlackBerry.

The maker of this keyboard device would then be responsible for manufacturing, distributing, sales, and support, with BlackBerry being a partner who would not assume any of the costs or risks of producing the new device. And, since they are licensing features to the manufacturer, BlackBerry can only make money on the deal.
    cgk and JeepBB like this.
    10-27-16 06:20 PM

Posted via CB10 from AT&T Q10
    No. A licensee will design, build, control inventory, market, sell, distribute, advertise, and support the product.

BlackBerry is out of it entirely except for allowing them to use its name, and provide software at a cost.
    cgk, JeepBB and erose75 like this.
    10-27-16 06:23 PM

Apple has issues with iPhones? From what I saw there's a huge interest for iPhone especially Indonesia which iPhone 7 only launched in nearest country like Singapore, for Samsung there's no demand (close to zero - people even didn't ask) because can purchase from local reseller. I'm talking about market for 3 nearest country Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia. With note 7 case, surely got some impact.
    10-28-16 12:10 AM
    A Samsung built PKB DTEK could give them access to valuable gov contracts,
    Samsung already sell more devices to gov than Blackberry does.
    Last edited by cgk; 10-28-16 at 02:48 AM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-28-16 02:01 AM
    Can we just agree that there is no way that Samsung is going to buy a pkb license in 2017

Posted via CB10
    Barbareren likes this.
    10-28-16 03:39 AM
    Can we just agree that there is no way that Samsung is going to buy a pkb license in 2017

Posted via CB10
    If BlackBerry sell their PKB patents to Samsung, I'm happy. So much potential BlackBerry has that's not being used. Sure as hell Samsung will. They love trying new things out and anyway, they tried their PKB a few months back with that weird case thing.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-16 05:38 AM
1,190 ... 4041424344 ...