There's been a bit of discussion about whether or not BlackBerry should bring their own Browser to Android. Most people so far have said it's a waste of time. There are already a wealth of choices on the Google Play Store that do everything you could possibly need - Chrome, Firefox, Dolphin, Opera, Yandex, Habit, etc...

For all touch BlackBerry Android devices, I completely agree. However, as a heavy browser user on my Passport, I'd definitely like to see BlackBerry bring a PKB enabled browser to their Android suite. None of the current browsers on Android support PKB (that I know of) so on a Priv, or Mercury, etc the PKB is useless for anything other than using it to scroll up and down. Not a big selling point.

I really enjoy the shortcuts on the BB10 browser - T for top of page, B for bottom, N for forward, P for back and SPACE for scroll a page (and so many more, but that's the main ones). All bottom aligned and within easy reach, and much much faster if you browse a lot, imho. Of course, it would be great if they also added Reader Mode, Adblocking and definitely keep the location bar bottom oriented.

If they're staying in the keyboard business, then this is a selling point for a PKB. Forget the "You're more accurate" pitch, most people don't care and other keyboard vendors are getting pretty good at predictions anyway, so it's moot, imho. Showing how much more pleasant it is to use a browser with PKB shortcuts would turn more heads.

TLDR; BlackBerry should release a Browser on Android with PKB shortcuts for faster and easier browsing and use it as a selling point for PKB devices.
    07-13-16 02:04 PM
    Although it sounds like a good idea, how will BlackBerry monetize it? And from what project would you divert its developers.

Priv STV100-1 AAF518 / Q5SQR100-1/10.3.3.746
    07-13-16 02:10 PM
    Although it sounds like a good idea, how will BlackBerry monetize it? And from what project would you divert its developers.

Good questions. I don't know how their Android development group works, or how many employees, etc. so I can't meaningfully answer that question. But for monetizing, I think of it more as advertising / marketing. I mean, how do they monetize Notes, or Calendar, etc with PKB shortcuts? In my mind, the whole package is a selling point for hardware - ie PKB devices. If they don't take full advantage of the PKB, then there's no point in manufacturing one. Presumably they're selling PKB phones to try and differentiate themselves in a saturated market so they should try and take full advantage of everything a PKB can do that an all touch device cannot....

Does that make sense? =)
    FF22 likes this.
    07-13-16 02:15 PM
    You make good points. But...

Would someone who craves a pkb, go to a slab phone if browser shortcuts aren't made available? Or conversely, how many extra people would be drawn away from slabs specifically because of the browser pkb shortcuts?

I can't really answer these questions. But one thing is for sure - reinventing the wheel on android would take a lot of resources, and they have a long way to go to provide something as rich as Chrome or Firefox.

07-13-16 02:21 PM
    You make good points. But...

Would someone who craves a pkb, go to a slab phone if browser shortcuts aren't made available? Or conversely, how many extra people would be drawn away from slabs specifically because of the browser pkb shortcuts?

I can't really answer these questions.

The first question: I dunno, but probably not, hah. BUT, adding pkb shortcuts to the browser and actually demonstrating how it can make browsing a pleasant experience is a potential selling point, imho. Listen, I was on iPhone (and then Android) for a long time, never used a PKB prior to the Passport. It was a very pleasant surprise for me to discover this functionality, and I'm sure I can't be the only one.

Using a PKB in place of a VKB purely for messaging (ie typing) is a no go argument for most people, pretty sure. You need to show them other benefits of the PKB - touch capacitive, shortcuts - to make them consider. And you need to implement the shortcuts on the bare bones smartphone experience - messaging, browsing, productivity (calendar, notes) and phone calls. Right now, it's just the browser that's missing, and I think it's a mistake.

How it translates into a growth in sales, no idea. I just know that if it's missing, it's a reason not to get a PKB device. I'm waiting on the Mercury as a potential Passport replacement, but if they don't have a PKB enabled browser, I'm thinking Note 7...

EDIT: I side loaded Cobalt's Priv Apps / BlackBerry Manager solution on my Nexus and Moto X devices. I love the swipe up on letters predictions. And Habit browser and Yandex offer a bottom oriented location bar (bonus - Habit allows long press on back and forward for top and bottom of page)... I'm halfway back to an all touch device already, so from my own POV it seems important that they release a browser with shortcuts.
    07-13-16 02:31 PM
    Maybe it would be easier to release a Chrome plugin that provides keyboard shortcuts?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and BB-JAM215 like this.
    07-13-16 02:40 PM
    I want a blackberry browser, file manager, gallery, music and video player.

Just like every other android oem does it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-13-16 02:42 PM
    Maybe it would be easier to release a Chrome plugin that provides keyboard shortcuts?
    If they can do that, sure. I'd miss the bottom oriented location bar (no idea why Chrome or Safari doesn't implement this, it's a no brainer imho). Bottom oriented location bar, reader mode plugins pre installed would be a bonus as well. And you'd have the added bonus of Chrome's built in Data Saver option, and cloud synced bookmarks.
    07-13-16 02:45 PM

No small task to ask BlackBerry to make a better browser than Chrome, a better file manager than Solid Explorer, a better music player than PowerAmp, a better video player than VLC, and a better image viewer than QuickPic.

BlackBerry had to make those apps for BB10 because they didn't exist. I think the BlackBerry developers should stick to true, unique value-add features.
    07-13-16 02:47 PM

I'd like the File Manager as well, though Solid Explorer and Asus Zen UI File Manager are pretty solid. If BlackBerry introduced a File Manager I'd like to see RFA built in through Link (with the added bonus of local backups). Don't get me started on Blend, hah.

Adding BB branded Gallery, Music and Video would be nice from a branding perspective, and oobe.
    07-13-16 02:47 PM
    No small task to ask BlackBerry to make a better browser than Chrome, a better file manager than Solid Explorer, a better music player than PowerAmp, a better video player than VLC, and a better image viewer than QuickPic.

BlackBerry had to make those apps for BB10 because they didn't exist. I think the BlackBerry developers should stick to true, unique value-add features.
    VLC is the king / queen of media players on every platform.
    07-13-16 02:51 PM

Having used the shortcuts, my marketing pitch would be something like "Stop Reaching". Maybe it'd be more effective than "Tools, Not Toys", or "Work Wide".
    07-13-16 02:53 PM
    Well, this is an interesting thought.. Recently I've been tired of the Ads on chrome in android, so I installed Adblock Browser, There is Opera too but for some mysterious reason I can't get it to work on my phone or my Laptop.. So anyway AdBlock Browser is kinda like Firefox with Ad block.. Now the interesting part is that it uses duckduckgo as a search engine, not almighty Google..

This got me thinking about a BlackBerry Browser in Android that relies on Duckduckgo as a search engine because they don't track you (According to them).. This would support BlackBerry's business model of Privacy and security, it would make sense for them to use that.. Also because a lot of people who are into BB10 kinda have conspiracy theories regarding Google, so you might want to give them something BlackBerry to browse with in case they go Android.. It would be great if they can develop a browser with Duck as a search engine, also customize it for PKB.. I never really thought about that so you brought a good point..

It can also focus heavily on more Privacy & security features. A lot of people are concerned about that when they browse the web.. Which is why you've lots of VPN programs & apps that work to change your IP and/or try to block certain tracking habits from websites. There is a market for people who don't want to be tracked, much more than a market for secure phones.. So their app might work for a lot of android users of other phones.

Since we use the search engine a lot.. Its important to be good.. Duckduckgo can be customized with themes.. it looks really good and has the same sections for news, web, products.. Overall I'm starting to like it more than Google.. I've Np with Google's tracking but I remember some fans here disliking it..

Money-wise, I've no idea if it will be good for them.. There are a lot of Browsers out there and being a company like BlackBerry they should be able to develop their own browser on Android.. So this was just an interesting thought I had.. Chrome might be the best, but I definitely don't like a lot of things about it recently, one of them is not being able to block Ads..

P.S. BlackBrowser is a good name :P
    07-13-16 07:03 PM
    Mmmmm. I'd really like a firefox extension that enabled keyboard shortcuts. That'd be sweet.
    anon(9721458) likes this.
    07-13-16 08:40 PM

I don't think they can directly monetize from it, but it will make buying a pkb Android device more appealing. Browsing with a pkb device with a browser that doesn't support shortcuts is incredibly annoying. The pkb will be taking up room for nothing.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-14-16 10:16 AM
    Having used the shortcuts, my marketing pitch would be something like "Stop Reaching". Maybe it'd be more effective than "Tools, Not Toys", or "Work Wide".
    I like that slogan. I love the toolbelt because it allows me to do things without having to reach to extreme edges of the screen. Reaching my thumb to the top of the screen is the worst...

07-14-16 10:19 AM

Money-wise, I've no idea if it will be good for them.. There are a lot of Browsers out there and being a company like BlackBerry they should be able to develop their own browser on Android.. So this was just an interesting thought I had.. Chrome might be the best, but I definitely don't like a lot of things about it recently, one of them is not being able to block Ads..

P.S. BlackBrowser is a good name :P
    Yeah, duckduckgo is a good search engine, I use it and startpage from time to time. Adblocking also speeds up loading time, and saves data so winwin all around. There should be an option for whitelisting sites for people you want to reward and/or sites that refuse to load with adblock in place.

There are some BlackBerry users who trust the name for privacy, so that's another argument in favour of them building their own browser. I'd settle for Chrome and Firefox plugins but I think it would be worth it for them to build one out as part of the entire package. Maybe they could add more privacy / security related options? Not sure what, but just a thought.
    07-14-16 03:02 PM
    I like that slogan. I love the toolbelt because it allows me to do things without having to reach to extreme edges of the screen. Reaching my thumb to the top of the screen is the worst...

Thanks. They could just film people stretching their hands on a regular browser or using two hands - haha - to drive the point home. Especially on the Priv and Rome with the more compact keyboards, a minimum of movement is required. If you want to advance a page at a time, hit SPACE and you're not touching the screen and accidentally clicking on sponsored ads... And for people who like to jump straight to the comments on certain stories, what could be easier than hitting B?
    07-14-16 03:05 PM
    Yeah, duckduckgo is a good search engine, I use it and startpage from time to time. Adblocking also speeds up loading time, and saves data so winwin all around. There should be an option for whitelisting sites for people you want to reward and/or sites that refuse to load with adblock in place.

There are some BlackBerry users who trust the name for privacy, so that's another argument in favour of them building their own browser. I'd settle for Chrome and Firefox plugins but I think it would be worth it for them to build one out as part of the entire package. Maybe they could add more privacy / security related options? Not sure what, but just a thought.
    Yes in Adblock browser you can white list websites and allow non-intrusive & friendly Ads.. No one hates all ads, but some of them make the web page look awful and laggy.. That's why we want to kill these ads

Exactly that's why I think having their own browser will be quite beneficial.. BlackBerry's name is linked to Privacy and Security.. Although I've no problems with Google but there seems to be always questions about tracking, Ads and so on.. In my opinion, I think most of the security threats come from Browsing/Downloading.. that's if you stay out of APKs and downloading outside of Playstore.. E-mails too.. There are a lot of things than can be done through a browser to make it more secure.. BlackBerry will have a lot of perks to add.. The App will be for everyone of course since its Android.. I'm not saying they should build it for Android BB devices exclusively.. That stuff doesn't work anymore.. Multi-platform is the answer.. So they build it for The Green BlackBerries and for everyone as an App out in the open..
    07-14-16 05:49 PM
    Yeah. Chen surely must be planning to offer the BlackBerry Experience suite on GPlay for any Android device at some point in the future. So adding more software to the package would sweeten the deal. But they'd have to add more in terms of privacy / security than is already available on standard browsers. I don't think the browser on its own would be terribly enticing though.
    07-14-16 07:14 PM
    Keep in mind that you can add an ad blocker on Android. Even if you have an unrooted device, it will work perfectly when using wifi.
    07-14-16 07:30 PM
    Keep in mind that you can add an ad blocker on Android. Even if you have an unrooted device, it will work perfectly when using wifi.
    Yeah, I know there's plugins and various browsers with adblocking built in. Just trying to think of other things they could add that would make it enticing as part of a suite. But honestly, I doubt there'd be much they could do to make it more appealing than other browsers already available.

Really, it comes down to pkb shortcuts and people who would trust a BlackBerry browser / prefer a built in stock option. A lot of other OEMs like Samsung offer a stock browser in addition to chrome so if it's not a huge drain on resources I think they should go for it. It just completes the basic smartphone package, imho.

EDIT: Whichever route they choose, I think it's essential they restore PKB shortcuts on the browser.
    07-14-16 07:37 PM
    Just wondering, do you know if it would be possible for a third party dev to easily build a plugin and/or add support for the PKB on Android? I'm not a programmer, just wondering if the APIs or whatever are available for third parties?

The Habit Browser is customisable and is the closest to functionality with the ability to go to Top / Bottom of a webpage, as well as scroll Page up / Page Down, and the location bar is bottom oriented. I was thinking of emailing the dev and asking if they'd consider adding that functionality. I'd suggest they even charge for the option.
    07-14-16 09:32 PM
    Just wondering, do you know if it would be possible for a third party dev to easily build a plugin and/or add support for the PKB on Android? I'm not a programmer, just wondering if the APIs or whatever are available for third parties?

The Habit Browser is customisable and is the closest to functionality with the ability to go to Top / Bottom of a webpage, as well as scroll Page up / Page Down, and the location bar is bottom oriented. I was thinking of emailing the dev and asking if they'd consider adding that functionality. I'd suggest they even charge for the option.
    Yes if I recall correctly BlackBerry open the keyboard api
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    07-14-16 09:47 PM
    Yes if I recall correctly BlackBerry open the keyboard api
    Thank you sir. Don't s'pose you have a link? I'll go to the BlackBerry Dev site and see if I can find it if you don't.

EDIT: This looks promising, in two parts: http://devblog.blackberry.com/2015/1...yboard-part-1/
    07-14-16 09:51 PM
72 123