I ordered the leap on Monday 05/04/15 and received it on Tuesday 05/05/15 through Amazon prime, I was deciding between a z30 for 225.00 or the leap for 275 and took the leap as they say (a little Blackberry humor). I was impressed when I opened the box, the phone felt solid and well built. As always, I set the device up from scratch instead of doing a restore from a previous backup.

The one thing I will say right off the bat is Blackberry should have made the device a nano based sim instead of being micro based because every new phone on the market is nano based and it would made it easier to switch between a iPhone and the leap if you job had issued you one for your work device, but thats water over the bridge.

Once the device was set up with the primary apps I use, I started using it as my daily driver and I was impressed at the call quality and how nice the screen was compared to my older z10 and even my z30, it seemed to be brighter and easier to read on a bright day. the phone was smooth and it did lag a little on some of my sports and news apps I downloaded from the Amazon store, but I expected this because the slower processor, but not a major issue for me.

I use my device for emails, text and phone calls and first and foremost as a communications device and the leap fit the bill in that department. Some of the issues I read with folks having problems with the buttons and such, I did not experience and I am not that critical about stuff like that. As long as they work and are not loose, I don't need a button clicking to tell me its working.

The built quality seems up to par for what they are asking for the device compared to what I have used in the same price range, others may have their own opinions, but this is just mine. I don't use NFC on any of my other devices, so I never really miss the leap not having it.

Maps and navigation, I used the leap and Blackberry maps to navigate to several clients locations and it ran smooth and never really had any major issues with it. Its seemed to work just as fine as any of my Blackberry OS10 device I have had in the past. As far as not having a compass app, I have never used the one on any of my devices in the past, its more of a novelty then a tool for me.

Form factor, the device felt good in my hand and one handed operation was smooth and I have paws for hands. The device is a little heavy, but I feel this adds to the solid feel of the device. This in one issue I have always had with Samsung devices is they felt like a cheap plastic toy in my hand for the money they command for the device. The leap has a nice value added heavy solid feel to it.

Overall I like the leap, the one thing I will say is that the z30 having a faster processor and being it's 50 dollars cheaper may be an issue for some folks wanting to upgrade from their older z10's. But, I understand what Mr Chen was targeting the enterprise customer who would like to upgrade to a all touch instead of a PKB device. I guess we will find out soon enough when the next quarterly results are released. Just my two cents.
    05-11-15 07:59 AM
    Nice review!!

Posted via my awesome Classic
    05-11-15 08:11 AM
    Thanks. Great little review.

A friend of mine just ordered a Leap also upgrading from a Z10 bought at launch.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    05-11-15 08:37 AM
    The one thing I will say right off the bat is Blackberry should have made the device a nano based sim instead of being micro based because every new phone on the market is nano based and it would made it easier to switch between a iPhone and the leap if you job had issued you one for your work device, but thats water over the bridge.
    Food for thought - the reason most budget/worldwide models are Micro-SIM based is because many target markets don't support Nano-SIM (yet).
    05-11-15 09:28 AM
    Food for thought - the reason most budget/worldwide models are Micro-SIM based is because many target markets don't support Nano-SIM (yet).
    Probably right... Nano is pretty new.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    05-11-15 10:22 AM
    OP, very nice review. Are you keeping your Passport or is the Leap going to be your permanent daily driver? For about $10, you can get an S-Adapter that makes your nano sim fit in to a micro sim tray without damaging any of the pins.
    05-11-15 11:53 AM
    Got one for one my employees. Nothing wrong with it. Obviously not quite on par with the Passport's speed, but I found it to be a solidly built the device with a similar snappy and fluent experience as the Z30. Nice and crisp display. Good value for money.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 11:53 AM
    Great review, thanks for sharing!
    05-11-15 01:58 PM
    So to sum things up: Buy the Z30 because it's cheaper and better.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    nick13b and jojo beaconsfield like this.
    05-11-15 02:08 PM
    the dilemma for AT&T customers:
    z30 - no LTE in most areas;
    Leap - full ATT LTE, NO NFC (I think nfc is a great feature) & NO 5ghz Wifi . I think the processor drop isn't a big issue for most users.
    05-11-15 02:56 PM
    So to sum things up: Buy the Z30 because it's cheaper and better.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    The target market is young businesses. Why would they buy a discontinued phone?

Don't how many of you know this but the 30 is long out of production.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Tab 4
    05-11-15 03:27 PM
  12. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Nice review!! LEAP it IS!

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 05:45 PM
    Is it heavier than the z30 or about the same?
    05-11-15 06:19 PM
    Is it heavier than the z30 or about the same?
    Same weight, 170 grams

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Gus; 05-12-15 at 08:13 PM.
    05-11-15 06:37 PM
    Or just buy a triple format sim card for $10. Seems people don't know about them
    05-11-15 06:49 PM
    Same weight, 170 ounces

Posted via CB10
    170 grams. 170 ounces is over 10 lbs. That would be a rough carry.

Posted on CB10 using my Z30 STA 100-5 on OS 10.3.1.2744
    Aaron Marcinkowski likes this.
    05-11-15 11:36 PM

Lol

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 07:56 PM

I corrected the error. The Z30 sure feels like carrying 10 pounds if you're a heavy user.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 08:14 PM
    Nice review.

Until the Z30 stocks are depleted, I don't think the Leap sales will pick up just yet.
    05-13-15 05:41 AM
    Why would they buy a discontinued phone?

Don't how many of you know this but the 30 is long out of production.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Tab 4
    I keep seeing this posted, I ask, look etc but I can get no confirmation.

WHEN was z30 discontinued? "Long out of production"

I was quite sure z30s were still being built TODAY.. hm

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.500
    05-13-15 07:23 AM
    How do you find your battery life? And what os version are you running? I've had my leap for 2 days now and I'm getting the feeling that the battery on my particular leap could be better.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 08:25 AM
    I am getting a full day of typical use and plenty of juice to spare. I am not as critical on battery life as some folks are.

All I expect any of my devices is to give me a solid day of use with some battery life left at the end of my work day, so far the leap has lived up to the task.
    05-13-15 11:46 AM
    ...water *under* the bridge.

If there's water over the bridge, you've got a problem!
    05-13-15 11:56 AM