We love bb10, but a bb10 mercury will fail just like the rest of the phones did.
    01-15-17 04:07 PM
    We love bb10, but a bb10 mercury will fail just like the rest of the phones did.
    Those who refuse to let go of BB10 will be stuck with all its limitations and almost all of those who get the Mercury will be glad they did.
    01-15-17 05:56 PM
    I have 3 bb10 phones I rotate through. I love the os but am missing out on pinterest, snapchat and various other apps. I've been holding out for this long. I'll continie to hold out if the mercury doesn't meet my standards.
    01-15-17 06:08 PM
    Those who refuse to let go of BB10 will be stuck with all its limitations and almost all of those who get the Mercury will be glad they did.
    Just curious, but besides no apps, what other limitations are there? I'm drawing a blank... I use both regularly, and that's pretty much all that I've noticed BB10 lacks. But maybe there are other things I'm not thinking of.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    bigjman likes this.
    01-15-17 09:01 PM
    Just curious, but besides no apps, what other limitations are there?
    Well, what isn't an app, really?

The BB10 file manager is an app. And it's not really a good one. No select all, no ftp or webdav support, no OneDrive, GoogleDrive, Mega, and more.

The BB10 browser is woefully dated and slow.

No widgets, or home screen customizations.

A voice assistant that is only so-so.

I could go on.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-15-17 09:17 PM

The BB10 file manager is an app. And it's not really a good one. No select all, no ftp or webdav support, no OneDrive, GoogleDrive, Mega, and more.

The BB10 browser is woefully dated and slow.

No widgets, or home screen customizations.

A voice assistant that is only so-so.

I could go on.
    Ah ok, no wonder I didn't think of them. I never use voice anything, talking to an inanimate object and hoping it heard me right and announcing to the world around me what I want to do is just something I don't care for.

The browser is definitely starting to show its age. Hopefully Mozilla runs well on the Mercury, because I don't use Chrome ever...

Widgets, eh, I actually really like the BB10 homescreen with the active tiles. There are some neat things to do with widgets, but having quick access to recent apps without needing to press anything first is better for me, also why I didn't think of that.

Please go on though, I need to know all of what I'm getting myself into if I have to switch to the Mercury as a daily driver. The Android I use now is only for work and honestly I can't put it away quick enough the millisecond my work is done so I can get back to using the Classic, lol.

bigjman likes this.
    01-15-17 09:25 PM
    @slagman5, Google Now voice assistant is so good now, I've become obsessed with it. Great in the car for hands free. It opens apps, sends messages, toggles various settings, etc. I can talk with an intentional accent, and it still understands me perfectly!

The active frame screen on BlackBerry Android can be made to look identical to BB10. Instead of a swipe, you simply touch the square - arguably a bit faster.

Widgets are fantastic as you can set your home screen up to show the weather, control your music, display news feeds, etc.

The biggest thing I prefer about Android is the seamless ability to move and share data between apps. It is much, much more integrated and thorough than BB10.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-15-17 09:47 PM
    Definitely better integration on Android, which was a pleasant surprise. Access to open or recently opened apps is faster. BB10 offer split screen? BB10 allow double tap swapping between two apps?

Firefox works perfectly, and switching between the phone and PC absolute perfection.

BB10 camera vs Android? I took great pics on BB10, with a lot of effort, but nothing near the quality regardless of lighting on this.

Between conite and I, we could go on all night. I love BB10, but beyond notifications, I can't think of a thing it has continued to be superior at.
    01-15-17 10:21 PM
    I recently switched on my z30 which I handed over to my dad and... it's outdated guys.

It's dead and hopeless.

I can do things on android quicker now than on bb10. Keyboard shortcuts, flick widgets , etc.

Bb10 had lots of potential. But it died! It's dead ! It's been shot 1000 times , in the head , with a bazooka , containing uranium . Dead , RIP.

So .. No mercury with bb10.
    01-16-17 01:26 AM
    The shame is that RIM at the time didn't have the vision to see what Android was going to become. The acquisition of QNX is going to pay off in spades in the automotive arena, but BB10 just didn't make it in time to be the next greatest thing. BlackBerry would be a very different company today. I don't blame Chen or Thorstein, the blame falls squarely on Lazaridis and Balsille. The ship was sinking and they left on the first lifeboat.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-17 06:48 AM
    Those who choose to stick with their BB10 devices will not be "stuck" with anything. They will be using devices that suit their needs. Not everyone has to have apps in order to be productive and further to that, not everyone needs to be productive. Some people are more than happy with a device that allows them to stay connected via email, text and telephone to their friends and family.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    bigjman, BigBadWulf and dmlis like this.
    01-16-17 07:05 AM
    "All the limitation"? Relax. Outside of a few odd apps, there's nothing limited about bb10. In fact, as an os it's a whole lot better than android. This is coming from someone that has a Priv and enjoys using it. But all this " bb10 is dead, give it up" I see in every thread is too much. If you moved on and love android, that's fine. Good for you and the others that toot that horn. But let us that still prefer the os enjoy it as is. Now to the people asking or wondering about new bb10 hardware, I'll admit on that front bb10 is dead. But as long as I can stick my Sim in, turn one of my bb10 devices on, and it does everything I need it to do, it can never be dead.
    dmlis likes this.
    01-16-17 07:20 AM
    Having used Android for four years prior to moving to BB10 for work reasons, I was concerned about the limitations of BB10. Interestingly, moving to a Z30 eliminated my need to know where a power source was to recharge. Battery life is my number one requirement, and while I see it as inevitable, my current Passport is meeting my requirements.

I do not need Snapchat and WhatsApp has a single contact. Similarly, BBM has a handful of contacts. I would like some more speed and always want more battery life, but I would like to know what you consider limitations.

I want a screen that I can read in direct sun light. I want a device that makes me feel as productive as I was with a Newton MessagePad 2000 from the '90s. The Samsung Note devices looked like they might meet that requirement, but the OS and software didn't match the level of integration the Newton devices had.

One person's limitation may not be another person's requirement. Had BlackBerry been able to work an agreement with Google for BB10 with Google Play Services, the transition to Android would have been smoother. Unfortunately, BlackBerry really needed to provide a launcher experience that feels like BB10 to entice the holdouts.

Posted via CB10
    Akis Tsirogiannis and dmlis like this.
    01-16-17 07:21 AM
    Definitely better integration on Android, which was a pleasant surprise. Access to open or recently opened apps is faster. BB10 offer split screen? BB10 allow double tap swapping between two apps?

Firefox works perfectly, and switching between the phone and PC absolute perfection.

BB10 camera vs Android? I took great pics on BB10, with a lot of effort, but nothing near the quality regardless of lighting on this.

Between conite and I, we could go on all night. I love BB10, but beyond notifications, I can't think of a thing it has continued to be superior at.
    That's all fine but I can also think of ways bb10 trumps android and I'm sure ios fans can think of ways ios better. When it comes to phones, I say what works for the individual is all that matters. If android works for a particular person, doesn't mean the next os is dead.
    01-16-17 07:28 AM
    I recently switched on my z30 which I handed over to my dad and... it's outdated guys.

It's dead and hopeless.

I can do things on android quicker now than on bb10. Keyboard shortcuts, flick widgets , etc.

Bb10 had lots of potential. But it died! It's dead ! It's been shot 1000 times , in the head , with a bazooka , containing uranium . Dead , RIP.

Exaggerate much?
    01-16-17 07:31 AM
    @slagman5, Google Now voice assistant is so good now, I've become obsessed with it. Great in the car for hands free. It opens apps, sends messages, toggles various settings, etc. I can talk with an intentional accent, and it still understands me perfectly!

The active frame screen on BlackBerry Android can be made to look identical to BB10. Instead of a swipe, you simply touch the square - arguably a bit faster.

Widgets are fantastic as you can set your home screen up to show the weather, control your music, display news feeds, etc.

The biggest thing I prefer about Android is the seamless ability to move and share data between apps. It is much, much more integrated and thorough than BB10.
    It can be 100% accurate, still will never use voice anything, for other reasons...

And controlling music with widgets will never replace controlling music using your volume keys which you can do without even taking your phone out of its holster or whatever.

01-16-17 07:32 AM
    That's all fine but I can also think of ways bb10 trumps android and I'm sure ios fans can think of ways ios better. When it comes to phones, I say what works for the individual is all that matters. If android works for a particular person, doesn't mean the next os is dead.
    If it still works well for your needs, it's not deadline for you. If you have found it lacking, and wonder if there will be updates that make it worth continuing to hang on, it's dead for you.
    01-16-17 08:11 AM

And controlling music with widgets will never replace controlling music using your volume keys which you can do without even taking your phone out of its holster or whatever.

That was just one example out of dozens.
    01-16-17 09:38 AM

so-so.
    Disagree. It's better than any android file manager I've used. And just for the record, it has integrated Onedrive.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-17 09:45 AM
    Disagree. It's better than any android file manager I've used. And just for the record, it has integrated Onedrive.

Posted via CB10
    You're right on OneDrive.

Unfortunately my file manager needs are far beyond what BB10 can deliver.

Solid Explorer can hook up to more than 15 different Cloud sources, offers drag-and-drop, has split screens, can lock Cloud sources by password , has countless themes, and much more.
    01-16-17 09:49 AM
    Those who choose to stick with their BB10 devices will not be "stuck" with anything. They will be using devices that suit their needs. Not everyone has to have apps in order to be productive and further to that, not everyone needs to be productive. Some people are more than happy with a device that allows them to stay connected via email, text and telephone to their friends and family.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    BB10 - the worlds best "feature phone" in a smart phone world.
    01-16-17 10:21 AM
    BB10 - the worlds best "feature phone" in a smart phone world.
    Perhaps. But you can't discount the fact that they have the RIGHT features for some.
    bigjman likes this.
    01-16-17 10:23 AM

Split screen would be nice. The camera I know has some to do with the software, but also a lot to do with the hardware, so it's like of like 50/50 the fault of the crappy cameras BB puts and the software...

Looking forward to the apps like the better browsers, but still not looking forward to the behaviors of the core functions like notifications and how Android handles media control. I hate that it's basically touchscreen or nothing. Wonder why they never make it so you can use the volume keys to skip and repeat songs. Seems like such a simple thing. And who thought it was a good idea to broadcast your notifications through a connected BT speaker??

01-16-17 12:03 PM

It's dead and hopeless.

Someone is a bit melodramatic...

01-16-17 12:04 PM
    Having used Android for four years prior to moving to BB10 for work reasons, I was concerned about the limitations of BB10. Interestingly, moving to a Z30 eliminated my need to know where a power source was to recharge. Battery life is my number one requirement, and while I see it as inevitable, my current Passport is meeting my requirements.

I do not need Snapchat and WhatsApp has a single contact. Similarly, BBM has a handful of contacts. I would like some more speed and always want more battery life, but I would like to know what you consider limitations.

I want a screen that I can read in direct sun light. I want a device that makes me feel as productive as I was with a Newton MessagePad 2000 from the '90s. The Samsung Note devices looked like they might meet that requirement, but the OS and software didn't match the level of integration the Newton devices had.

One person's limitation may not be another person's requirement. Had BlackBerry been able to work an agreement with Google for BB10 with Google Play Services, the transition to Android would have been smoother. Unfortunately, BlackBerry really needed to provide a launcher experience that feels like BB10 to entice the holdouts.

Posted via CB10
    Well said you and bigjim. BB10 still does everything I need as well, but the slowness of the crappy specs and the sub-par camera will push me to switch eventually, so glad there will be a pkb device for me to switch to.

01-16-17 12:07 PM
285 12345 ...