I've been reading about and watching youtube videos about the Microsoft Surface phone. It sounds like both will be launched at about the same time. There are only rumors as of now about how much each will cost, but assuming both will be approximately the same price, which one would you prefer?
    02-05-17 10:04 AM
    Physical keyboard... 'nuff said.
    02-05-17 10:12 AM
    No brainer......Merc all day.
    MitchFlynn24_7 likes this.
    02-05-17 10:37 AM
    For myself, it's the Blackberry Mercury all day.
    02-05-17 10:42 AM
    I hate to say this familiar refrain, but it depends on the apps you want or need. We've been through this with BB10. Plus, as others have said, vkb VS pkb.
    john_v likes this.
    02-05-17 10:47 AM
    The physical keyboard is the big draw for me, too. I really miss my Classic (battery drains too quickly).
    02-05-17 12:26 PM
    Tom,

Where did you hear about this Microsoft Surface Phone coming soon?
    I follow all the latest developments in Windows Mobile and haven't heard a peep in the past year or so. There are some user sketches and ideas but nothing solid from any reputable sources in the past 6 months. Any links or pointers (from 2017).

Thanks
    Tim-ANC and asublimeday like this.
    02-05-17 01:11 PM
    I first saw some videos about the Surface phone on youtube. I think I also saw an article about it on cnet.com.
    02-05-17 01:32 PM
    Hp elite was about $1000, i'd expect the surface phone would be about that, too. *Gulp*. Get the Mercury.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    02-05-17 01:44 PM
    PKB for life. I can't see how you could compare the two. Comparing the new surface to a new slab would be more like it.
    02-05-17 01:59 PM
    Mercury of course.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-17 02:04 PM
    If a MS Surface phone is ever made it will be a very high end phone. Would be competing with Google Pixel, Samsung's flagship etc. The Merc is rumoured to be mid tier and would be priced in that range. Even if the Merc is high end they seem to be very different devices for those with differing needs and wants.

The rumoured mock ups of a Surface phone with Windows mobile 10 does appeal a lot to me but there is no way I could afford it.

From what I have seen available right now, the only device that could tempt me from the cool look and uniqueness of the Merc is Xiaomi mi5s due to it's really strong specs and drop down price. Will see how much this new BB is before I decide. Hoping the BB is not too pricey...
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-05-17 02:25 PM
    First of all, this is a BlackBerry forum. So come on.

Secondly, the surface phone won't be out for months after the Mercury.

And Microsoft knows it's gotta be Android now b/c Windows Mobile bombed so bad.

I do love my Surface 3 though that I just bought yesterday. It's an awesome device to keep in your car or for short weekend trips if you have a huge laptop connected to monitors, etc at home. Just saying

Posted via CB10
    02-05-17 02:25 PM
    Don't go for a dying OS such as Windows. Play it safe and go for android. Plus, it has a PKB!

Posted via one of the Last of BlackBerry's Iconic devices
    02-06-17 12:17 AM
    Whichever one that you think will suit you best
    02-06-17 12:55 AM
    We know the Mercury is coming..can't say the same for the Surface phone. So mercury, but when and if the surface phones arrives I may look at it as a secondary device
    02-06-17 01:12 AM
    Stick with the android mercury, Android works best on phones, Windows works best on computers. May as well get something good if you are going to get something.
    02-06-17 05:07 AM
    Definitely a BlackBerry Mercury device over any MSFT device.
    I'm still curious about the specs of the Mercury. There still seems to be a lot of speculation about the hardware and camera etc.
    I hope BlackBerry and TCL advertise the Mercury and DTEK50 and DTEK60 devices ow that they have an assortment of choices.
    02-06-17 07:07 AM
    I'm glad they didn't waste $5 million on a superbowl advertisement though!
    $5 million can buy a lot of 30 second commercials outside of the superbowl time slots. It would likely resonate better with customers too.
    02-06-17 07:09 AM
    I've never been a fan of Windows phones, but the concept of having a full desktop in mobile form excites me. I remember when the Motorola Atrix came out, I really wanted it, because once you plugged it into the lapdock (dummy screen), it became a full early version of the chromebook. It was genius. Going forward, this is how I see our desktops changing. As phones become more powerful and batteries improve, I wouldn't be surprised if we just have a dummy screen or a screen that expands and acts as our desktop.
    Blend was my favourite feature on my Passport and Z30. It was just so fantastic. Having a virtual hub for my Priv would be amazing.
    john_v likes this.
    02-06-17 07:41 AM
    I'm glad they didn't waste $5 million on a superbowl advertisement though!
    $5 million can buy a lot of 30 second commercials outside of the superbowl time slots. It would likely resonate better with customers too.
    That's IF TCL has any advertising plans..... With them saying their focus is on Enterprise, that might mean they will rely on some direct marketing and not mass marketing. I expect current and past BlackBerry EMM customers in BlackBerry's customer database, are going to be the focus of some targeted marketing.
    02-06-17 07:41 AM
    I'm sure it'll be awesome to have full windows on a phone, but if the interface is anything like the Windows Phones of the past, then it's a huge no thanks for me... I had one (was WP8 at the time) and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough, it was an utterly terrible experience.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    02-06-17 08:00 AM
    I've been reading about and watching youtube videos about the Microsoft Surface phone. It sounds like both will be launched at about the same time. There are only rumors as of now about how much each will cost, but assuming both will be approximately the same price, which one would you prefer?
    Crackberry Forum: Mercury Wins.

Personally, i would say get the Mercury. It's shaping up to be a superb device. Its got a qwerty keyboard so its already won my vote. Too many 'boring' slabs out there. Need some diversity in the smartphone market. I would advise holding one in store if possible. Makes the decision far easier when in person. I think the Microsoft Surface phone is only coming late 2017 or early 2018. Where did you hear about it coming in the next couple weeks?
    02-06-17 08:30 AM
    The Surface phone has been rumored for years, odds of it coming out this year are bleak. Also, as someone who was invested in the Windows Mobile ecosystem, let me tell you that Microsoft is more ruthless than Blackberry when it comes to dropping support on a dime. Or making promises that will never come to fruition. I won't ever go back to Windows mobile OR BB10 for that matter. Yes, there's a lot of cool stuff that they can make a Windows 10 phone do but ultimately, most of it is a gimmick you won't ever use. They are usually ahead of their time but then they fall behind in really rudimentary stuff that will infuriate you, especially if you come from a productivity-geared OS like BB10.

The Mercury sounds promising on paper according to the rumored specs so far. Just check reviews on the Moto Z Play, it should give you a general idea of what to expect. Moto Z Play is likely one of the best phones coming out of 2016, extremely well rounded/a sleeper hit. Although don't get too excited because the LG G4/Priv seemed very close on paper, with the Priv having an edge, and yet after owning both devices I can tell you without a shred of a doubt that the G4 performs better than the Priv (I mean... before it inevitably bootloops ).

Also qwerty keyboard ftw obviously, no contest really
    02-06-17 09:26 AM
    I am for a physical keyboard if it's function replicate 80-90% of VKB and has a trackball or a replacement of trackball with at least The Calassic's keyboard or better. Otherwise, all of my options will be open for any new idea regarding new smartphones.
    02-06-17 09:33 AM
57 123