Dear TCL,

Now that you've obtained the license to build BlackBerry branded phones, I'd like to submit a render concept that I hope and pray you will consider building (with some modifications). I assume you're browsing the CrackBerry forums of course.

Below is a render concept that is close to my ideal and presumably others agree. Link: Este ser�a el nuevo BlackBerry Mercury gama alta* - Noticlaro | Colombia

As someone who was all iPhone for the longest time, I've only recently discovered the advantages of a PKB smart phone. Some may argue that PKB is dated, etc. but I think they're wrong. A properly spec'd PKB that is well built on every level - hardware and software - is a potential money maker if marketed properly to the right crowds.

Suggested mods to the render: make the top edges rounded like the bottom, and add a convenience key to the side. I assume the spacebar would function as a fingerprint reader and the PKB is touch capacitive (in addition to the thumbalina) also. That's it for me, but I'd be curious to hear other forum members' suggestions as well.

Because of the added craftmanship involved in building this phone, a premium price tag is required. This is easily a thousand dollar phone (or more). BUT, because I believe the potential audience for this phone is lawyers, entrepeneurs, small business owners and creatives, you shouldn't worry about charging a premium price. If BlackBerry continues to build out PKB support in their software this phone could do exceptionally well in a niche market, imho.

It combines the best of legacy BlackBerry with a modern, hardened OS. PLEASE consider making one. I'll be in line day one with a wad of cash to purchase several for myself and friends / family. Thanks for listening. Cheers, Reaney
    Ahhhh.......time for a on line petition.......
    12-26-16 01:21 PM
    Ahhhh.......time for a on line petition.......
    Not sure if you're joking, hah. Those don't work, and besides they come off as being pushy imho.
    12-26-16 03:10 PM
    personally like 99xx series of smily. not just the layout and look, but the tactile feel (no double typing and accuracy is better). IMHO. it just "worked".
    12-26-16 06:33 PM
    Dear TCL,

Now that you've obtained the license to build BlackBerry branded phones, I'd like to submit a render concept that I hope and pray you will consider building (with some modifications). I assume you're browsing the CrackBerry forums of course.

Below is a render concept that is close to my ideal and presumably others agree. Link: Este ser�a el nuevo BlackBerry Mercury gama alta* - Noticlaro | Colombia

As someone who was all iPhone for the longest time, I've only recently discovered the advantages of a PKB smart phone. Some may argue that PKB is dated, etc. but I think they're wrong. A properly spec'd PKB that is well built on every level - hardware and software - is a potential money maker if marketed properly to the right crowds.

Suggested mods to the render: make the top edges rounded like the bottom, and add a convenience key to the side. I assume the spacebar would function as a fingerprint reader and the PKB is touch capacitive (in addition to the thumbalina) also. That's it for me, but I'd be curious to hear other forum members' suggestions as well.

Because of the added craftmanship involved in building this phone, a premium price tag is required. This is easily a thousand dollar phone (or more). BUT, because I believe the potential audience for this phone is lawyers, entrepeneurs, small business owners and creatives, you shouldn't worry about charging a premium price. If BlackBerry continues to build out PKB support in their software this phone could do exceptionally well in a niche market, imho.

It combines the best of legacy BlackBerry with a modern, hardened OS. PLEASE consider making one. I'll be in line day one with a wad of cash to purchase several for myself and friends / family. Thanks for listening. Cheers, Reaney
    Should amend your letter and just say thank you for even considering to make any BlackBerry phones. Ask Palm fans how long they've been waiting for something from TCL....
    12-26-16 07:22 PM
    No need for curved keyboard or toolbelt. I would also like to see BlackBerry gain some market share by providing a quality PKB device at a entry to mid-level price. If the PRIV tells us anything it's the fact that the pricetag does matter.

Get the Mercury to market, price it right, release updates on time, release next slab device (or two), release next PKB device, rinse repeat. We need BlackBerry to be an everyday name again and not paired with "oh I thought they were out of business" when people mention them. Make it so anyone and everyone can buy, the amount of kids texting/social apping, when the PKB catches on again it will need to be affordable.
    12-26-16 07:57 PM
    Should amend your letter and just say thank you for even considering to make any BlackBerry phones. Ask Palm fans how long they've been waiting for something from TCL....
    Well... I assume they're doing it to try and make money, so no, lol. . I'm just trying to help them really... =)
    12-26-16 09:36 PM
    No need for curved keyboard or toolbelt. I would also like to see BlackBerry gain some market share by providing a quality PKB device at a entry to mid-level price. If the PRIV tells us anything it's the fact that the pricetag does matter.

Get the Mercury to market, price it right, release updates on time, release next slab device (or two), release next PKB device, rinse repeat. We need BlackBerry to be an everyday name again and not paired with "oh I thought they were out of business" when people mention them. Make it so anyone and everyone can buy, the amount of kids texting/social apping, when the PKB catches on again it will need to be affordable.
    Definitely release the Mercury first, it's probably ready to go.

As much as I love PKB, I don't see it catching on beyond a niche. That's why I believe making it premium in every way is worth a shot. All touch slabs are most likely going to be the bulk of any future sales. Jmho.
    12-26-16 09:39 PM
    DTEK 70 with dual sim? http://tecadvices.com/blackberry-dte...price-details/

Smoke on the water, a fire in the sky
    12-26-16 09:51 PM
    DTEK 70 with dual sim? BlackBerry DTEK70 US Price, Release Date, Specifications - Tec Advices

Smoke on the water, a fire in the sky
    5.7" 1080p display and "Adreno GPU"? Sign me up!
    ominaxe likes this.
    12-26-16 10:12 PM
    Definitely release the Mercury first, it's probably ready to go.

As much as I love PKB, I don't see it catching on beyond a niche. That's why I believe making it premium in every way is worth a shot. All touch slabs are most likely going to be the bulk of any future sales. Jmho.
    I think there is a bigger market for PKB devices but the masses have had zero choices as far as phones go. Whenever I show my phone (PRIV) to someone who is out of touch with the tech world they are in love with my PKB and often say, I miss my BlackBerry keyboard so much. That is often followed up by them stating they didn't know BlackBerry still made phones.

I will then show them the Android OS and all the apps I'm running and they are truly excited. If TCL does this right I think we will have a good portion of people rocking PKB BlackBerry again.
    anon(9353145) and Mirko935 like this.
    12-27-16 07:42 AM
    Whenever I show my phone (PRIV) to someone who is out of touch with the tech world they are in love with my PKB and often say, I miss my BlackBerry keyboard so much. That is often followed up by them stating they didn't know BlackBerry still made phones.
    Same here! (with my Passport)
    12-27-16 07:54 AM
    I think there is a bigger market for PKB devices but the masses have had zero choices as far as phones go. Whenever I show my phone (PRIV) to someone who is out of touch with the tech world they are in love with my PKB and often say, I miss my BlackBerry keyboard so much. That is often followed up by them stating they didn't know BlackBerry still made phones.

I will then show them the Android OS and all the apps I'm running and they are truly excited. If TCL does this right I think we will have a good portion of people rocking PKB BlackBerry again.
    Yeah, I've had similar experiences with both Passport and the Priv. The biggest selling points are having Android ie apps, touch capacitive keyboard, shortcuts and of course the nostalgia for qwerty.

But anecdotal demos aren't enough to sell it. Now that TCL 'is' BlackBerry maybe they can do a better job at getting it accepted by carriers and marketing the advantages of a PKB. I'm not getting my hopes up though, that way I won't be disappointed.

Working in media, I can pictures a few ways they could quickly and simply communicate the appeal. Maybe I'll start a thread or post my concepts here and others can weigh in with their thoughts.
    12-27-16 08:10 AM
    For the record, I think the render is beautiful with or without the curve in pkb. Much more elegant than the mercury renders we've seen out there
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    12-27-16 01:06 PM
    Working in media, I can pictures a few ways they could quickly and simply communicate the appeal. Maybe I'll start a thread or post my concepts here and others can weigh in with their thoughts.
    A marketing thread for the Mercury and or future devices from TCL wouldn't be a bad idea. I enjoy reading and participating in threads that call for feedback from this community.
    12-27-16 02:30 PM
    Not sure if you're joking, hah. Those don't work, and besides they come off as being pushy imho.
    Just kidding, you letter was very well written. Thought some humor would work.

Woof
    12-28-16 09:01 AM
    One other thought a duel OS phone would be great, ahhh to dream.
    12-28-16 09:03 AM
    A marketing thread for the Mercury and or future devices from TCL wouldn't be a bad idea. I enjoy reading and participating in threads that call for feedback from this community.
    Cool, I might put together a thread or maybe just post here. It's all in good fun, just an interesting armchair ceo thought experiment while we wait for CES, etc.
    12-28-16 09:25 AM
    Im currently using a google pixel xl as i couldnt wait for a new device. My Priv has just started malfunctioning so switching is imminent. So since using the google pixel, im not sure if the current leaked specs of the upcoming mercury will sway people like me that have switched already. The low specs just DOES not cut it for me.
    12-31-16 06:28 AM
    Im currently using a google pixel xl as i couldnt wait for a new device. My Priv has just started malfunctioning so switching is imminent. So since using the google pixel, im not sure if the current leaked specs of the upcoming mercury will sway people like me that have switched already. The low specs just DOES not cut it for me.
    Yeah, I agree with you in that respect, totally. The logic, probably, is that the PKB crowd mostly messages so higher specs aren't as important. But that's why I think they should build a premium version of the PKB with everything under the hood.

Look at the Microsoft Surface Studio desktop for example. A lot of my Mac friends are totally excited about a Windows computer for the first time ever.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...L2d63bi2quEG1A

Are you listening, TCL? =)
    12-31-16 06:46 AM
    The specs are not low. It's middle tiers specs. In fact, the S625 is overall better than the S808.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-17 11:04 AM

This is easily a thousand dollar phone (or more). BUT, because I believe the potential audience for this phone is lawyers [...] you shouldn't worry about charging a premium price.
    Right. Maybe in 2006, pre-recession. Definitely not today when clients readily contest charges.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    01-03-17 07:48 PM
71 123