There are vague suggestions that Samsung might fix the Note 7 battery and replace it in their Note 7 stockpile and then resell these phones as refurbished. Since the battery has now been officially determined to be the cause of Note 7 woes, fixing it might do the trick.

The question, then, is... would you buy a refurbished Note 7 at huge discount, say priced at $250, or go with the mercury, probably around $550-600?

Battery woes notwithstanding, the Note 7 is arguably the best android of 2016 and has specs that still blow away current 2107 phones, mercury included. What it doesn't have, however, is the Blackberry pkb and dtek software.
    01-23-17 09:06 PM
    Are you going to buy a loaf of bread or a tub of yogurt?

Buy what you prefer to eat.

Buy the phone you would rather use. Keyboard or no keyboard.
    01-23-17 09:17 PM
    Battery woes notwithstanding, the Note 7 is arguably the best android of 2016 and has specs that still blow away current 2107 phones, mercury included. What it doesn't have, however, is the Blackberry pkb and dtek software.
    Yes notwithstanding the fact that it'll burn your house down - certainly the best phone of 2016!

I had one, I'll be getting the mercury because of the physical keyboard...Samsung won't be releasing another refurbished Note 7.
    Last edited by mmmac; 01-23-17 at 09:43 PM.
    Bure03 likes this.
    01-23-17 09:27 PM
    The Note 7 name is out of the question. The Note 7 fiasco was big enough to drag some people into thinking that all Samsung phones are ticking time bombs. Bringing it back with that in mind, plus the fact that the FAA has still banned it from any planes in the USA means that it'd be even worse than the first time they tried selling it.

As for spec, it's a Snapdragon 820 (assuming you're talking about the USA model), even the DTEK60 has one now. The Mercury is going with the 652 to play up the image of a "workhorse" (ugh) phone that plows through emails while keeping the battery for a day.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    01-23-17 10:03 PM
    The Note 7 name is out of the question. The Note 7 fiasco was big enough to drag some people into thinking that all Samsung phones are ticking time bombs. Bringing it back with that in mind, plus the fact that the FAA has still banned it from any planes in the USA means that it'd be even worse than the first time they tried selling it.

As for spec, it's a Snapdragon 820 (assuming you're talking about the USA model), even the DTEK60 has one now. The Mercury is going with the 652 to play up the image of a "workhorse" (ugh) phone that plows through emails while keeping the battery for a day.
    652 or 625? *confused*

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    01-23-17 10:07 PM
    652 or 625? *confused*

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Aagh, Snapdragon 625. I probably mix up the MSM and Snapdragon numbers.

https://twitter.com/rquandt/status/812355537882869761

To remind myself in the future:

Snapdragon 617 = MSM8952 = DTEK50
    Snapdragon 625 = MSM8953 = Mercury
    Snapdragon 652 = MSM8976 = Nothing in particular
    Snapdragon 808 = MSM8992 = Priv
    Snapdragon 820 = MSM8996 = DTEK60
    AmritD likes this.
    01-23-17 10:14 PM
    If Note 7 did not have problem, it was probably the best android phone in 2017 but I doubt they'll try to resell them as refurbished.
    01-23-17 10:31 PM
    Note 7 is dead and buried. It ain't happening. Besides, why would they even bother? Carbon credits? Lol.
    01-24-17 08:09 AM
    There's no way they'd do that. The name is totally tarnished.
    01-24-17 08:34 AM
    I doubt that Samsung will re-release the Note 7.. Regardless, the question of whether to go for the Note or the Mercury is really based on the user's needs and budget.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-17 08:46 AM
    Knowing that it had a history of burning, exploding, or what not. Will you still buy it even with a huge discount and claims they fixed it?

Certainly, I won't.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-17 08:51 AM
    That's an interesting question because you are trying to compare/purchase two completely different phones. After the whole Samsung issue, you would still consider a Samsung?
    01-24-17 09:42 AM
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a note 7, but there are a lot of loyalists out there. Just like there are BlackBerry loyalists. Samsung will do something with its note 7s, at very least cannibalize it for parts. Amazon did something similar with its fire phones - parts ended up in the $50 fire tablet that sold like hotcakes.

If I had my choice, I'd buy an LG Optimus f3q. It's pretty outdated, but it is the ONLY android landscape qwerty slider phone out there. Plus it's dirt cheap, about $60. Plus it has a built-in IR blaster, so I can use it to remote control my DVD player, seeing as how I lost the remote years ago.

Or... I could just get the mercury and buy a $5 IR dongle for it too.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    01-24-17 10:28 AM
    note 7 all the way. the note is certainly one of the best designs in smartphone history. If they fixed the battery and then sold them at that price its a no brainer. I dont see it happening though
    01-24-17 10:36 AM
    Sorry Nguyen, but if you had read the design issues concerning the batteries, you would understand that they cannot be fixed. Note 7 are harmful phones and should be returned (given that Samsung is disabling them via software, they'll soon be no more than classy paperweights), to get a refund at least. Again, forget the Note 7: and if anyone is going to sell a "refurbished Note 7", he will be a scammer. Now, the Mercury is a totally different phone as Conite pointed out! Consider a DTEK 60 if you like big full-touch smartphones, otherwise... I'm waiting for the Mercury, too.
    01-24-17 11:07 AM
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a note 7, but there are a lot of loyalists out there. Just like there are BlackBerry loyalists. Samsung will do something with its note 7s, at very least cannibalize it for parts. Amazon did something similar with its fire phones - parts ended up in the $50 fire tablet that sold like hotcakes.

If I had my choice, I'd buy an LG Optimus f3q. It's pretty outdated, but it is the ONLY android landscape qwerty slider phone out there. Plus it's dirt cheap, about $60. Plus it has a built-in IR blaster, so I can use it to remote control my DVD player, seeing as how I lost the remote years ago.

Or... I could just get the mercury and buy a $5 IR dongle for it too.

There's also the Motorola Droid 4, but both would be painfully slow on today's apps.
    01-24-17 11:12 AM
    Sorry Nguyen, but if you had read the design issues concerning the batteries, you would understand that they cannot be fixed. Note 7 are harmful phones and should be returned (given that Samsung is disabling them via software, they'll soon be no more than classy paperweights), to get a refund at least. Again, forget the Note 7: and if anyone is going to sell a "refurbished Note 7", he will be a scammer. Now, the Mercury is a totally different phone as Conite pointed out! Consider a DTEK 60 if you like big full-touch smartphones, otherwise... I'm waiting for the Mercury, too.
    I know nothing about battery design. I'm just relating what I read in an article about possible samsung plans. A "refurbished" note 7 would also only come directly from samsung. At any rate, I think samsung has better ways of focusing its efforts, such as the upcoming s8.

01-24-17 11:21 AM
    There's also the Motorola Droid 4, but both would be painfully slow on today's apps.
    I'm on at&t. I'd want an unlocked GSM phone, even a burner phone (ha ha) that I could eventually give away to a relative outside USA.

Droid and Optimus are like zombie-slow, but my needs are simple, mostly email and communication, no games, barely any browsing.

01-24-17 11:30 AM
    The Note 7 should pretty much be treated like Voldemont... "He who shall not be named"...
    01-25-17 01:06 AM
    Sorry but note 7 is dead.

They are already preparing for s8 and note 8.

No point in bringing back the 7
    01-25-17 02:59 PM
    Sorry but note 7 is dead.

They are already preparing for s8 and note 8.

No point in bringing back the 7
    Especially since the FAA ban on the Note 7 has no stipulations for when it is made. So even if they fix the problem, as long as it is called Note 7, you would not be allowed on a plane with it or check it into your checked baggage...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    01-25-17 03:18 PM
    Mercury!

That is all.
    howarmat, UrbanGlowCam and AmritD like this.
    01-25-17 07:37 PM
    Shame on you blackberry fans mentioning the note 7 here.
    01-26-17 03:08 AM