Well, this is a bit off-topic, but I guess blackberry would ultimately use just the free part of android & make their own mobile services and productivity S/W, which addresses security & other issues, like yours. I am just assuming that it is possible, I have no idea regarding the legal issues.
    And then again, we have the European Commission game.
    You would guess wrong.... Full Google Android is how you "officially" get Google Play, and without Google Play you would not have very much. They would be back where they were in the BB10 days, with user relying on HACK to gain access to the apps they need. The European Commission might force Google to change to practices and pay some fines.... it's not going to force Google to let everyone have access to Google Play.

Unless sales really improve, it's more likely that BlackBerry pulls back from Android development. They might keep their productivity suite of apps. Ultimately it's a matter of revenues and profits vs the cost of doing these things. We can already see they are having difficulty keeping up with the security updates, and the demo of the "Mercury" made it clear they aren't close with Android 7. If sales of hardware improve with TCL, and the other Partners that will be releasing hardware... they will have the money to keep doing these things, if they don't........
    01-05-17 08:57 AM
    Is it me or does the phone look a tad bit on the small side?
    01-05-17 09:18 AM
    Is it me or does the phone look a tad bit on the small side?
    Looks like the Classic's width, but the length of approximately the DTEK60.

Attachment 415378
    01-05-17 09:19 AM
    Button Mapper working for you? There's a bug when I have it enabled, it changes my ringer if I'm changing my media volume. Author said he can't reproduce it and kept disappearing.
    What device and what buttons have you customized?
    01-05-17 09:35 AM
    What device and what buttons have you customized?
    Priv, Volume Up Hold to forward track, Volume Down Hold to previous track.

I usually use my device at work with Vibrate only, but when you change the volume while music is playing, it takes the ringer in and out of silent/vibrate/ring. Supposedly when music is playing the volume buttons only change the media volume.

I have it disabled right now because of this.
    IdBeats likes this.
    01-05-17 11:50 AM
    You would guess wrong.... Full Google Android is how you "officially" get Google Play, and without Google Play you would not have very much. They would be back where they were in the BB10 days, with user relying on HACK to gain access to the apps they need. The European Commission might force Google to change to practices and pay some fines.... it's not going to force Google to let everyone have access to Google Play.

Unless sales really improve, it's more likely that BlackBerry pulls back from Android development. They might keep their productivity suite of apps. Ultimately it's a matter of revenues and profits vs the cost of doing these things. We can already see they are having difficulty keeping up with the security updates, and the demo of the "Mercury" made it clear they aren't close with Android 7. If sales of hardware improve with TCL, and the other Partners that will be releasing hardware... they will have the money to keep doing these things, if they don't........
    In that case, slagman5 would have to rely on the apps available to do his thing when he switches to Android.
    On the other hand, you have painted a very bleak image of Blackberry Android. But you do have the updates delay to support your point. I wish that the sales improve & better days follow.
    Let's try celebrate the Mercury in this thread, for whatever it is....
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-05-17 02:37 PM
    In that case, slagman5 would have to rely on the apps available to do his thing when he switches to Android.
    On the other hand, you have painted a very bleak image of Blackberry Android. But you do have the updates delay to support your point. I wish that the sales improve & better days follow.
    Let's try celebrate the Mercury in this thread, for whatever it is....
    I am already getting myself mentally prepared to spend a good few hours just looking for apps to change the native behavior of Android, lol. :-D

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    anon(4243545) likes this.
    01-05-17 05:34 PM

I usually use my device at work with Vibrate only, but when you change the volume while music is playing, it takes the ringer in and out of silent/vibrate/ring. Supposedly when music is playing the volume buttons only change the media volume.

I'm going to try it tonight I think and let you know what my result ends up being.
    01-05-17 10:48 PM

I tested on my Priv and it does the same. I disabled the default action on one press and I can now leverage the volume down button for "last app"
    01-07-17 01:03 AM
    Can someone with a Priv try something for me? I know that Android has a dvorak keyboard. I'm just wondering if it carries over to the PKB. Can someone set their phone as dvorak and see if it works on the PKB?
    01-07-17 08:10 AM
    I tested on my Priv and it does the same. I disabled the default action on one press and I can now leverage the volume down button for "last app"
    Yeah so it's a bug with it. There's no way it should be changing ringer volume when music is playing. I think the way it's intercepting the buttons via the Accessibility service is conflicting with something BlackBerry changed.
    01-07-17 08:12 AM
    Yeah so it's a bug with it. There's no way it should be changing ringer volume when music is playing. I think the way it's intercepting the buttons via the Accessibility service is conflicting with something BlackBerry changed.
    It's changing ringer volume no matter what. I think that the issue is not with how BlackBerry implemented it's version of Android though. The problem is with the app. On my S7 Edge for instance I have the last app action mapped to double tapping the recent apps button. If you pay attention though, you will notice that the button mapper action acts like an interrupt to the normal flow. In other words, when I double tap the recent apps, the UI starts changing to go to recent apps, but is then interrupted with a different behaviour. This also causes bugged behaviour because every so often the double tap to recent app just stops working and no matter what always goes to the recent apps instead. Likewise, if you map an action to the back button, the back action executes first, then the mapped action takes place. The app is not preempting the button. It executes after it is notified by the accessibility service, which is already too late. I'm betting the behaviour you're seeing would happen in my S7 Edge as well.

None of this is probably an issue on rooted devices because the app can likely attach itself to the underlying listeners and can truly preempt an action.
    01-07-17 09:51 AM
    It's changing ringer volume no matter what. I think that the issue is not with how BlackBerry implemented it's version of Android though. The problem is with the app. On my S7 Edge for instance I have the last app action mapped to double tapping the recent apps button. If you pay attention though, you will notice that the button mapper action acts like an interrupt to the normal flow. In other words, when I double tap the recent apps, the UI starts changing to go to recent apps, but is then interrupted with a different behaviour. This also causes bugged behaviour because every so often the double tap to recent app just stops working and no matter what always goes to the recent apps instead. Likewise, if you map an action to the back button, the back action executes first, then the mapped action takes place. The app is not preempting the button. It executes after it is notified by the accessibility service, which is already too late. I'm betting the behaviour you're seeing would happen in my S7 Edge as well.

None of this is probably an issue on rooted devices because the app can likely attach itself to the underlying listeners and can truly preempt an action.
    Strange, because the author says he couldn't reproduce it. Maybe like you said he has a rooted device.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...3361340/page27

I guess he's not listening because I'm not paying for it...
    01-07-17 10:02 AM
    Strange, because the author says he couldn't reproduce it. Maybe like you said he has a rooted device.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...3361340/page27

I guess he's not listening because I'm not paying for it...
    I just confirmed. It is the exact same behaviour on the S7 Edge. It has to be exactly what I'm saying above. Accessibility service interrupts the action too late.
    01-07-17 11:19 AM
    I guess this whole "you can have an app to do everything a BB10 can do" argument is not quite accurate...

01-07-17 03:16 PM
    SG? Good good!

Yeah I'm from Singapore. I once gave up on the Priv but I think I can go with the Mercury this time!
    but I wonder how long will it take to come, because Dtek60 only reached local stores here recently and it was originally released in October lol
    01-15-17 09:07 PM
    I am already getting myself mentally prepared to spend a good few hours just looking for apps to change the native behavior of Android, lol. :-D

The funny part is that, at least for me, Android's home screen with its big clock and the separate menu for the apps is much more similar to OS 5 (that is, classic BlackBerry design) than OS 10: it feels more "legacy BlackBerry", especially with an hardware keyboard below the screen.
    01-17-17 10:07 AM
    For what it's with worth and I'm trying to find the link, I read to expect a release shortly after MWC and then another similar model later in the year with lower specs?
    01-17-17 08:39 PM
    Release in March was confirmed in a written Interview with a TCL executive.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-17 12:47 AM
    The funny part is that, at least for me, Android's home screen with its big clock and the separate menu for the apps is much more similar to OS 5 (that is, classic BlackBerry design) than OS 10: it feels more "legacy BlackBerry", especially with an hardware keyboard below the screen.
    Yah, but I personally would make that a bit smaller, lol. The huge clock is just a bit on the tacky side for me :-P

01-18-17 06:46 AM
    Release in March was confirmed in a written Interview with a TCL executive.

Posted via CB10
    MWC = Feb 27 - March 2
    With actual device being shown off to public with full specs Feb 25 per recent articles, I'd speculate pre-orders starting as early as March 2nd to be very likely.
    01-25-17 05:42 AM
    Yah, but I personally would make that a bit smaller, lol. The huge clock is just a bit on the tacky side for me :-P

The clock is actually a widget so u can reduce the size or remove from the home screen even.

That's the beauty of android.
    02-11-17 07:14 AM
    The clock is actually a widget so u can reduce the size or remove from the home screen even.

That's the beauty of android.
    I don't mind it that much, if I can resize it, great, if not, oh well. :-)

02-11-17 03:10 PM
    I don't mind it that much, if I can resize it, great, if not, oh well. :-)

You can resize it. Also if you don't like it you can remove it completely and download a different one of use no clock if you prefer. That's the beauty of Android. You make the device yours any way you want.
    02-12-17 04:39 AM
    To make this a succes they need a good price and it could be booming with the right ads playing on emotion.

You do some calls and using mostly social media to send a message than the Mercury is all you need to send the right message.

Show some hightlight and end with

BlackBerry Mercury secure Android smartphones are not only secured but also protecting your privacy.

To get more privacy use.

BlackBerry messenger to give you privacy what you texting, sending or just a call in privacy.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-17 05:52 AM
100 ... 234