Now that TCL has acquired the license to manufacture BlackBerry phones, does this mean that they can design and sell BlackBerry phones without BlackBerry input? Does BlackBerry have a say on deign? Do they split a profit? How does this work?
    01-17-17 02:14 PM
    Blackberry would still be handling the software I'd think
    01-17-17 02:23 PM
    "BlackBerry and TCL have now officially announced they have entered a long-term licensing agreement wherein BlackBerry will license its security software and service suite, as well as related brand assets to TCL Communication who will design, manufacture, sell and provide customer support for BlackBerry-branded mobile devices. Additionally, TCL will manage all sales and distribution and serve as a global distributor of new BlackBerry-branded mobile devices along with dedicated sales teams."

BlackBerry and TCL sign smartphone software and brand licensing deal | CrackBerry.com
    01-17-17 03:15 PM
    They really haven't given details on the licensing deal.

Would assume that BlackBerry provided some requirements that they have approval... to keep TCL from making $50 phones and sticking the BlackBerry name on them.

As for profits... I think it was stated it a licensing deal based on unit sales. Maybe BlackBerry get $20 per device, or maybe they get $.20 per device sold. Either way, if TCL is able to improve on what BlackBerry was doing... no one will make any money. So there is a big risk here, would not be surprised if BlackBerry doesn't get anything until TCL has sold a certain number of phones and is they themselves making a profit.

But again, no one really knows.
    01-17-17 03:23 PM
    I wonder who makes more profit out of this agreement.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-17 03:40 PM
    I wonder who makes more profit out of this agreement.

Posted via CB10
    I'm just hoping we don't have to go through Digital River anymore
    megafan2000 likes this.
    01-17-17 04:00 PM