I'm thinking about getting a Leap as a spare to my Passport and while I personally have had zero issues with the build quality on my Passport, there are a decent amount of complaints about screen lifting.

Was waiting for the Blue Classic to come out or even if the Q5 went on sale again I'd be interested. I think the Classic has the glued on screen as well even though it felt solid in the AT&T store.

Never had these issues with the Z30 and actually just gave my Z30 away to a member here in the pay it forward thread. I've replaced the screen on the Z30 before relatively easy.

My question is; does the Leap have a glued on screen/double sided tape or is it more like the Z30 which is screwed on? Also, any other comments on the build quality of the Leap?

I think the Leap is much more aesthetically pleasing than the Z30 and would have a tough time deciding on which one to get if the Z30 were to go on sale again. Kinda wish shopblackberry was still selling the Z10.

I only purchase my devices from shopblackberry.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 01:47 PM
    Chen is a super glue freak
    Sad but true.
    Hope the new ones will be with screws again.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 02:39 PM
    Sad but true.

Posted via CB10
    So I guess that means the Leap screen is glued on... ehhh. For those that have had it, is the build quality solid?

I'm now leaning towards another Z30 although I'd like to try a new device besides the Passport. Love the look of the Leap, if the Classic gets released in blue while I'm deciding I'll probably go for that. I know totally different form factors. My first smartphone was a Storm then Android, but really enjoying the Passport keyboard. It needs a new sidekick :-)

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 09:30 PM
    I've got 2 leaps build is solid no issues

LeapSTR100-1/10.3......
    06-06-15 05:27 AM
    Got mine about two weeks ago unlocked from shopblackberry.com (for $349 Canadian, $394 with taxes...but free shipping) and have been using it for a week now. I have the "space-grey" one. Got my case from incipio.com and the (BlackBerry made) screen protector, from crackberry.com

After some initial trepidations and doubts, now that I have been using it hands on, and not just a display model in a store, it looks and feels even better. The OS looks and performs great, giving you that same unique BB10 experience. The phone's UI is just as responsive and intuitive.

Also remember that the Leap comes with 10.3.1.1779 right out of the box (at least that is the OS version mine had). Then you will most probably update immediately to get 10.3.2 version...The Leap Is optimised to run these higher versions of BB10, whereas the Z10 and Z30 have had to get several updates over the course of the past 2 years to get here.

So far the hardware and software have performed to expectations...at least to mine. And I am by no way a techie or an expert. Not by a long shot.

The much talked about speaker and sound strength/quality or lack thereof , has not been an issue. I've put the Z10 and Leap side by side and watched the same videos or listened to the same songs...and the Leap is definitely louder, with a much more powerful sound and rendition. Now, if you expect some BOSE Hi-Fi type of sound quality, then of course you will be disappointed...But for a device like the Leap and it's price point, it is not bad at all.

It does not feel or look like a cheap or crummy low-level device. It's build is pretty solid and tight, with a simple yet clean and uncomplicated design. For me it is a fitting replacement for my Z10. The bigger screen, which I find better than the Z10, and the much improved battery life...just those two extras makes the buy worth, well at least for myself. And mind you I buy my devices at full price.

Having the option to get a full touch BlackBerry device at the price of the Leap is really not a bad deal. I am not willing at this stage in my life to spend high amounts of money for something like an IPhone or a Galaxy S...devices which have a lot of "bells and whistles", I don't really need in my day to pay use of a smartphone. Besides when you actually put the Leap next to some of those supposedly premium devices, they don't look that impressive...especially considering what you are being charged for them!

The app situation is alright for me, since personally I don't use many, and I am not a gamer. Between BlackBerry World, the Amazon App Store and now the Amazon Store itself (automatically uploaded with the newest OS version), the situation and matter of choice is not really an issue anymore. If you want 10 different fart apps or 39 different weather apps...then yes of course Apple and Google will give you that...

I am not saying necessarily that this is a straightforward replacement for the Z30 as the Leap is missing some features found on the Z30 and even the Z10. I won't bother enumerating here (just get a hold of a spec. sheet). In so far as those...it will depend what you make frequent use of and what you can or can't live without.

At the end of the day it is up to you as a consumer and your individual needs. If you think the Leap can fulfil them, go ahead buy it. If not maybe it's better to look for something else...maybe a Passport, Classic or Z30...or another brand altogether.

Good luck!

PS Perhaps you might want to get your hands on a display model like I did, and see how it handles, before you make a decision...

Cartman says: Screw you guys I'm going home!
    Last edited by adonesc; 07-20-15 at 08:06 AM.
    06-06-15 12:12 PM
    I was an early Leap buyer when they first came out on Amazon. The OS was 10.3.1.2576. The speaker sounded tinny and rattled when turned up high. I ended up returning it for a replacement. The second one was the same. So I returned it for a refund.
    I decided to give it one more try and ordered one from shop BlackBerry. This one I received has OS 10.3.1.2726 and the speaker sounds better than the other one's from Amazon.
    I am thinking that BlackBerry became aware of the speaker issue in the early builds and fixed it? This is definitely a newer unit because it came with a newer OS.
    I am very happy with this one, everything is working great. I am still on the stock OS (10.3.1.2726). I am holding off on upgrading to 10.3.2.680 for now.
    06-06-15 04:37 PM
    Got mine about two weeks ago unlocked from shopblackberry.com (for $349 Canadian, $394 with taxes...but free shipping) and have been using it for a week now. I have the "space-grey" one. Got my case from incipio.com and the (BlackBerry made) screen protector, from crackberry.com

After some initial trepidations and doubts, now that I have been using it hands on, and not just a display model in a store, it looks and feels even better. The OS looks and performs great, giving you that same unique BB10 experience. The phone's UI is just as responsive and intuitive.

Also remember that the Leap comes with 10.3.1.1779 right out of the box (at least that is the OS version mine had). Then you will most probably update immediately to get 10.3.2 version...The Leap Is optimised to run these higher versions of BB10, whereas the Z10 and Z30 have had to get several updates over the course of the past 2 years to get here.

So far the hardware and software have performed to expectations...at least to mine. And I am by no way a techie or an expert. Not by a long shot.

The much talked about speaker and sound strength/quality or lack thereof , has not been an issue. I've put the Z10 and Leap side by side and watched the same videos or listened to the same songs...and the Leap is definitely louder, with a much more powerful sound and rendition. Now, if you expect some Bose Hi-Fi type of quality sound, then of course you will be disappointed...But for a device like the Leap and it's price point, it is not bad at all.

It does not feel or look like a cheap or crummy low-level device. It's build is pretty solid and tight, with a simple yet clean and uncomplicated design. For me it is a fitting replacement for my Z10. The bigger screen, which I find better than the Z10, and the much improved battery life...just those two extras makes the buy worth, well at least for myself. And mind you I buy my devices at full price.

Having the option to get a full touch BlackBerry device at the price of the Leap is really not a bad deal. I am not willing at this stage in my life to spend high amounts of money for something like an IPhone or a Galaxy S...devices which have a lot of "bells and whistles", I don't really need in my day to pay use of a smartphone. Besides when you actually put the Leap next to some of those supposedly premium devices, they don't look that impressive...especially considering what you are being charged for them!

The app situation is alright for me, since personally I don't use many, and I am not a gamer. Between BlackBerry World, the Amazon App Store and now the Amazon Store itself (automatically uploaded with the newest OS version), the situation and matter of choice is not really an issue anymore. If you want 10 different fart apps or 39 different weather apps...then yes of course Apple and Google will give you that...

I am not saying necessarily that this is a straightforward replacement for the Z30 as the Leap is missing some features on the Z30 and even the Z10, which I won't bother enumerating here (just get a hold of a specs. sheet). In so far as those...it will depend what you make frequent use off and what you can or can't live without.

At the end of the day it is up to you as a consumer and your individual needs. If you think the Leap can fulfil them, go ahead buy it. If not maybe it's better to look for something else...maybe a Passport, Classic or older Z30...or another brand altogether.

Good luck!

PS Perhaps you might want to get your hands on a display model like I did, and see how it handles, before you make a decision...

Thanks for the in depth thoughts. Definitely appreciate it. I'm really attracted to the looks of the Leap. Still not quite sure about the white Leap, but the grey one is very aesthetically pleasing and affordable. I also purchase outright and would buy from shopblackberry. Seems like the build is solid. I'm not all that concerned with specs (to a point) and the Leap seems like a nice affordable device. Will likely go for one sooner rather than later!

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 12:08 AM
    I was an early Leap buyer when they first came out on Amazon. The OS was 10.3.1.2576. The speaker sounded tinny and rattled when turned up high. I ended up returning it for a replacement. The second one was the same. So I returned it for a refund.
    I decided to give it one more try and ordered one from shop BlackBerry. This one I received has OS 10.3.1.2726 and the speaker sounds better than the other one's from Amazon.
    I am thinking that BlackBerry became aware of the speaker issue in the early builds and fixed it? This is definitely a newer unit because it came with a newer OS.
    I am very happy with this one, everything is working great. I am still on the stock OS (10.3.1.2726). I am holding off on upgrading to 10.3.2.680 for now.
    I've always purchased directly from shopblackberry, but these types of responses make me think about Amazon over shopblackberry although I've never had an issue with shopblackberry and have had great customer service from them.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 12:10 AM
    I've always purchased directly from shopblackberry, but these types of responses make me think about Amazon over shopblackberry although I've never had an issue with shopblackberry and have had great customer service from them.
    Maybe you missed my point. The two Leap's I got from Amazon had older software and had lousy sounding speakers. The Leap I bought from shop BlackBerry had newer software and the speaker sounded better.
    Maybe the shop Blackberry units are newer and their inventory is refreshed more often? Anyway, I am happy with the Leap I got from Shop BlackBerry.
    Believe it or not, I ordered the Leap from shop BlackBerry on a Wednesday morning. It shipped out the same day and I got it delivered on Friday! Talk about great service. They are hopefully a much better company to deal with now.
    06-07-15 07:43 AM
    BlackBerry Leap as I received it in India through Infibeam and manufactured in Mexico has been flawless and Great too!

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 08:38 AM
    Maybe you missed my point. The two Leap's I got from Amazon had older software and had lousy sounding speakers. The Leap I bought from shop BlackBerry had newer software and the speaker sounded better.
    Maybe the shop Blackberry units are newer and their inventory is refreshed more often? Anyway, I am happy with the Leap I got from Shop BlackBerry.
    Believe it or not, I ordered the Leap from shop BlackBerry on a Wednesday morning. It shipped out the same day and I got it delivered on Friday! Talk about great service. They are hopefully a much better company to deal with now.
    No, I read your post and got your point :-) Was just pointing out that when it comes to returns and whatnot Amazon cannot be beat. That's basically fact and nothing against shopblackberry.

Between myself and family, I've purchased at least ten devices from shopblackberry and will likely purchase from them again. I don't know, something about purchasing directly through the official BlackBerry channel is my first choice.

I've had great customer service. Paid $449 for a black Passport back in September from them after calling on Saturday and receiving a prompt discount that Monday. Also, their expedited shipping has always been two days, although if I order on a Monday it'll likely ship Tuesday and be at my door Thursday.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like there are that many quality issues with the Leap. The complaints in the Passport section are overwhelming and would make me second guess purchasing one. Glad I did though, been enjoying the Passport for almost 9 months now.

Maybe the speaker issue was hardware, maybe it was the software? Who knows, but seems to be fixed and a non-issue now although I appreciate the feedback on build quality.

Now, I'm just pretty much stuck on what color? If the black was all black I'd go for the white, but kinda digging the grey. Will give my impressions when I do order and what color I decided on.

Almost 100% sure I'm going with the Leap unless shopblackberry pulls a crazy sale on the other devices. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    06-07-15 08:52 AM
    BlackBerry Leap as I received it in India through Infibeam and manufactured in Mexico has been flawless and Great too!

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. Did not know the Leap is also manufactured in Mexico. That's actually another + for me!

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 08:54 AM
    Yeah. Same here. My device was also manufactured in Mexico, just like my Z10 and PlayBook. Except the accessories which are all made and assembled in China.

Not sure if they manufacture their devices somewhere else besides Mexico.

My experience with all the BlackBerry devices manufactured and assembled in Mexico has been good.

Last edited by adonesc; 06-08-15 at 03:44 AM.
    06-07-15 09:53 AM
    Thanks. Did not know the Leap is also manufactured in Mexico. That's actually another + for me!

Posted via CB10
    My Leap from shop BlackBerry was made in "Mexico 6".
    06-07-15 11:01 AM
    Thanks guys! After some reading and thinking, I'm pretty much sold.

Really wish BlackBerry offered at least one device with a removable battery though. Was randomly thinking about this when looking at all of the devices on shopblackberry.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 09:26 PM
    Quick question? I thought that the Leap used a nano-sim, but in the Q and A on Amazon I saw somebody answer it's a micro-sim?

Will look it up, but figured I'd ask those with the device! Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 09:34 PM
    Micro-SIM
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    06-08-15 10:11 PM
    I am very satisfied with the build quality of the Leap I acquired. Really like it.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 07:48 PM
    It's practically a perfect all touch device. So were the Z10 and Z30. Never held a Z3, but I'm sure it's very similar to the Leap. BlackBerry hasn't released a bad all touch device, aside from the Storm launch. However, I loved my BlackBerry Storm too, probably because I got one late and it had been updated and improved by that time. I haven't had a bad experience with any BlackBerry all touch devices I've owned.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 08:20 PM
    Yyyg.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 02:56 AM
    Sad but true.

Posted via CB10
    John Chen probably has very little, if anything, to do with what is used to hold a BlackBerry together.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by buckwylder; 07-11-15 at 12:23 PM.
    07-07-15 08:56 PM