I am so scared about this. WHY wouldn't they make it like the Priv where it's just built into the screen and not a separate thing? So if I'm watching a video, those buttons will ALWAYS stay there? How did this possibly get through the design phase??? Boggles the mind.

Is this a thing? Any insight?
    01-06-17 12:38 AM
    they wont be lit all the time i am going to assume. when the device sleeps they will turn off
    velkod likes this.
    01-06-17 12:42 AM
    I am so scared about this. WHY wouldn't they make it like the Priv where it's just built into the screen and not a separate thing? So if I'm watching a video, those buttons will ALWAYS stay there? How did this possibly get through the design phase??? Boggles the mind.

Samsung phones have almost the same thing. I don't see how it's a big deal.
    01-06-17 12:57 AM
    they wont be lit all the time i am going to assume. when the device sleeps they will turn off
    They only light up when they are touched or the keyboard is active. You can see this in the hands on videos.
    howarmat likes this.
    01-06-17 01:01 AM

Scared? Dude, get your life together. The button lights will dim, just like any other Android device, you can also set the timeout as well.

Posted via Commodore 64
    RoseBud68, JD_CB, PALoeza and 1 others like this.
    01-06-17 01:10 AM
    Scared? Dude, get your life together. The button lights will dim, just like any other Android device, you can also set the timeout as well.

Posted via Commodore 64
    Lol, it's crazy what ppl freak out over
    RoseBud68, JD_CB, peednus and 1 others like this.
    01-06-17 01:58 AM
    I'm annoyed the other way. Why not just use the toolbelt/trackpad set up? The trackpad makes using the keyboard and editing text so much easier than gestures.

Posted via CB10
    velkod, pooyam, JD_CB and 6 others like this.
    01-06-17 02:05 AM

Posted via Commodore 64
    How do you know this? Every image or video I've seen of the device has them permanently on...including when the screen is off. Explain me that!

Lol, it's crazy what ppl freak out over
    Figure of speech.
    01-06-17 10:32 AM

Check that out, then.
    01-06-17 10:34 AM

Check that out, then.
    @1:35 in the video.
    From an aesthetics P.O.V. I can feel ya, but it would only bother me when watching movies. That said, I wonder what happens with those 3 icons when you watch a movie in either portrait mode or landscape mode????
    Last edited by WT44; 01-06-17 at 01:18 PM.
    01-06-17 11:34 AM
    If it's that horrifying then you always have the option to get a PRIV, where the keys pop up at the bottom like other Androids.
    JD_CB likes this.
    01-06-17 11:42 AM
    What I don't get is if they're always going to be there, why not proper push buttons? The appeal of this device is the pkb (for those of us who want a pkb), and they went with touch sensitive buttons for the most commonly used ones!
    WT44, nycspaces. and blandIRON like this.
    01-06-17 01:03 PM
    What I don't get is if they're always going to be there, why not proper push buttons? The appeal of this device is the pkb (for those of us who want a pkb), and they went with touch sensitive buttons for the most commonly used ones!
    +1
    Something I also don't really get... but who knows, keyboard is in work, so maybe we'll see a change although I don't hang my hopes to high on that one...
    01-06-17 03:12 PM
    People always need something to complain!
    01-06-17 03:18 PM
    How do you know this? Every image or video I've seen of the device has them permanently on...including when the screen is off. Explain me that!

Figure of speech.

Concern: Capacitive Android Buttons Above Keyboard?-img_20170106_211731.png
    It's permanent so it appears.

Posted via CB10
    WT44 and ss_au like this.
    01-06-17 03:23 PM
    Blackberry has had capacitive keys for a while now in their tool belt and they are always visible. This should feel normal in BB PKB culture.

Attachment 415442
    Last edited by DamianWarS; 01-06-17 at 03:45 PM.
    01-06-17 03:25 PM

I have been asking myself the same question.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-17 03:27 PM
    If it has the predictive words on screen like my Passport, I can see myself hitting those Android buttons accidentally by not reaching far enough.

Would take some time getting used to.
    mbirth likes this.
    01-06-17 04:33 PM
    Jesus made it happen.

Posted via Commodore 64
    Last edited by peednus; 01-10-17 at 06:16 PM.
    01-06-17 04:38 PM
    I have been asking myself the same question.

Posted via CB10
    I thought that the android buttons were just on the screen, had no idea they were permanent. My guess is they did it to give it a track pad type look since the Mercury's looks are based off the "classic" BlackBerry Style phone. Bad move in my opinion.
    TheGraduate likes this.
    01-06-17 04:43 PM
    I really love the fact that the softbuttons are capacitive buttons beneath the display. There's nothing more frustrating than being in an app in the so called immersive mode and always have to swipe up to the the soft button bar up to get back.
    01-06-17 04:51 PM
    Oh no! Do you know when the velociraptors are coming??!!

[QUOTE=peednus;12722404]

As for your fear, maybe you should fear ... return of velocioraptors...

Posted via Commodore 64
    01-06-17 04:56 PM
    Funny thing is, when I saw the design of the mercury, I didn't like it much, even when I had a silver edition passport which I loved... but now with the picture posted about the subject here, I find the device more appealing...
    01-06-17 04:59 PM
    [QUOTE=peednus;12722404]

Jesus made it happen.

As for your fear, maybe you should fear venomous spiders, return of velocioraptors, or beavers with laser guns and projectile teeth.

Posted via Commodore 64
    I would suspect they are "on" like the capacitive toolbelt is always visible on BBOS devices. The buttons light up but when there is no light they are still visible. I would think while watching a movie or playing an app in full screen mode the back lit capacitive keys and PKB will "turn off" meaning no light will be on again similar to other BBOS PKB/capacative keys experience but despite not being lit up will still be somewhat visible.
    zensen likes this.
    01-06-17 05:06 PM
    Two mutually beneficial reasons: screen real estate maximization and BlackBerry toolbelt reminiscence.
    01-06-17 05:18 PM
178 123 ...