So basically we either want it to be the size of a nail clipper or the size of a bulletin board...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Bbnivende and Plazmic Flame like this.
    11-14-16 07:18 AM
    And no thanks to the Mercury as well if the PKB is like the Classic (which was prone to double typing after a couple of drops but was ghetto-fixed thanks to a BB10 OS update)
    11-14-16 12:05 PM
    And no thanks to the Mercury as well if the PKB is like the Classic (which was prone to double typing after a couple of drops but was ghetto-fixed thanks to a BB10 OS update)
    I think you are confusing the Classic with the Q10 which did have double typing issues.
    11-14-16 01:39 PM
    I've personally experienced double typing with my old Q10 but there's been reported cases in the forums of the Classic, the Passport & the Passport SE with double typing issues as well

the Q5 was actually the only BB10 device with a PKB that didn't have this issue

I'm glad the PKB is working nicely as well on the PRIV even after a couple of drops even though I had the NO SIM CARD detected AND NO SD card detected issues on my PRIV...
    11-14-16 02:23 PM
    ... then Bla1ze must have been drinking some alcohol-laced BlackBerry juice. I used the Priv keyboard and it is not that great as the Q10 or Classic, usable but I wouldn't go so far as to call it fantastic.

Posted via CB10
    I owned the Bold, Q10, Classic and now the PRIV. Yes, the PRIV keyboard isn't as great as the others, but after an adjustment period, it's pretty good, and it's worth the sacrifice to have more screen space.
    Mirko935 and iamagod like this.
    11-15-16 08:01 AM
    This is a lively thread which is good to see. Everyone is entitled to their own view. My view is that if Blackberry can now sell a phone that I can use as a phone, read emails and doesn't ruin the line of my suit (trousers, pants call them what you will) I would be very keen to see it. I don't need a phone with a screen the size of a small town. Oh, and I still use my z10.
    And you can see just by reading this thread why the Mercury won't be successful. Literally every person in here wants something different, nobody can agree on the same thing. So the end result is most likely going to make most unhappy.
    11-15-16 08:03 AM
    I think you are confusing the Classic with the Q10 which did have double typing issues.
    I definitely had double typing issues on both my Q10 and Classic.
    11-15-16 08:06 AM
    Just had the "invalid card - emergency call only" error this morning on my PRIV. Reinserting the already well inserted SIM card fixed it but grrr this is annoying!
    Maybe it was a wise move after all for BlackBerry to partner with TCL...

So the Mercury is supposed to be an "in house" device. I sincerely wish it will be robust like a Q5
    EDIT: Actually even though the Q5 had a robust chiclet keyboard keyboard, it had an inaccurate GPS (I've owned this device too)

I think BlackBerry should seriously consider letting TCL do the job because the Mercury is probably going to be their last shot to do things right for a device with a PKB
    Last edited by Villard Defender; 11-15-16 at 08:37 AM.
    11-15-16 08:19 AM
    But the sliders have terrible keyboards.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    I can't speak for the PRIV, but I had a 9810 slider (OS7). It had a small keyboard but was tremendous.
    If it had been capable of LTE I would likely still have it.
    11-15-16 08:24 AM
    I can't speak for the PRIV, but I had a 9810 slider (OS7). It had a small keyboard but was tremendous.
    If it had been capable of LTE I would likely still have it.
    I doubt it was better than a 9900 or Q10 or the classic. In my opinion that is. Ofcourse you could prefer the torch style keyboards.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    11-15-16 08:42 AM
    I doubt it was better than a 9900 or Q10 or the classic.
    better is subjective because there's two factors that makes a keyboard good:
    1-How comfortable it is
    2-How robust it is after many drops (if it wasn't for the BB10 software update that ghetto-fixed the double typing issue there would be many unsatisfied PKB lovers)

If we talk about comfortable keyboards most will agree with this order:
    PP>Classic>Q10>9900>Q5>PRIV>Torch

If we talk about how robust they are after many drops the 4 survivors not in a particular order are:
    the Q5, the 9900, the PRIV and the Torch

By the end of June 2017 unfortunately WhatsApp will no longer work on the Q5 and if that application is a MUST for you, you can forget the 9900 and the Torch.

You basically have 1 imperfect option in my experience which is the PRIV: imperfect not because of its fantastic keyboard according to Bla1ze but because of other issues I've encountered mentioned in previous posts

Now the Mercury will be an imperfect 2nd option for a device with a PKB because they will most likely have to compromise screen real estate. If this could be the only imperfect thing of the Mercury it wouldn't be too bad...

Will BlackBerry pass or fail this challenge? We'll see...
    Hopefully they have learned from their mistakes

Why am I tempted by the Mercury besides nostalgia even though I love a 16:9 aspect ratio would be because of my imperfect experience with the PRIV

Deep in my heart I want a device that would make me stfu! (not complain about double-typing, inaccurate GPS, fragile keyboard, SIM/SD card issues, aspect ratio). The perfect solution for me would be a SOLID PRIV 2 with upgraded specs, better front facing camera, Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0, USB Type C, 3400+mAh battery, SnapDragon 820 or better, etc.

In spite of my bad experiences with BlackBerry, I always forgive them. It's as if we were married you see. I even pray for the success of the company. I know they have the potential to make me happy...they just got to deliver
    Last edited by Villard Defender; 11-15-16 at 10:04 AM.
    11-15-16 08:48 AM
    I doubt it was better than a 9900 or Q10 or the classic. In my opinion that is. Ofcourse you could prefer the torch style keyboards.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    I have a Classic - I went from the 9810 to a Classic.

I honestly couldn't say which one is better - I tend to adapt and move on. The Classic's is likely better just due to the extra physical size.
    I did prefer the 9810's slider configuration and when my contract is up will be strongly considering a PRIV - partially due to the extra Android app availability but also because of the enjoyment of the slider configuration.
    11-15-16 10:07 AM
    I will be strongly considering a PRIV
    I hope that if you get one, you will have a perfectly fine unit
    11-15-16 10:11 AM
    Then get a Priv. What's the problem?
    Seriously. OP is complaining about what exactly? What a useless thread.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-16 10:37 AM
    Seriously. OP is complaining about what exactly? What a useless thread.

Posted via CB10
    I already have an imperfect PRIV...

I think this thread shows how we're out of perfect options for a BlackBerry with a PKB and points how the Mercury will be BB's last chance to deliver what could be the ultimate device.

I challenge you to name a perfect BB device with a PKB...if you can do that, then this thread is useless
    Last edited by Villard Defender; 11-15-16 at 10:53 AM.
    11-15-16 10:41 AM
    I don't understand the obsession with massive screens. I've used phones as small as the 9900 and iPhone 4, and as large as 5 inches. Smaller always ends up being more usable for me. Big phones are so clumsy, cannot be operated easily in car (for directions), while walking around, or pretty much any situation where you need to use one hand and pay attention to your surroundings.

Best use-case for a large phone is using it while sitting on the couch or sitting on the sh*tter :-D

But that's just me. I realize I'm in the double-minority of people who want a compact-sized PKB phone. Hoping the Mercury will not be any larger than the Classic. If you remove the trackpad and reduce top bezel size, I think a 4 inch 3:2 screen would fit in Classic form factor.

 C L A S S I C
    11-15-16 11:27 AM
    I already have an imperfect PRIV...

I think this thread shows how we're out of perfect options for a BlackBerry with a PKB and points how the Mercury will be BB's last chance to deliver what could be the ultimate device.

I challenge you to name a perfect BB device with a PKB...if you can do that, then this thread is useless
    Ultimate device for who? I've owned a few BlackBerries and the pkbs were different on all of them. What I have found is that if it's the only input method, you get used to it.

This thread is already useless. I mean, there's no reason to publicly announce why anyone would not get this handset, in particular since little is known about it.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-15-16 11:30 AM
    So what screen size are we talking about, then? In my view, ideally I'd like to see the screen at least 5", and likely 5.2". Anyone know how these sized screens fit the desired aspect ratio, and which can pair up best with the Classic's PKB?

Posted via CB10 from my 100-4 Classic on at&t
    Who knows? But it's likely not going to be "too big" , whatever that may mean, considering the target audience. Here's a clue, it's not us. This device will be large enough to get things done but small enough to sit in the inside pocket of a suit/blazer/sports coat.
    kitmo likes this.
    11-15-16 11:39 AM
    I don't understand the obsession with massive screens. I've used phones as small as the 9900 and iPhone 4, and as large as 5 inches. Smaller always ends up being more usable for me. Big phones are so clumsy, cannot be operated easily in car (for directions), while walking around, or pretty much any situation where you need to use one hand and pay attention to your surroundings.

Best use-case for a large phone is using it while sitting on the couch or sitting on the sh*tter :-D

But that's just me. I realize I'm in the double-minority of people who want a compact-sized PKB phone. Hoping the Mercury will not be any larger than the Classic. If you remove the trackpad and reduce top bezel size, I think a 4 inch 3:2 screen would fit in Classic form factor.

 C L A S S I C
    Many are now using their smartphones for the majority, if not entirety, of their computing / entertainment needs.

Not me though, my phone is still used almost solely as a PDA with communication ability. To be frank, that's why I still use BlackBerry.
    11-15-16 11:45 AM

 C L A S S I C
    you are not the only one who prefers a smaller pkb phone. I think 4 to 4.5 inch screen is good. Pretty much the form factor from that Rome render /leak would be perfect for my need.
    11-15-16 11:49 AM
    Many are now using their smartphones for the majority, if not entirety, of their computing / entertainment needs.

Not me though, my phone is still used almost solely as a PDA with communication ability. To be frank, that's why I still use BlackBerry.
    Understand that many of the masses do use it as their primary, or sometimes only computing device.

I'm still a bit surprised to see so many people on CrackBerry clamoring for big screens though. What ever happened to all the "tools not toys" criers? They must have defected!

 C L A S S I C
    11-15-16 11:56 AM

 C L A S S I C
    I'm in between. I find the Classic screen to be adequate, and if it's slightly larger (but not wider) it'll be alright, but I agree that the obsession with gigantic screens escapes me. I know they say is to watch videos, but I guess I'm too much of an A/V snob, so all mobile phone screens, regardless of how big, are too small for me, so I honestly don't care if it's a 3.5" screen or a 6" screen, all equally mediocre for watching videos in my opinion...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    kitmo likes this.
    11-15-16 12:03 PM
    BlackBerry Mercury's display will be smaller than the PRIV no thanks...-bb_mercury.jpg
    ZayDub likes this.
    11-15-16 12:31 PM
    I am in your camp amigo. If the email or webpage is really complex, I will look at it on a laptop or pc
    11-15-16 02:28 PM
    The 16:9 ratio is do-able...if they kept the overall size about the same as PRIV, and implement a three row fixed pkb similar to Passport... that should leave room for +/- 5" screen (diagonal) at 16:9.
    Last edited by kputock; 11-16-16 at 09:46 AM.
    11-15-16 05:31 PM
197 12345 ...