This phone better be released and soon.. I need a pkb can't stand typing on glass
    Marty Beard made it clear today that while he expects there will be a keyboard phone, it will depend on a partner agreeing to build, distribute, and sell it. So far it sounds like they don't have a confirmed partner yet.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-25-16 04:43 PM
    But that PKB device does not have to be the Mercury as we know from this forum?
    BlackBerry COO confirmed that DTEK60 is the last BlackBerry non-licenced device.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-25-16 04:43 PM
    BlackBerry COO confirmed that DTEK60 is the last BlackBerry non-licenced device.
    So it is up to the partners what a PkB device will be like and Blackberry is only assuming that partners will build one.
    10-25-16 04:52 PM
    So it is up to the partners what a PkB device will be like and Blackberry is only assuming that partners will build one.
    Correct.

Design, manufacturing, marketing, and sales will be done by other parties (with some guidance). BlackBerry will provide the software, and therefore the name. "Powered by BlackBerry Android".

He states a pkb device is "highly likely" to come.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-25-16 05:03 PM
    Correct.

Design, manufacturing, marketing, and sales will be done by other parties (with some guidance). BlackBerry will provide the software, and therefore the name. "Powered by BlackBerry Android".

He states a pkb device is " highly likely" to come.
    And how about the BlackBerry designed device as we know from the picture and Geekbench? Down the shredder? Or can we still hope that a partner will buy the design and build it??
    10-25-16 05:10 PM
    Highly likely, thats vague
    10-25-16 05:11 PM
    Highly likely, thats vague
    Or fake??
    10-25-16 05:11 PM
    And how about the BlackBerry designed device as we know from the picture and Geekbench? Down the shredder? Or can we still hope that a partner will buy the design and build it??
    Too many unknowns. The only thing for sure is that BlackBerry will have little to do with it. Perhaps a partner can work from it, although they will probably start again from scratch.
    10-25-16 05:16 PM
    So we might as well close all the Mercury topics on CB?
    10-25-16 05:18 PM
    So we might as well close all the Mercury topics?
    That's above my pay grade.
    JeepBB and fanBBRY like this.
    10-25-16 05:19 PM
    This puts my feet back on the ground, and probably also of others...
    Barbareren likes this.
    10-25-16 05:23 PM
    The problem is the lack of information. A lot of us who lurks these forums would still prefer the pkb phone and are holding off on getting the second choice unless we are sure that the mercury is not coming. I really wish BB or the "partner" would come out and say whether there will be a pkb phone, and if there is, when.
    10-25-16 05:44 PM
    This is what BlackBerry posts every time someone asks about a new pkb device on Twitter:

Mercury Rising....-img_20161026_010212.png
    10-25-16 06:03 PM
    The problem is the lack of information. A lot of us who lurks these forums would still prefer the pkb phone and are holding off on getting the second choice unless we are sure that the mercury is not coming. I really wish BB or the "partner" would come out and say whether there will be a pkb phone, and if there is, when.

This is what BlackBerry posts every time someone asks about a new pkb device on Twitter:
    In other words, nothing is firm right now. Discussions are still going on, and no decisions have been made.
    10-25-16 06:05 PM
    Duplicate
    10-25-16 06:05 PM
    Hmm, just for clarification, what is a non-licensed BB device? I thought both the DTEK50 and 60 were licensed to TCL.
    10-25-16 06:44 PM
    Hmm, just for clarification, what is a non-licensed BB device? I thought both the DTEK50 and 60 were licensed to TCL.
    No. BlackBerry hired them build 2 devices off existing reference designs with some customization (screen, ram, back). BlackBerry remains fully responsible for marketing, stocking, selling, and supporting the devices.

The future licencing model offloads all of those other components too. BlackBerry only provides some guidance and the software. Licence partners design and build what THEY feel they can sell in their own markets.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-25-16 07:22 PM
    No. BlackBerry hired them build 2 devices off existing reference designs with some customization (screen, ram, back). BlackBerry remains fully responsible for marketing, stocking, selling, and supporting the devices.

The future licencing model offloads all of those other components too. BlackBerry only provides some guidance and the software. Licence partners design and build what THEY feel they can sell in their own markets.
    i see. thanks for the explanation!
    man i was really looking forward to the mercury.
    i know i shouldn't, but i feel a little betrayed after seeing the leaks of an upcoming pkb and then hearing from marty
    10-25-16 07:51 PM
    I feel betrayed too I was looking forward to the mercury since the day we first heard rumors about it.. They've could've atleast built their last pkb and deliver it to the market.. I really hope a partner can build this asap
    chagheill and Barbareren like this.
    10-25-16 08:45 PM
    agree.... I'll give them till January, and if there is no solid news about mercury, I'll probably have to go for a Priv or forever wiping glass with my fingers.
    10-25-16 09:07 PM
    I feel betrayed too I was looking forward to the mercury since the day we first heard rumors about it...
    Just remember that BlackBerry never promised you anything. If you feel betrayed, blame the people who treat rumors and user generated concepts as if they were factual designs coming from BlackBerry.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-25-16 11:05 PM
    Just remember that BlackBerry never promised you anything. If you feel betrayed, blame the people who treat rumors and user generated concepts as if they were factual designs coming from BlackBerry.
    Well Alex Thurber clearly said a pkb was coming in 6 months. So if it does not happen, I would feel betrayed too.
    Sigewif likes this.
    10-26-16 12:51 AM
    (never mind)
    Last edited by Niels B; 10-26-16 at 02:22 AM.
    10-26-16 12:58 AM
    Well Alex Thurber clearly said a pkb was coming in 6 months. So if it does not happen, I would feel betrayed too.
    To be fair to Thurber, he's not the boss - maybe it was coming... And then wasn't.
    10-26-16 02:55 AM
    Correct.

He states a pkb device is "highly likely" to come.
    So, do I get my prize now?
    10-26-16 03:01 AM
1,190 ... 3839404142 ...