I don't doubt that, but on an individual level don't see why you would care...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Because don't individuals buy the phones? Marketing, or, in BB's case, lack thereof is a big thing. .
    Last edited by andy957; 12-05-16 at 08:49 AM.
    PALoeza likes this.
    12-05-16 07:24 AM
    either tool belt or just leave it like how all blackberry android are at the moment which is virtual instead of dedicated.

I dont understand these designs, the device is already tall, so lets make the device unnecessarily taller by adding permanent buttons...zzzzz
    Those 5mm will make the difference between too tall or just right. Just like airline seats, the inch it reclines makes the difference between safe or dead in a crash apparently...

12-05-16 07:24 AM
    DHarbkirk just posted this on BBM. I don't care why or what he might know or not not. Just throwing it in here.

BlackBerry DTEK 70 live photo?-1480945714867_998802.jpeg

Posted via CB10
    12-05-16 07:56 AM
    DHarbkirk just posted this on BBM. I don't care why or what he might know or not not. Just throwing it in here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1480945714867_998802.jpeg 
Views:	404 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	413506

Posted via CB10
    So, the top silver design seems to align with the leaked photo...I wonder what it houses, better camera perhaps!

Posted via CB10
    12-05-16 08:19 AM
    So, the top silver design seems to align with the leaked photo...I wonder what it houses, better camera perhaps!

Posted via CB10
    https://www.blackberrycentral.com/ne...ws-geek-bench/

Probably from the same rendering two months ago.
    12-05-16 08:23 AM
    BlackBerry DTEK 70 live photo?-dae043680ab5650fbdacaf6ed5792f26.jpeg previously I was inquiring how the spacebar and the fingerprint would feature, this BlackBerry central enhanced photo seems to highlight them.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-16 08:43 AM
    He asked in place of the home key row. So it literally wouldn't take up any more space than already done... And if it would be more, it's mere millimeters...

I get that but I feel with pkb devices every millimeter counts as screen real estate is vital , especially when you are trying to Jam in a solid keyboard
    12-05-16 09:17 AM
    I don't doubt that, but on an individual level don't see why you would care...

the name of the device It's not in the top10 of my important features in the smartphone (I got a "PRIV" lol), but as I said, the product is a sum of it's parts (even the smaller ones, and the name is like the style, it has to be worth something. On a personal level, maybe when someone asks you wich phone's yours (wich I get asked a lot about the priv)

IMO, I think they should keep the Q and Z names. whatever, who cares, it's the last BB phone
    PALoeza likes this.
    12-05-16 09:21 AM
    these permanent buttons ... perhaps they are done this way so we can customise them
    12-05-16 09:28 AM
    the back, home and recent apps buttons are sooo dumb, i cant get over it
    ominaxe likes this.
    12-05-16 09:52 AM
    Because don't individuals buy the phones? Marketing, or, in BB's case, lack thereof is a big thing. .
    Again, I am not making any statement about how well it would be received, only why the person who commented would care personally... Unless he/she is saying that he/she is someone who would buy the phone or not depending on the name alone.

12-05-16 10:14 AM
    I get that but I feel with pkb devices every millimeter counts as screen real estate is vital , especially when you are trying to Jam in a solid keyboard
    Screen space won't be affected by millimeter since they have an aspect ratio they must meet and the width is set. If anything it would just make the overall size a few millimeters taller, which honestly, would you notice 2 millimeters unless you had something else side by side??

12-05-16 10:16 AM
    What would be the call send button? And it can't only work when a call is coming in. Right now if I want to call back the last call, I simply press the call send button from the home screen to bring up the phone app and then the same button again to call the last number. Which button on the keyboard could do that? And same with call end, which button would do that? Can't be one of the existing keys since I often type and do other things while on the phone, so how would that work? And then what would act as the "click" feature of the trackpad? Like moving a cursor in a browser and clicking on a small link in a non-mobile-friendly website?

I don't know if I just lack imagination but I fail to see how the actual functions of the toolbelt could be replaced. We can do without them, sure, but definitely wouldn't be as efficient and intuitive in my opinion.

I hear you. But before the passport I never imagined what a PKB was capable of.

I'm just drawn to the blinky lights and bejewelled cases..
    12-05-16 11:10 AM
    I hear you. But before the passport I never imagined what a PKB was capable of.

I'm just drawn to the blinky lights and bejewelled cases..
    Adding the capacitive ability definitely improves the pkb by itself. But I think the ultimate thing is the best of both worlds. The ability to flick up suggestions, a dedicated trackpad for everything else, physical back button, and call send and end buttons for phone calls.

12-05-16 11:23 AM
    Adding the capacitive ability definitely improves the pkb by itself. But I think the ultimate thing is the best of both worlds. The ability to flick up suggestions, a dedicated trackpad for everything else, physical back button, and call send and end buttons for phone calls.
    I was thinking about that... a dedicated send/end call button, but millions of iPhone/Android users don't have dedicated keys for this and they are fine with it.

You will likely use a keyboard more (email, text, browse) then answer a phone call these days.
    My use cases for physical keyboard:
    - Email
    - Note taking (Evernote)
    - Texting /IM
    - Data entry (for forms)

Much more useful then a dedicated hang up/call button. Can't you just assign a keyboard shortcut to call and to hang up?
    12-05-16 11:33 AM
    I was thinking about that... a dedicated send/end call button, but millions of iPhone/Android users don't have dedicated keys for this and they are fine with it.
    Who needs stinkin' buttons when you can slide open the phone to answer?
    12-05-16 11:37 AM
    Who needs stinkin' buttons when you can slide open the phone to answer?
    People clinging to their Bolds and Classics, not being able to acclimate themselves to a glass slab device. Just a guess of course.
    Carjackd likes this.
    12-05-16 11:52 AM
    Nougat is being released on December 7th. My guess is Mercury will be announced soon after.
    12-05-16 11:57 AM
    Too tall, classic is a good size
    2 mm too wide, 1,5 maybe

Posted via CB10
    12-05-16 12:01 PM
    Nougat is being released on December 7th.
    Source?
    12-05-16 12:03 PM
    Very excited, I love my passport, no complaints with BB10, I hope they keep some of the gestures etc from the passport
    12-05-16 12:08 PM

You will likely use a keyboard more (email, text, browse) then answer a phone call these days.
    My use cases for physical keyboard:
    - Email
    - Note taking (Evernote)
    - Texting /IM
    - Data entry (for forms)

Much more useful then a dedicated hang up/call button. Can't you just assign a keyboard shortcut to call and to hang up?
    People are "fine" with things because the corporations, through very smart marketing, has convinced people to lower their standards. Before people demanded the best, now everyone is happy with "good enough." Why do you think that is? A lot of it is due to the fact that now-a-days your image and how well you "fit in" is more important than being able to make up your own mind about things...

And you list the benefits of a keyboard as if having the toolbelt would take those away. Have all of the things you mentioned AND MORE. And no, you can't apply them to keys on the keyboard because you might use your keyboard to type. I put people on speakerphone and use my phone all of the time to do other things. Would be awesome if I'm long-pressing a key to type a capital letter and it hangs up on my call right? :-D

12-05-16 12:22 PM
    Nougat is being released on December 7th. My guess is Mercury will be announced soon after.
    Here's what the Pocket-lint site has to say about BlackBerry devices and Nougat:
    Android 7.1 Nougat update: BlackBerry
    BlackBerry is all about Android now. The BlackBerry Priv launched on Android Lollipop and it took six months to see an update to Marshmallow.
    With a bit of luck BlackBerry will speed things up for Android Nougat but early 2017 is probably more likely than the end of 2016.
    When is Android 7.1 Nougat coming to my phone? - Pocket-lint
    12-05-16 12:26 PM
    Here's what the Pocket-lint site has to say about BlackBerry devices and Nougat:
    Android 7.1 Nougat update: BlackBerry
    BlackBerry is all about Android now. The BlackBerry Priv launched on Android Lollipop and it took six months to see an update to Marshmallow.
    With a bit of luck BlackBerry will speed things up for Android Nougat but early 2017 is probably more likely than the end of 2016.
    When is Android 7.1 Nougat coming to my phone? - Pocket-lint
    One of the only features I am just dying to come to Android is the option to not have notification sounds broadcasted over a BT connected device... I don't want anything interrupting music when I have a speaker connected via BT and don't want to announce to the world I'm having a conversation on my phone...

12-05-16 12:32 PM
    Where did you hear this?
    12-05-16 12:38 PM
402 ... 7891011 ...