BlackBerry Rio �Z20″*full spec sheet is apparently now available at N4BB.... Lucas Atkins column !

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    12-23-14 05:59 AM
    Yesterday, the BlackBerry Rio �Z20″*full spec sheet, which has shown*it is actually a mid-range smartphone, was revealed. Now, we exclusively have*your first look*at the Rio�s ornamental design.

BlackBerry is touting the Rio as suitable for, �Power Pros who want to be considered by others as being current with technology, yet cost is a major consideration in their purchase decision.�

�I�m just getting started, but I�m ambitious and out to win and need a phone that will give me the competitive edge,� is apparently how BlackBerry*sees the target audience for the Rio.

As we revealed with the Rio specs, the device is an evolution of the �Manitoba� Z3 LTE (which was canceled) and is why the Rio looks nearly identical. We will likely see the Rio targeted to customers in EMEA, LATAM, and perhaps parts of APAC.

The Rio may sadly not*get pushed to carriers in North America. However, we�re hoping BlackBerry will make it available for purchase on ShopBlackBerry for limited availability to those customers in America and Canada. What is going to*be the most important consideration for the Rio is its price-point.

The BlackBerry Z30 had apparently sold quite well during the Black Friday sale sticker price of $225 USD. If BlackBerry can sustainably offer the Rio around the same price target of sub $300, the device might be able to attract current and/or new users.

The Rio is expected to release by February 2015. Additionally, the Rio will be available in a white iteration:

As a recap, the Rio will sport a 5� 1280 x 720 display, 8 MP RF camera, 2MP FF camera, 2800 mAh Battery (Same size as competition flagships, Targeting 19 hours of battery life), and a Dual core 1.5 GHz processor.

There are some noticeable design differences between the Rio and the Z3. The Rio has an elongated glass panel for the camera. The speaker port is also larger on the Rio than on the Z3. Otherwise, the ornamental design of both devices is*quite familiar.

The Rio is BlackBerry�s first smartphone planned for release in 2015. The BlackBerry portfolio will consist of the Porsche Design P�9983, Passport, Classic, and Rio through the first half of 2015. Meaning, there are no other new devices besides the Rio scheduled for launch in Q1 or Q2 of 2015.

12-23-14 06:00 AM
    Poopie flavored lollipop. Give me 2k or 4k resolution, give me the camera, give me the processor and 32mb of memory. 64 bit processing.

Z10
    tanzarian likes this.
    12-23-14 06:16 AM
    Poopie flavored lollipop. Give me 2k or 4k resolution, give me the camera, give me the processor and 32mb of memory. 64 bit processing.

Z10
    Where is my Z50?

tanzarian likes this.
    12-23-14 07:10 AM
    Honestly most peoples disappointment raises from the fact we're wondering where the flagship touch is.....This touch screen is fine for the ultra budget conscious but where is the flagship touch screen.

It's becoming a real problem for the fans and BlackBerry is risking alienating a large portion of its early BB10 adopters.

Z30 (10.3.1)
    tanzarian likes this.
    12-23-14 04:06 PM
    This Z20 is absolutely nonsense. I really hope that those rumors are not true. We need a full touch with at least Passport specs.
    12-23-14 04:12 PM
    Exactly. Releasing a phone just to release a phone. I'll never understand BlackBerry's business model. Releasing a phone with old specs that majority of current z10 owners don't want and z30 owners aren't going to change for. I'm not buying anything that's old news.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 01:33 AM
    Exactly. Releasing a phone just to release a phone. I'll never understand BlackBerry's business model. Releasing a phone with old specs that majority of current z10 owners don't want and z30 owners aren't going to change for. I'm not buying anything that's old news.

Posted via CB10
    Fully agree with what you have said.

Z10 users are not going to do a "side ways upgrade" to a device that IMO looks worse than a Z10.

Z30 users are definitely not going to "downgrade" to the "RIO".

The only chance of people buying this device is if they are currently Z3 owners and new customers to BlackBerry. But that being said. Z3 users have only had their device for about 1 year so their contracts will not be ready for an upgrade for another year... so yeah. I don't think this is a good move by BlackBerry.

They should rather release a Z30 equivalent so that Z10 users can upgrade and then release a Z30 upgrade later in the year?

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3442
    12-24-14 01:53 AM
    Hopefully they just scrap it and stop making stickers as well and start concentrating on whats really important

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    12-24-14 02:18 AM
    The thing that I find most annoying about this phone is that BlackBerry is acting like their remaining customers are to busy blindly following BlackBerry to see that this phone is a z10- z30 2 years later with no upgrades at all. I'm fine with releasing a new phone if it has a place it the market but this doesn't. This phone is only going to hold up the further development of BlackBerry 10. For those of you that say specs don't matter imagine this, think of what BlackBerry could have done will QNX and bb 10 if they weren't limited by there old (and frankly sh*t hardware). The best example is iPhone apple barely touches the specs each generation and now it's starting to show, software updates are buggy on old phones and battery life is often terrible(again on 1 Gen old phones). Meanwhile Android steams ahead adding more and more while keeping their phones on par or better despite the sh*tty kernel Android is built on. All I'm trying to say is specs always matter eventually and if BlackBerry is returning to the arrogance about their products and customers that caused the first mass exodus maybe it's time for a second.
    12-24-14 02:35 AM
    Blackberry sure loves to throw money away. I guess that's why bankrupt is their middle name
    12-24-14 02:41 AM
    12-24-14 02:45 AM