I WAS going to buy a Leap...

Then I bought the BlackBerry Z30. Solves all those problems listed here...

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30
    04-30-15 09:39 PM
    I WAS going to buy a Leap...

Then I bought the BlackBerry Z30. Solves all those problems listed here...

That's telling, instead of the latest and greatest new release you went with a phone released 2 years ago (2013) and gained a little processor while loosing 7 hours talk time.
    thanasi likes this.
    04-30-15 11:02 PM
    Yep. I know what a good device is...

05-01-15 12:18 AM
    M

Posted via Zed10
    05-02-15 04:30 AM
    Please read this again, as it is 100% correct!

Not putting 5GHz in the Leap is a very straightforward and sensible trade-off. Not putting 5GHz into a media streamer (AppleTV, Roku, ChromeCast, etc.) or some other fixed, media-heavy device that isn't likely (or capable) of having a wired connection - now THAT would be stupid. But that's not the issue here. BB made the right choice this time, if something needed to go to maintain their budget.
    Well, Chromecast doesn't support 5GHZ.
    johnkb24 likes this.
    05-02-15 11:09 AM
    Lack of 5ghz would be more of a tragedy if it had decent signal strength. Lack of signal power for a mobile device is..... not ideal.

Posted via Z10
    05-02-15 03:50 PM
    Now that you mentioned it, I think you've completely nailed it. 5Ghz should not be for mobile phones. it's no wonder why I keep getting dropped signals while moving around my room with my tablets, MacBook and phones when my router is in my room as well. It should be for fixed located devices like TV, desktop and game consoles only.

I think BlackBerry made a good call on this because if someone who is not technical keeps complaining they get dropped signals because they are on 5ghz ac connection and not understanding the technical aspect will easily blame Blackberry is at fault. Blackberry already have enough problems with users not knowing how to access hotspot that they don't need to add on another one to tarnish their reputation further.

Btw, I also notice battery life drops faster on 5ghz band on all my devices.

I think the main advantage of 5Ghz is that it is far less crowded, specially compared to the ridiculously overburdened 2.4Ghz (used by everything it seems).

5Ghz should really be used for high throughput close-proximity connections. Things like connecting to your Smart TV, Roku, NAS, or media intensive desktop. The more you can off load those types of "fixed location devices" onto the 5Ghz band, the less crowded the 2.4Ghz bands will be for mobile devices that need a more reliably/consistent range/coverage (and are often less demanding on bandwidth).

So from a practical standpoint, the Leap (a spartan, work-focused, budget device) not having 5Ghz is not as 'ridiculous' as the OP makes it seem.

Posted via CB10
    lift and jamesharmeling like this.
    05-03-15 04:10 PM
    That's telling, instead of the latest and greatest new release you went with a phone released 2 years ago (2013) and gained a little processor while loosing 7 hours talk time.
    I don't know if you are ironic or not, but the Z30 is better than the Leap in every way: better processor, better GPU, HDMI, Miracast, 5 ghz wifi

The fact that the Z30 is two years older than the Leap only shows how bad this one is...

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 01:56 AM
    I don't know if you are ironic or not, but the Z30 is better than the Leap in every way: better processor, better GPU, HDMI, Miracast, 5 ghz wifi

The fact that the Z30 is two years older than the Leap only shows how bad this one is...

Posted via CB10
    The Z30 was over $700 at launch and hasn't been in production for some time now. How many times does this need to be said?....

You are comparing a $700 phone to a $350 one. Stop.

Only reason the 30 is cheap now is because it's discontinued and out of production.

Posted via Z10
    bruce73, johnkb24 and lift like this.
    05-04-15 02:10 AM
    Snip
    05-04-15 02:11 AM
    Now that you mentioned it, I think you've completely nailed it. 5Ghz should not be for mobile phones. it's no wonder why I keep getting dropped signals while moving around my room with my tablets, MacBook and phones when my router is in my room as well. It should be for fixed located devices like TV, desktop and game consoles only.

I think BlackBerry made a good call on this because if someone who is not technical keeps complaining they get dropped signals because they are on 5ghz ac connection and not understanding the technical aspect will easily blame Blackberry is at fault. Blackberry already have enough problems with users not knowing how to access hotspot that they don't need to add on another one to tarnish their reputation further.

Btw, I also notice battery life drops faster on 5ghz band on all my devices.
    Apple, Samsung and Microsoft are now scrambling to disable the 5Ghz band in their devices to "keep up" with Blackberry.
    05-04-15 11:09 AM
    If you just Google phones with 5ghz you will find tons of complaints from many users. The list of complaints is almost endless.

Apple, Samsung and Microsoft are now scrambling to disable the 5Ghz band in their devices to "keep up" with Blackberry.
    05-04-15 12:43 PM
    It wasn't 'a good call', it just lowered the cost of the device. It's not like they said 'Wow, there's a lot of issues with 5G, let's just remove it', it was more 'Well, we already got these parts and they were cheaper anyway, so we'll use them' lol. It was a cost saving measure on a cost-friendly device. Nothing more, nothing less. �\_(ツ)_/�
    kbz1960 and lift like this.
    05-04-15 03:28 PM
    Ok, you're right, they probably didn't make a call on it but on the plus side it could be a good thing by not having a feature that could result in more unnecessary complaints.

It wasn't 'a good call', it just lowered the cost of the device. It's not like they said 'Wow, there's a lot of issues with 5G, let's just remove it', it was more 'Well, we already got these parts and they were cheaper anyway, so we'll use them' lol. It was a cost saving measure on a cost-friendly device. Nothing more, nothing less. �\_(ツ)_/�
    05-04-15 03:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    I was dead serious, all he's loosing is 7 hours talk time... But who cares, that's why god made chargers...
    05-04-15 08:41 PM
    The Z30 was over $700 at launch and hasn't been in production for some time now. How many times does this need to be said?....

You are comparing a $700 phone to a $350 one. Stop.

Only reason the 30 is cheap now is because it's discontinued and out of production.

Posted via Z10
    What makes newer better is the latest features. Sure, I could buy a "cheaper" phone with no Bluetooth capability but really??? Why would I want that??? Or a cheap phone with a fraction of the transmitter power then the calls are full of static or drop????

Why would a quality manufacturer put their name on cheap??? If I wanted a Yugo I'd go buy a Yugo but don't sell me a Yugo with the Cadillac name...
    05-04-15 08:48 PM

Why would a quality manufacturer put their name on cheap??? If I wanted a Yugo I'd go buy a Yugo but don't sell me a Yugo with the Cadillac name...

I would have thought that the target audience was fairly clear with the Leap. It's not made or marketed to individuals looking for a high end device.

Also : if he don't like it then don't buy it. I have no idea why people are getting offended over the launch of a cheap phone.....

Posted via Z10
    05-05-15 01:41 AM
    I would have thought that the target audience was fairly clear with the Leap. It's not made or marketed to individuals looking for a high end device.

Also : if he don't like it then don't buy it. I have no idea why people are getting offended over the launch of a cheap phone.....

Posted via Z10
    Because the BB name has never been and doesn't need to be associated with "cheap". They're fishing after a customer that doesn't know they exist.

Look, It's like a vegetarian steak house. Vegetarian's won't stop in a steak house looking for a meal and anyone purposely patronizing a place with steak house in the name isn't looking for a vegetarian dish. Stick with who you are and do THAT well...
    05-05-15 02:23 AM
    In my experience, the 5GHz band has performed beautifully, especially in crowded apartment buildings where the 2.4 GHz band is overcrowded. So, I completely agree with the idea that the Leap doesn�t have it due to cost constraints because it is a budget device. But the idea that the 5 GHz is not effective on mobile isn�t true. Here's a Speedtest screenshot from my iPhone that's plenty fast for my current use:

05-05-15 03:11 AM
    In my experience, the 5GHz band has performed beautifully, especially in crowded apartment buildings where the 2.4 GHz band is overcrowded. So, I completely agree with the idea that the Leap doesn�t have it due to cost constraints because it is a budget device. But the idea that the 5 GHz is not effective on mobile isn�t true. Here's a Speedtest screenshot from my iPhone that's plenty fast for my current use:

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05...3d1f264538.jpg
    Nice Internet speed!
    Anyway, I have a 18mbps connection and sitting about 5 feet away from the router and running that same test with the same app, results in about 11-13mbps down on 5GHZ, and 15mbps+ on 2.4GHZ in my case.
    And there is about half a dozen 2.4GHZ networks around me and no other 5GHZ but me.
    My router is a Netgear R6100. It is not the greatest router out there, but it was what the budget dictated to get.
    This still is no excuse for being that slow for no reason. Especially that close to it with no obstructions.
    I have no cordless phones in my house nor could I think of anything else interfering with it.
    So it could be my router, but I'm not gonna buy another just to see.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 08:07 AM
    Nice Internet speed!
    Anyway, I have a 18mbps connection and sitting about 5 feet away from the router and running that same test with the same app, results in about 11-13mbps down on 5GHZ, and 15mbps+ on 2.4GHZ in my case.
    And there is about half a dozen 2.4GHZ networks around me and no other 5GHZ but me.
    My router is a Netgear R6100. It is not the greatest router out there, but it was what the budget dictated to get.
    This still is no excuse for being that slow for no reason. Especially that close to it with no obstructions.
    I have no cordless phones in my house nor could I think of anything else interfering with it.
    So it could be my router, but I'm not gonna buy another just to see.

Posted via CB10
    That's a very marginal difference and if your internet speed supplied is no faster that 54mbps N will not improve your speed as g does 54mbps.
    05-05-15 08:13 AM
    That's a very marginal difference and if your internet speed supplied is no faster that 54mbps N will not improve your speed as g does 54mbps.
    It's not just about the Internet. It is about WiFi file transfers as well, between phone and PC.
    In my case the 2.4GHZ always wins, both in speed and reliability.
    Like I said, maybe I just have a bad router or a bad phone...

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 09:34 AM
    It's not just about the Internet. It is about WiFi file transfers as well, between phone and PC.
    In my case the 2.4GHZ always wins, both in speed and reliability.
    Like I said, maybe I just have a bad router or a bad phone...

Posted via CB10
    That's strange. I�m using the standard dual-channel router provided by Comcast, and the 5 GHz band has proven to be both fast and reliable. But if the 2.4 were working better, then I�d trust the test results I was getting and just stay with the 2.4.

I suppose the problem with the Leap not having the 5 ghz band is that those users won�t have any option.
    05-05-15 09:49 AM
    I have an app on my PC that monitors network traffic. So I did some tests with the same file.
    On multiple occasions the 5GHZ started out at about the same speed as the 2.4GHZ.
    Starts at about 5mbps then gets faster and sometimes goes above 20mbps. Then dropping down to a crawl of about 20kbps.
    The 2.4GHZ speeds up as well, but maintains the speed.
    That doesn't happen every time, but often.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 11:24 AM
    I have an app on my PC that monitors network traffic. So I did some tests with the same file.
    On multiple occasions the 5GHZ started out at about the same speed as the 2.4GHZ.
    Starts at about 5mbps then gets faster and sometimes goes above 20mbps. Then dropping down to a crawl of about 20kbps.
    The 2.4GHZ speeds up as well, but maintains the speed.
    That doesn't happen every time, but often.

Posted via CB10
    What is the app on your PC called?
    05-05-15 02:58 PM
130 12345 ...