Two mutually beneficial reasons: screen real estate maximization and BlackBerry toolbelt reminiscence.
    It makes the screen smaller and the device taller than necessary.

But I'm guessing it's because they are targeting classic users and there fore need a toolbelt equivalent
    kitmo likes this.
    01-06-17 05:31 PM
    I'd much rather prefer on screen buttons instead and get a little bigger screen But hey what do I know!
    01-06-17 05:45 PM
    I would suspect they are "on" like the capacitive toolbelt is always visible on BBOS devices.
    Two mutually beneficial reasons: [...] and BlackBerry toolbelt reminiscence.
    But I'm guessing it's because they are targeting classic users and there fore need a toolbelt equivalent
    Well, I would be dumbfounded by TCL if these permanent android touchscreen buttons would chiefly be there for reminiscing/nostalgic reasons. If that would be so, then at least make these android touchscreen buttons change depending on the app that is used. So, in that case for instance, when I'm in the phone app, that I will get the green call and red hang-up phone-icon back so that I can hang-up the phone quickly and madly when some of my associates pissed me off....ah, the good ol' days with physical toolbelt blackberries LOL.
    01-06-17 05:57 PM
    On Samsung phones/tablets with capacitive buttons, you can change the settings so that the backlights are always on, have a timer, or are always off.
    01-06-17 06:27 PM
    Well, I would be dumbfounded by TCL if these permanent android touchscreen buttons would chiefly be there for reminiscing/nostalgic reasons. If that would be so, then at least make these android touchscreen buttons change depending on the app that is used. So, in that case for instance, when I'm in the phone app, that I will get the green call and red hang-up phone-icon back so that I can hang-up the phone quickly and madly when some of my associates pissed me off....ah, the good ol' days with physical toolbelt blackberries LOL.
    If that bar is OLED context aware, it's possible. But that becomes Lenovo's adaptive toolbar from the X1, now more commonly known as MBP's Touch Bar.

Would've been a cool feature but likely too costly to implement.
    01-06-17 11:52 PM
    These buttons are required for Android and have functions that are not the same as the toolbelt. They are common to have in a fixed position as capacative buttons. Although they may seem reminiscent of the toolbelt they are not the toolbelt so stop pretending they can be.
    01-07-17 01:45 AM

Not at all, the screen was designed to be a 3/2 ratio, even without permanent navigation buttons it would not be taller.

With theses buttons, at least there is no virtual buttons taking space on the screen.

Posted via CB10
    Barbareren and SDTRMG like this.
    01-07-17 03:43 AM
    How about a little more Keyboard height, so the keyboard is at least more like the classic, and not cramped up rubbish like the Priv. Shame
    01-07-17 06:20 AM
    I'm annoyed the other way. Why not just use the toolbelt/trackpad set up? The trackpad makes using the keyboard and editing text so much easier than gestures.
    Yes! If they make a toolbelt row, a trackpad should be added. Otherwise, I agree with OP, get rid of those 'buttons' to reclaim wasted screen area.
    01-07-17 06:31 AM
    Yes! If they make a toolbelt row, a trackpad should be added. Otherwise, I agree with OP, get rid of those 'buttons' to reclaim wasted screen area.
    How would you close apps? Etc...
    01-07-17 07:59 AM
    they wont be lit all the time i am going to assume. when the device sleeps they will turn off
    I would think like other BB phone, the keyboard sleeps until the phone wakes. Then the keyboard is lit.
    01-07-17 08:10 AM
    These buttons are required for Android and have functions that are not the same as the toolbelt. They are common to have in a fixed position as capacative buttons. Although they may seem reminiscent of the toolbelt they are not the toolbelt so stop pretending they can be.
    Why don't you take it easy a bit. Was it not YOU who started this whole comparison with the tool belt? I just replied to your, kputock's and The Big Picture's comparison to that toolbelt and added that it would be nice if TCL decided that the icons could change depending on the app that is used. That was one of the things I liked when I had an iPhone. That's all.
    01-07-17 08:58 AM
    In some apps the Android navigation bar will be always visible by design, even when it is just an 'overlay' on the screen.

On a 16:9 screen having that overlay of the screen only takes up a small portion of the visible screen. So there it is not a big deal.

On a 4:3 screen, having an overlay on the visible screen will take up a lot more space relative to 16:9, and could really affect the already smaller application UI.

Having a separate permanent navigation bar on the Mercury, that will likely only 'light up' when it needs to, is simply a best practice for this type of phone design. It won't interfere with small app UI, and the only real downside is adding a bit of length to the device. And we can already see its height is comparable to current fullscreen devices.

And combined with the keyboard it is also a nice nod to toolbelt enthusiasts. No trackpad, but yeah what Android app even supports that kind of interface?

BlackBerry 10, CB10 signed ✓
    Last edited by MrGlenn; 01-07-17 at 09:45 AM.
    gallopiton, SDTRMG and MyriadeCoh like this.
    01-07-17 09:11 AM
    In some apps the Android navigation bar will be always visible by design, even when it is just an 'overlay' on the screen.

On a 16:9 screen having that overlay of the screen only takes up a small portion of the visible screen. So there it is not a big deal.

On a 4:3 screen, having an overlay on the visible screen will take up a lot more space relative to 16:9, and could really affect the already smaller application UI.

Having a separate permanent navigation bar on the Mercury, that will likely only 'light up' when it needs to, is simply a best practice for this type of phone design. It won't interfere with small app UI, and the only real downside is adding a bit of length to the device. And we can already see its height is comparable to current fullscreen devices.

And combined with the keyboard it is also a nice nod to toolbelt enthusiasts. No trackpad, but yeah what Android app even supports that kind of interface?

BlackBerry 10, CB10 signed ✓
    I don't like it, but I agree with you that it may be necessary since the screen on the Mercury may need the real estate. For those of you saying to make the screen bigger, that's not going to work. They could make it bigger, but the apps would still only use the portion of the screen that is currently available because you can't just make a random size screen and expect apps to run properly on it.
    Brandon Tobias and MyriadeCoh like this.
    01-07-17 10:43 AM
    I think thats a classic BB design. Some people thinks it detracts from the capacitive keyboard. I don't mind it as its more convenient to have them there than not.
    01-07-17 11:36 AM
    On the DTEK60 there is a very annoying trait in certain apps where it is VERY HARD to get them to appear and thus it's also VERY HARD to get out of the App. T-Mobile's "Tuesdays" app is one of the worst offenders in this regard, and it sucks.

Being able to "square" to the task manager at any time and murder that evil app is IMHO a GOOD THING.
    01-07-17 12:00 PM
    The android keys don't bother me but like OnePlus i would rather have either the option for on screen keys or instead of using the android icons they could have used white back lite dashes.
    so it would have been like this ( -- O -- ) allowing users to customize the keys i honestly like Samsung's layout where the back button is on the right on multitask on the left so the dashes allow the user to swap that stock android orientation as well its easier to ignore even if permanent.
    01-07-17 12:29 PM
    Why don't you take it easy a bit. Was it not YOU who started this whole comparison with the tool belt? I just replied to your, kputock's and The Big Picture's comparison to that toolbelt and added that it would be nice if TCL decided that the icons could change depending on the app that is used. That was one of the things I liked when I had an iPhone. That's all.
    Sorry if I came across offensively; that was not my intent. My point is simply that BlackBerry has been using a capacitive tool belt for a while now and a row of capacitive keys above the PKB should feel and look normal. Also keeping in spirit with a stock android experience, which BlackBerry seems to lean toward, I don't see it wise to change the stock appearance of the android navigational keys and I see it unreasonable to expect them to match a BBOS experience in some way with them. It's a shame BlackBerry has abandoned development of BB10 devices and with that the belt will disappear. I just don't see Android as the answer for this.
    Last edited by DamianWarS; 01-07-17 at 03:27 PM.
    01-07-17 02:46 PM
    On the DTEK60 there is a very annoying trait in certain apps where it is VERY HARD to get them to appear and thus it's also VERY HARD to get out of the App. T-Mobile's "Tuesdays" app is one of the worst offenders in this regard, and it sucks.

Being able to "square" to the task manager at any time and murder that evil app is IMHO a GOOD THING.
    For this reason I'd rather they always be there. Same reason why I want a keyboard always there, and why I like my toolbelt. There's no question it is there right when I want to use it...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Barbareren likes this.
    01-07-17 04:27 PM
    While I don't like them, my only hope is that it doesn't require a second press/touch to initiate BlackBerrys Swipe gestures. Gestures are my number one concern.
    01-07-17 04:36 PM
    While I don't like them, my only hope is that it doesn't require a second press/touch to initiate BlackBerrys Swipe gestures. Gestures are my number one concern.
    Ditto.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    01-07-17 04:42 PM
    I really love the fact that the softbuttons are capacitive buttons beneath the display. There's nothing more frustrating than being in an app in the so called immersive mode and always have to swipe up to the the soft button bar up to get back.
    +1
    01-07-17 05:58 PM
    Not sure that is the case. If they were to employ soft buttons on a screen that is already 3:2 aspect ratio would they not run into compatibility issues? I suspect they were faced with a choice...either extending the screen, or having dedicated buttons. Either way, reducing the overall height of the device was probably not an option.
    ominaxe likes this.
    01-07-17 08:14 PM
    [QUOTE=peednus;12722404]
    How do you know this? Every image or video I've seen of the device has them permanently on...including when the screen is off. Explain me that!

Jesus made it happen.

As for your fear, maybe you should fear venomous spiders, return of velocioraptors, or beavers with laser guns and projectile teeth.

Posted via Commodore 64
    Hey my fear of spiders is a real thing, pal!

[/kidding around]
    01-07-17 09:18 PM
    Not sure that is the case. If they were to employ soft buttons on a screen that is already 3:2 aspect ratio would they not run into compatibility issues? I suspect they were faced with a choice...either extending the screen, or having dedicated buttons. Either way, reducing the overall height of the device was probably not an option.
    Good point. Maybe the 3:2 ratio doesn't support virtual buttons, didn't think of that.
    01-10-17 01:45 PM
178 1234 ...