Since Dtek 50 seems to be disappointing in sales do you think BlackBerry will make any more phones. Honestly I don't feel like Dtek 60 will change anything
    Mercury is getting more and more unlikely every second

Posted via CB10
    09-25-16 04:14 PM
    Why is Mercury getting more and more unlikely every second?
    raremage likes this.
    09-25-16 04:53 PM
    This ^

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-25-16 05:30 PM
    Because Motley Fool said so?

09-25-16 05:39 PM
    Because Motley Fool said so?

Device focus-emoticon_183.png
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    09-25-16 06:10 PM
    Hold your horses people, in few days we will know more. If BlackBerry releases dtek 60 then is has a great shot at scoring good sales this holiday season and the mercury will see the light of day.
    Motley fool is just writing articles left and right

Posted via the handsome BlackBerry PRIV
    09-25-16 06:35 PM
    Hold your horses people, in few days we will know more. If BlackBerry releases dtek 60 then is has a great shot at scoring good sales this holiday season and the mercury will see the light of day.
    Motley fool is just writing articles left and right

Posted via the handsome BlackBerry PRIV
    Lol i know. Was just being sarcastic.

09-25-16 07:27 PM
    I wasn't referring to the article as proof in any way. Economically thinking BlackBerry will only be in the handset business if it's profitable. Android seems to be the only possibility to achieve that. However both devices seem to fail. All I am saying is that BlackBerry won't try every single kind of device just to check on their profitability. If the DTEK60 isn't a success BlackBerry won't make any more phones. And as I know BlackBerry they won't offer it for anything less than 600 which will erase any chances of it being a success phone

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 03:03 PM
    I wasn't referring to the article as proof in any way. Economically thinking BlackBerry will only be in the handset business if it's profitable. Android seems to be the only possibility to achieve that. However both devices seem to fail. All I am saying is that BlackBerry won't try every single kind of device just to check on their profitability. If the DTEK60 isn't a success BlackBerry won't make any more phones. And as I know BlackBerry they won't offer it for anything less than 600 which will erase any chances of it being a success phone

Posted via CB10
    They will make a pkb for sure.

09-26-16 03:26 PM
    Now that they are re-branding instead of designing the phones themselves I've also wondered if the Android keyboard style phone would ever be released. What are they going to use as the shell for this? No other company is using the type of form factor this phone will allegedly have.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 03:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    Now that they are rebranding TCL devices (using their interchangeable parts), both profitability and the definition of success have to be reviewed.

The bar may have moved down considerably.
    09-26-16 04:01 PM
    ... Economically thinking BlackBerry will only be in the handset business if it's profitable. ...
    BlackBerry has always sold hardware as part of their strategy for selling software products. Now that software is their main focus, all they need to do is break even on hardware.
    09-26-16 04:46 PM
    Now that they are re-branding instead of designing the phones themselves I've also wondered if the Android keyboard style phone would ever be released. What are they going to use as the shell for this? No other company is using the type of form factor this phone will allegedly have.
    They could still use the DTEK50 or DTEK60 as the basis for a PKB phone. They just need to add a custom top shell with a keyboard (a modified Classic version?) and a shorter display.
    09-26-16 04:53 PM
    BlackBerry has always sold hardware as part of their strategy for selling software products. Now that software is their main focus, all they need to do is break even on hardware.
    Exactly. Before my time but wasn't the SAF (Software Activation Fee) the real money maker for BlackBerry back in the day and not the hardware? It makes sense that handsets were the primary focus at the time as they were the primary revenue driver.

NOW, mobile is a much smaller part of the overall equation, hence the reduced focus. But it's still part of their end to end strategy, so there's no reason to believe they're going to exit devices. Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?
    09-26-16 05:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    I could see them remaining in handsets at break even or a small loss if it feeds sales to other parts of the business.
    09-26-16 05:10 PM
    Exactly. Before my time but wasn't the SAF (Software Activation Fee) the real money maker for BlackBerry back in the day and not the hardware? It makes sense that handsets were the primary focus at the time as they were the primary revenue driver.
    There is still a significant number of BBOS phones connected to BIS accounts which still generate software revenue in some parts of the world. John Chen mentioned this decreasing software revenue in his talk today at the Empire Club.
    09-26-16 05:16 PM
    There is still a significant number of BBOS phones connected to BIS accounts which still generate software revenue in some parts of the world. John Chen mentioned this decreasing software revenue in his talk today at the Empire Club.
    Yeah, saw that. That's where he talked about how he can't control gravity, and it was going away? But again, that revenue is on old BBOS devices that were sold years ago and no longer contributing to the bottom line beyond software, no?
    09-26-16 05:33 PM
    Yeah, saw that. That's where he talked about how he can't control gravity, and it was going away? But again, that revenue is on old BBOS devices that were sold years ago and no longer contributing to the bottom line beyond software, no?
    The BlackBerry Bold 9900 was introduced in 2011, but during his first year as CEO of BlackBerry John Chen did one more production run of 9900s which were available from Shop BlackBerry beginning in June 2014.
    09-26-16 05:51 PM
    The BlackBerry Bold 9900 was introduced in 2011, but during his first year as CEO of BlackBerry John Chen did one more production run of 9900s which were available from Shop BlackBerry beginning in June 2014.
    Did he do it to make revenue off the devices or to continue making money from the software activation fees on the back end?
    09-26-16 06:24 PM
    Did he do it to make revenue off the devices or to continue making money from the software activation fees on the back end?
    Both I would imagine...

It's really crazy how much money BlackBerry was making at one time off of hardware and the service fees that generated. If BlackBerry had remained a power player.... they probably would have had the power to keep those service fees going.

Just too bad Mike and Jim were so shortsighted and insulated from the rest of the tech market....
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    09-27-16 08:34 AM