Not sure if my wife is a victim of the recent slew of android viruses, but her aging Nexus 4 went from working fine, to freezing occasionally, to locking up altogether. She can no longer message anyone, start any apps, essentially rendering her device useless. I've tried using cleanmaster to see if I can rid it of any malware, remove some compiled uer data from apps, etc. but no luck.

She has seen and very briefly used my passport from time to time. Her only complaint is that it's like holding a tablet to her face, lol, but she likes it, and she likes the things I am able to do with BB10 vs Android that I had before, and that she has now.

A little background on her usage type. She sucks at technology, took her awhile to figure out android. She doesn't really surf or play games, but she calls and texts a lot, a little facebooking here and there, listens to some music and that's about it.

In my opinion, the Leap is the perfect phone for that kind of usage, but I want to hear from those who have the device itself. I've used a demo unit in store, but that's not really saying much.

Opinions?
    lift likes this.
    09-22-15 08:37 AM
    I would probably get her the Z30 or an iphone. My wife is the same as yours and she loves her Iphone.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    Avenzuno likes this.
    09-22-15 08:47 AM
    Leap looks like a good device for her. I don't think she needs the more expensive Z30 for her needs.

But before you buy her the phone, make sure she's OK with the nativ Facebook app, as it seems like this would be one major part of her mobile device usage.
    09-22-15 09:05 AM
    Well, here's the thing, she's getting her much needed upgrade as she's had the Nexus since new...so it's a choice of all the $0 phones (or $50 phones), we're not buying the device outright. If Telus has a Z30 in stock, she could go for that, but I don't think they do.
    09-22-15 09:24 AM
    It's a decent device, but if the z30 is available it's superior by a mile.
    09-22-15 12:18 PM
    If she is only using it for Texting, calling, facebook and music. I would recommend the Leap.

I've personally used it for weeks now and it's great. Battery life will also be good if she is a light user.

The OS is simple, just how I like it. I'm sure she will enjoy it. Plus is only $275 (+ 10% discount coupon code) so it won't break the bank if she hates it.

Best, if possible, take her down to the store to play on one

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on OS 10.3.3.271
    09-22-15 12:19 PM
    Yes, she should definitely get a leap, bb10 is a great os

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 03:49 PM
    My wife is a huge iPad fan and just decided that she needed a smartphone to keep in touch when she is out of the house. I initially suggested iPhone, but when she saw the cost, to essentially re-buy what she already has, she balked. We ended up getting her a Leap and she loves it. Especially the ease of managing communications and appointments. She still loves her iPad but only uses it for stuff she does at home, or when it makes sense to take the iPad along. I got to like it so much I'm getting one to replace my Z10LE. So I would say yes, go for it.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    lift likes this.
    09-22-15 04:36 PM
    I say get the Leap. For the things she does it sounds like a good fit. I have one and I like it a lot. You mention she sucks at technology. The only problem I see is if she needs some apps you may have to side load them for her. I think she will really like BB10 though.
    09-22-15 09:54 PM
    Well, my wife and I went to Telus yesterday. The salesman is actually a school friend from long ago, so that was a nice reunion. I kindly told him what we were there for and what phone she was considering, but to start off, if he could get us in touch with loyalty and retention, because her package was way too high for what she was receiving. The retention rep helped us a little, but the bias certainly shows, because they said if she got the Leap, her package would have to start off at the next tier up, whereas if she went with a Moto G, she didn't have to raise her package from where it was now.

Long story, my wife decided on the Leap due to heavy influence on my part, but they tried to sell her the Moto G so bad. I questioned her friend the rep about specs (which I already knew of both devices). Of the differentiators other than Processor, Moto G had 8Gb storage expandable up to 32Gb, Leap has 16 expandable to 128. Both have 720P screen, Moto beat the Leap on camera specs, both have 2Gb memory, however lastly (big plus for my wife), leap battery will last her the day (minimum) whereas moto G will need to be plugged in by 5-6pm.

I said to the rep outright that I know her (our) choice was unconventional, but my passport has not let me down in any way during the almost year I've had it, and I expect the same from Leap. Her Nexus, however, is always initializing apps on startup even without upgrading OS, battery life doesn't last a day, and the phone runs a bit laggy. This latest freezing up of apps and on-screen buttons has rendered the phone useless. So I asked him, if he were us, what would he have done in our case and had to decide Moto G or Leap, he said Leap because he couldn't argue anything other than apps. She will be picking up her Leap today after work, and I'll set it up for her tonight.
    09-23-15 06:04 AM
    Just curious, why didn't you get an unlocked Leap from any of a number of places (we got ours from Staples)? Then at the end of your current contract you could get the plan you want rather than the plan that makes it profitable for Telus to give you the phone.

You also seem to have neatly captured the dichotomy of BlackBerry vs Android. If you find yourself "putting up with BlackBerry" because of the lack of applications, then maybe you should be using an Android or iPhone. On the other hand if you find yourself "putting up with Android" because of privacy, security or stability maybe you should be using BlackBerry.

I hope your wife has a long and productive relationship with her new phone.
    09-23-15 07:02 AM
    Just curious, why didn't you get an unlocked Leap from any of a number of places (we got ours from Staples)?
    To be blunt, and I hope nobody judges us here, I just forked over the cost of a funeral outright, so I couldn't at this moment in time, go out and buy a phone with all the other expenses that just occurred. Her plan was to hold onto the phone for awhile longer to get something a bit better.

You also seem to have neatly captured the dichotomy of BlackBerry vs Android. If you find yourself "putting up with BlackBerry" because of the lack of applications, then maybe you should be using an Android or iPhone. On the other hand if you find yourself "putting up with Android" because of privacy, security or stability maybe you should be using BlackBerry.
    With all due respect, I know all about the various platforms, as well as the merits and pitfalls of each. I know why I'm on BB10, and I know why my wife should be on it as well. For her usage of a phone, she needs good battery life, and ease of use, because all she does with it (besides making calls) is texting, and occasionally check facebook, basic stuff. No customizing, changing wallpapers, themes, launchers or any of that stuff. My wife was pro-feature phone until I got her the Nexus, and she started liking touchscreen after she got used to it. She was now leaning toward the Moto G, not because it appealed to her, but because she was familiar with it. I then had to remind her of all the things she kept nagging about with her old phone. That's why she decided Leap, because I don't have any of the issues she had.

I hope your wife has a long and productive relationship with her new phone.
    I have no doubt that the Leap will serve her well
    09-23-15 08:46 AM
    Leap or Moto G are a good choice. Regarding Moto G (2014) battery life, I find that after 12 hours mine runs down from 100% to 60% if kept in battery saver mode and connected for calls and texts. I don't use mobile broadband data though. Occasional camera use and using WiFi to check email or browse the web is fine as long as WiFi is switched off after a few minutes during those 12 hours. One time at 100% with the above conditions the battery life estimate it gave me was four days but usually the battery life estimate is around 24 to 36 hours.
    09-23-15 09:34 AM
    To be blunt, and I hope nobody judges us here, I just forked over the cost of a funeral outright, so I couldn't at this moment in time, go out and buy a phone with all the other expenses that just occurred. Her plan was to hold onto the phone for awhile longer to get something a bit better.
    Sorry to hear that. I have been in that situation and understand.

With all due respect, I know all about the various platforms, as well as the merits and pitfalls of each. I know why I'm on BB10, and I know why my wife should be on it as well. For her usage of a phone, she needs good battery life, and ease of use, because all she does with it (besides making calls) is texting, and occasionally check facebook, basic stuff. No customizing, changing wallpapers, themes, launchers or any of that stuff. My wife was pro-feature phone until I got her the Nexus, and she started liking touchscreen after she got used to it. She was now leaning toward the Moto G, not because it appealed to her, but because she was familiar with it. I then had to remind her of all the things she kept nagging about with her old phone. That's why she decided Leap, because I don't have any of the issues she had.
    I meant what I said there as a complement, sorry if it didn't come across that way. Taking your previous statement into account I can understand how the feelings brought up by my first statement would leave you in frame of mind that you would not see it that way. I apologize for my clumsy wording.
    Last edited by Richard Buckley; 09-23-15 at 10:43 AM.
    09-23-15 10:31 AM
    I said to the rep outright that I know her (our) choice was unconventional, but my passport has not let me down in any way during the almost year I've had it, and I expect the same from Leap.
    Sounds like you did your homework and made a wise choice. Hope your wife enjoys her Leap. I know I do.
    09-23-15 10:35 AM
    I meant what I said there as a complement, sorry if it didn't come across that way. Taking your previous statement into account I can understand how the feelings brought up by my first statement would leave you in frame of mind that you would not see it that way. I apologize for my clumsy wording.
    No worries, there's other things in life to worry about other than someone's Internet tonality, so I won't hold that against you or anyone else. I actually wish we could have bought the device outright as I hate contracts personally, my wife on the other hand always seems to outlast her contracts, so in this case, she needed a phone and went that route. I was secretly hoping she would get a Leap. I know that Z10's and Z30's were great phones for what they did/continue to do.
    09-23-15 11:17 AM
    Sounds like you did your homework and made a wise choice. Hope your wife enjoys her Leap. I know I do.
    Though I've never owned an iPhone (I don't agree with their company culture or business model) or windows phone (might change in the future), I have owned android and BB, and I do still read up on the various platforms. I consider myself interested in technology at best, and being that I have a background in computer engineering, it's a field I always like to stay current on. When it comes to mobile, I like to be efficient. In that respect (and only that), my wife is like me. Do what you need to and move on. Blackberry and BB10 specifically fits that bill for us.
    lift likes this.
    09-23-15 11:28 AM
    After seen the priv.. damn theres no better option.
    It kikcs the *** of all bb10 devices

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 02:10 PM
    Well, my wife and I went to Telus yesterday. The salesman is actually a school friend from long ago, so that was a nice reunion. I kindly told him what we were there for and what phone she was considering, but to start off, if he could get us in touch with loyalty and retention, because her package was way too high for what she was receiving. The retention rep helped us a little, but the bias certainly shows, because they said if she got the Leap, her package would have to start off at the next tier up, whereas if she went with a Moto G, she didn't have to raise her package from where it was now.

Long story, my wife decided on the Leap due to heavy influence on my part, but they tried to sell her the Moto G so bad. I questioned her friend the rep about specs (which I already knew of both devices). Of the differentiators other than Processor, Moto G had 8Gb storage expandable up to 32Gb, Leap has 16 expandable to 128. Both have 720P screen, Moto beat the Leap on camera specs, both have 2Gb memory, however lastly (big plus for my wife), leap battery will last her the day (minimum) whereas moto G will need to be plugged in by 5-6pm.

I said to the rep outright that I know her (our) choice was unconventional, but my passport has not let me down in any way during the almost year I've had it, and I expect the same from Leap. Her Nexus, however, is always initializing apps on startup even without upgrading OS, battery life doesn't last a day, and the phone runs a bit laggy. This latest freezing up of apps and on-screen buttons has rendered the phone useless. So I asked him, if he were us, what would he have done in our case and had to decide Moto G or Leap, he said Leap because he couldn't argue anything other than apps. She will be picking up her Leap today after work, and I'll set it up for her tonight.
    Glad you stuck to your guns and got the leap, the Telus scam of up selling you on a more expensive plan is crappy, I switched to wind and they had no bias against the leap, and didn't try to up sell me on a more expensive plan. So far loving the phone and wind, I no longer turn off my data for worry of going over my allotment.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 03:38 PM
    sales reps make commission, they're bound to be biased, so glad to see you went with the Leap, call telus and ask about plans for a few months in a row and they'll likely cut you a deal
    09-24-15 03:45 PM
    Thanks everyone. Last night I set up the Leap for her and showed her the basics of the gestures, hub, etc., and today, my wife has said that she didn't think the phone would be this easy to use. She's happy with it so far, and I feel good about helping her make the right choice.

Posted via CB10
    lift and bigjman like this.
    09-24-15 08:59 PM
    Right on! I'm sure she'll love the awesome battery life too!

Posted via CB10
    BBd00d likes this.
    09-24-15 10:53 PM
    Get the Leap over the Z30 or an iPhone. Call quality is superb. The Facebook and Twitter apps are currently not that in good shape on BlackBerry 10 but it may change

LeapSTR100-1/10.3.2.2639
    09-25-15 03:07 AM
    Have her take a PRIV.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 12:25 PM
    Get the Leap over the Z30 or an iPhone. Call quality is superb. The Facebook and Twitter apps are currently not that in good shape on BlackBerry 10 but it may change

LeapSTR100-1/10.3.2.2639
    With twitter, there's much better alternatives with 3rd party apps like Blaq or Twittly. As far as facebook, you're better off using facebook from the browser and making a shortcut for it on the homescreen.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 09:05 PM
45 12