You're stuck on thinking they are a hardware company. The moment BB10 flopped and the company went up for sale in the late summer of 2013, BlackBerry ceased to be a devices company. Chen was hired by the board to change the focus to software after no buyers were found.
    I would argue that historically BlackBerry has always been a software and services company. The reality is that they had to create a device to deliver their services.

Posted via CB10
    Plazmic Flame and BB-JAM215 like this.
    10-21-16 12:43 PM
    You're stuck on thinking they are a hardware company. The moment BB10 flopped and the company went up for sale in the late summer of 2013, BlackBerry ceased to be a devices company. Chen was hired by the board to change the focus to software after no buyers were found.
    Who's stuck again? Looks like you are taking up a new hobby in re-writing history. They are still selling phones and releasing new ones. Re-branded or not...BlackBerry is clearly, obviously, definitely still in the device business. I can't believe how people lap up (and henceforth profess) the corporate doublespeak and yet continue to miss what is blatantly obvious. Lol.
    Last edited by kputock; 10-21-16 at 04:35 PM.
    Karan Riar likes this.
    10-21-16 01:49 PM
    Who's stuck again? Looks like you are taking up a new hobby in re-writing history. They are still selling phones and releasing new ones. Re-branded or not...BlackBerry is clearly, obviously, definitely still in the device business. I can't believe how people lap (and henceforth profess) the corporate doublespeak and yet continue to miss what is blatantly obvious. Lol.
    So when BlackBerry talk about their "software pivot", what do you think that means?

What do you think Chen was announcing at the last quarterly, and why was it the major topic he discussed on the call?

When you say "BB is clearly, obviously, definitely still in the device business", I'm trying to understand what you mean by that and what you think has now changed?
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-21-16 01:56 PM
    So when BlackBerry talk about their "software pivot", what do you think that means?

What do you think Chen was announcing at the last quarterly, and why was it the major topic he discussed on the call?

When you say "BB is clearly, obviously, definitely still in the device business", I'm trying to understand what you mean by that and what you think has now changed?
    Wow, I don't know what to say about your comments...wilful blindness? They have devices for sale, they have new ones on the way. How much more obvious could it possibly be?
    10-21-16 04:46 PM
    Wow, I don't know what to say about your comments...wilful blindness? They have devices for sale, they have new ones on the way. How much more obvious could it possibly be?
    They dragged devices along for a few years while they built up their software portfolio.

Their current device business consists of emptying existing channels, and moving to a licencing model.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-21-16 05:16 PM
    They dragged devices along for a few years while they built up their software portfolio.

Their current device business consists of emptying existing channels, and moving to a licencing model.
    If you keep this up and you are going to have yourself believing your DTEK50 is actually just software too...

I'm not a big fan of conspiracies, fallacies, or spin. If BlackBerry continues to sell devices...and they clearly are...than they are in still in the device business.

Plain and simple.
    10-21-16 09:21 PM
    If you keep this up and you are going to have yourself believing your DTEK50 is actually just software too...

I'm not a big fan of conspiracies, fallacies, or spin. If BlackBerry continues to sell devices...and they clearly are...than they are in still in the device business.

Plain and simple.
    None of this refutes my post.
    10-21-16 10:18 PM
    If BlackBerry continues to sell devices...and they clearly are...than they are in still in the device business.
    You're splitting that hair mighty thin.

Are T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint also in the device business? They sell devices both online and in stores. Many even have their names on them.
    10-22-16 09:10 AM
    Dumb question; what does DOA stand for?

Posted via CB10
    10-22-16 09:43 AM
    You're splitting that hair mighty thin.

Are T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint also in the device business? They sell devices both online and in stores. Many even have their names on them.
    Good point. A BlackBerry with an AT&T logo on it is not a BlackBerry. Smh
    10-22-16 10:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    Dead On Arrival.
    10-22-16 10:28 AM
    None of this refutes my post.
    You propose Chen was already winding down the device business...even with BB10. False. The best BB10 devices were released under Chen's watch. A lot of improvements were made to BB10. This was no accident. The problem was they continued to not sell well enough, the company lost more money, and adjustments and further cuts needed to be made as a result.

With BlackBerry Android...same issue. Focus was on bringing an Android device to market quickly to stem the bleeding. Android software was not ready, carriers did not fully support it. Again, BlackBerry lost money and had to adjust their device strategy.

Most recently...an end to internal device development is announced, switch to re-branding model. BlackBerry devices still for sale. New models forthcoming.

The strategy has always been about two things: first hardware, and secondly getting the company's financials in good enough shape for whatever comes next. The so-called "software pivot" is nothing more than a fall-back. Post devices (including legacy BB7) they will be nothing more than a break-even company with less than half the current revenue, a billion dollar cash pile, and a billion dollar debt. It's no wonder Chen sees "potential" in licensing deals. What other choices is he left with to make money, if he can't figure out a way to sell more devices? A fire sale on patents? Its sure not going to be software...not without some extremely creative accounting. Lol.
    10-22-16 10:40 AM
    You propose Chen was already winding down the device business...even with BB10. False.
    I'm just telling you what the board already decided in 2013 before hiring Chen.

Keep poking at devices with minimal marketing and expenditures while software ramps up. This was necessary to keep the wheels turning and to keep a toe in the enterprise space.

BB10 OS development was essentially over in the Spring of 2014 when the 10.3.X beta was released.

BlackBerry Android was a last ditch attempt to stay in the periphery of the hardware game at a much lower cost. The intent was to have a device to offer as part of its end to end EMM portfolio. It was never central to their plans however.
    Last edited by conite; 10-22-16 at 11:43 AM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-22-16 11:25 AM
    What conite is saying is -
    After bb10 flop & no buyers, blackberry has been in a transitioning phase to being a s/w company .
    That is wot I understand .
    10-22-16 11:45 AM
    What conite is saying is -
    After bb10 flop & no buyers, blackberry has been in a transitioning phase to being a s/w company .
    That is wot I understand .
    That is correct. Although Blackberry sells devices, they only do it peripherally. They are in fact a software company.
    10-22-16 12:08 PM
    I'm just telling you what the board already decided in 2013 before hiring Chen.

Keep poking at devices with minimal marketing and expenditures while software ramps up. This was necessary to keep the wheels turning and to keep a toe in the enterprise space.

BB10 OS development was essentially over in the Spring of 2014 when the 10.3.X beta was released.

BlackBerry Android was a last ditch attempt to stay in the periphery of the hardware game at a much lower cost. The intent was to have a device to offer as part of its end to end EMM portfolio. It was never central to their plans however.
    That sounds great as a tow-the-line corporate spin of history. Truth is, BlackBerry HAS been trying to make hardware successful, and still is. It was not a peripheral effort at all. The fact that to date it hasn't worked is the only reason your post-rationalized version of history can (in hindsight) seem like it was the "real" plan. Had sales of BB10 devices or even PRIV taken off, the narrative would have been much different. Re-branding seems to be the only option to keep hardware somewhat viable after the failure of BB10 software and tepid reception of BlackBerry Android software. If BlackBerry *software* can finally get it right...and it seems that may be starting to happen...the goal of making devices successful again, which obviously continues to be one of the main pillars of Chen's recovery strategy...may actually stand a chance of succeeding.
    10-22-16 06:13 PM
    If BlackBerry *software* can finally get it right...and it seems that may be starting to happen...the goal of making devices successful again, which obviously continues to be one of the main pillars of Chen's recovery strategy...may actually stand a chance of succeeding.
    Are you privy to some inside info the rest of us aren't? Honest question. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know what leads you to believe this.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-16 07:27 PM
    ..the goal of making devices successful again, which obviously continues to be one of the main pillars of Chen's recovery strategy...
    This flies in the face of everything that has happened and everything that BlackBerry has said over the last couple of years.

Going forward, licencing is the complete opposite of a device business.
    10-22-16 07:32 PM
    This flies in the face of everything that has happened and everything that BlackBerry has said over the last couple of years.

Going forward, licencing is the complete opposite of a device business.
    Beg to differ. Again, your 'historical' account continues to confuse intentions with results.

As for "going forward"...licensing is not the only proposal being put forth at the moment, it is yet another branch of what you call Chen's 'peripheral' device strategy. We shall see.
    10-22-16 08:49 PM
    Are you privy to some inside info the rest of us aren't? Honest question. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know what leads you to believe this.

Posted via CB10
    Let's just say that "conventional wisdom" is not always completely accurate...or correct.
    10-22-16 09:26 PM
    This thread is doa
    DaDaDogg, cgk and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    10-22-16 11:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Dead or Alive. It is also name of movie.

Posted by Passport Silver Editon
    10-30-16 09:59 PM
    Dead or Alive. It is also name of movie.

Posted by Passport Silver Editon
    No. It means Dead On Arrival.
    10-30-16 10:21 PM
    Hey, Fro!
    That cracks my up, too!
    10-31-16 08:45 PM
49 12