I know consumers and reviewers aren't enthusiastic about this phone. I get it completely. I also understand that it's intended to be directed at young professionals. With that said, could some people not view this phone as a media player directed at the ipod touch crowd? Cheaper than an iPhone, does everything an ipod can, and offers expandable memory to handle more media.

Likewise I think I understand why blackberry priced it how it did. Profit margin with wiggle room. Look at all the people comparing buying a leap to a z30 on sale. Do you not think that the Leap will go on sale occasionally? All previous BB models have, even the passport when I picked it up. So who's to say this won't go on sale often, and closer to the $200 target price we all think it should be at? And yet, they would still make a profit. Better than offering it at $200 then putting it on sale for $150 and make nothing or even selling it for a loss. Thoughts?
    03-16-15 07:29 AM
    Absolutely not. Compared to an iPod Touch, the Leap misses iOS, the additional entertainment functions, especially games, are much more limited on the Leap.
    An entry level Android device would be much better suited for a mobile entertainment device, at least if Apple is out of the question.

The Leap's only targets are businesses which want more price friendly BlackBerry devices.

Posted via CB10
    Jrox74 likes this.
    03-16-15 12:14 PM
    It's a solid device, I have used one for a couple of weeks. Would make a really good work phone that doesn't cost the earth but with best in class keyboard and email/pim. It has an epic battery and the only thing that wasn't awesome was the screen is a little pixelated compared to my passport (I'll be honest it's not as good as the z10 screen (the z10 had such a good screen!))

The software version I was running has only just been leaked and it's fast and stable as hell despite the ageing hardware. I was really pleased with it and feel like everyone has underrated it somewhat.

The main thing it's missing for consumers (and why I think a lot of people have written it off) though is the sex factor. It is a little chunky and solid and it feels like it means business it's just not overly svelte and sexy like other devices.

As I say my gut feeling is that if I was given one by my work I'd be really happy with it and it wouldn't cost businesses a bomb. I dunno if their young professionals thing is really the best pitch but BlackBerry have never been marketing geniuses

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 07:23 PM
    Since you've used one for a while, how does it perform with android apps. Is there still lag or since you have the latest os was it smooth. As well, the basic BlackBerry apps such as calender etc, do they perform quick and smooth with the latest os.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 07:34 PM
    I do think it has a hidden purpose, but certainly not to be a standalone media player. I know BlackBerry has repeatedly claimed this device is targeting "young professionals" but that seems like nonsense to me. The demographic that BlackBerry claims this phone is for are the most spec hungry early adopters there are. I can't see this device being aimed at anything other than emerging markets. It isn't as en vogue as it once was to announce plans to target emerging markets (thanks a lot South American countries), but it's still odd that they wouldn't just come out and call it what it is.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 03:39 AM
    The leap is solely released for enterprise people. People still use iPhone 5 and 5c and for them they can buy the leap at relatively lower price.
    I don't think it will sell good enough for anyone else.
    It doesn't have good processor, display and camera at the price of 275$.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 05:57 AM
    The leap is solely released for enterprise people. People still use iPhone 5 and 5c and for them they can buy the leap at relatively lower price.
    I don't think it will sell good enough for anyone else.
    It doesn't have good processor, display and camera at the price of 275$.

Posted via CB10
    It has specs almost identical to a z10, except a much better battery life.
    I don't see the problem here. My z10 was never slow and many users on this site are still loving their z10.
    It will definitely be a good competitor to the business users who have been handed the joke of a phone a 5c is...
    03-17-15 08:54 AM
    It has specs almost identical to a z10, except a much better battery life.
    I don't see the problem here. My z10 was never slow and many users on this site are still loving their z10.
    It will definitely be a good competitor to the business users who have been handed the joke of a phone a 5c is...
    You mean the joke of a phone they all choose to use over a bb? Guess the jokes on you.
    techvisor and WanShark69 like this.
    03-17-15 09:15 AM
    BlackBerry Z30 has Paratek Antenna, I think for the built quality, Z30 of course will be the winner, the sound of Z30 is also better than the leap.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 09:27 AM
    Since you've used one for a while, how does it perform with android apps. Is there still lag or since you have the latest os was it smooth. As well, the basic BlackBerry apps such as calender etc, do they perform quick and smooth with the latest os.

Posted via CB10
    It was perfectly serviceable. Android app performance is really good on the latest OS considering the hardware. Native apps are perfect, android apps have the odd slight lag but resume near instantaneously from being minimised and the interface is responsive straight away. It's not quite as smooth as a moto g for android but native performance is top notch. It also helps bb10 has pretty nice transitions etc so lag never feels too bad.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 09:51 AM
    It's a solid device, I have used one for a couple of weeks. Would make a really good work phone that doesn't cost the earth but with best in class keyboard and email/pim. It has an epic battery and the only thing that wasn't awesome was the screen is a little pixelated compared to my passport (I'll be honest it's not as good as the z10 screen (the z10 had such a good screen!))

The software version I was running has only just been leaked and it's fast and stable as hell despite the ageing hardware. I was really pleased with it and feel like everyone has underrated it somewhat.

The main thing it's missing for consumers (and why I think a lot of people have written it off) though is the sex factor. It is a little chunky and solid and it feels like it means business it's just not overly svelte and sexy like other devices.

As I say my gut feeling is that if I was given one by my work I'd be really happy with it and it wouldn't cost businesses a bomb. I dunno if their young professionals thing is really the best pitch but BlackBerry have never been marketing geniuses

Posted via CB10
    Never been a marketing geniuses?!? What about:

Oh wait nobody ever saw that commercial that didnt search for it, instead we got some kind of super bowl commercial that I think had something to do with an elephant....

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 10:12 PM
    Nice Video. Swipe up to accept call. WooW.

Z10 LE 10.2.2.1609
    03-20-15 07:54 AM
    Nice Video. Swipe up to accept call. WooW.

Z10 LE 10.2.2.1609
    Probably the only thing I miss from 10.0 (10.1?) wish they would've left the option to choose how you answer...

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 09:33 AM
    Never been a marketing geniuses?!? What about:

Oh wait nobody ever saw that commercial that didnt search for it, instead we got some kind of super bowl commercial that I think had something to do with an elephant....

Posted via CB10
    As I watched the unofficial ad again, wow, it's goosebump experience. It's one of the best ad ever created. Never mind that BB10 10.0 was a mess, never mind that the 'apps' never really came in reality, the ad put BlackBerry 10 and Z10 in the best possible light. Ah...the BlackBerry tragedy.
    03-20-15 11:53 AM
    I see video call in the ad. Was it there in 10.0?

Posted via Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2582
    03-21-15 10:20 AM
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 02:43 PM
    Probably the only thing I miss from 10.0 (10.1?) wish they would've left the option to choose how you answer...

Posted via CB10
    Indeed! And option adobe Flash browser yes or no. And option adblocker yes or no. Always start in private mode yes or no. And and and

Z10 LE 10.2.2.1609
    03-25-15 04:06 AM