Hi folks,

Just for kicks, here's a quick comparison of the Z30 and the Leap, two fairly similar all-touch BB devices.

Z30 Leap Leap vs Z30
    Height 140.77 mm 144 mm 2% taller
    Width 72 mm 72.8 mm 1% wider
    Thickness 9.4 mm 9.5 mm 1% thicker
    Screen:Body 68% 65.7% 3% more bezel
    Weight 170 g 170 g Tied
    CPU 1.7 GHz x2 1.5 GHz x2 12% less powerful
    GPU 400 MHz x16 450 MHz x6 58% less powerful
    Battery 2880 mAh 2800 mAh 3% Less capacity

The less powerful battery may be compensated for by the slower CPU, and much less capable GPU - both of which should be fine as long as you don't try to run the latest and greatest android games.
    Last edited by sgosh; 04-27-15 at 04:46 PM.
    cuong205a and onlyoneromeo like this.
    04-26-15 02:21 PM
    You forgot NFC, HDMI... But nice chart!
    04-26-15 02:29 PM
    Hi folks,

Just for kicks, here's a quick comparison of the Z30 and the Leap, two fairly similar all-touch BB devices.

Z30 Leap Leap vs Z30
    Weight 170 g 170 g Tied

The less powerful battery may be compensated for by the slower CPU, and much less capable GPU - both of which should be fine as long as you don't try to run the latest and greatest android games.
    Thanks!! I knew that LEAP s*cks!! Now we got a beautiful chart as a proof! Why don't the startups don't get the Z30???? Leap is looking cheap, extremly cheap with the 8MP Autofocus branding on the back hehehehe!! Come on cheap Chen...give us some good looking quality business phones!! Not that expensive cheap cr*p!
    04-26-15 02:41 PM
    By what comparison do you claim that it sucks? Have you actually used it? Numbers on spec sheets mean nothing if the operation of something is fluid. I find it highly immature to dismiss a product based on mere specs without actually trying it.
    How many use NFC is beyond me. HDMI out as well. I doubt you connect your phone on a TV to watch videos. Miracast exists for that and is supported by the Leap as well. BlackBerry blend exists for messaging control over your tablet or pc or mac. I personally don't find anything missing from the leap except the missconception of people saying it sucks just because of the specs. Really people try to be more open thinking.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 04:09 PM
    Well, I use hdmi out everyday as Miracast is not as good as it should be. For me (important, for me) the Leap is something I don't understand, 'cause a device from 2013 is better...

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 04:12 PM
  6. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Proof is in the use.. and early feedback from ACTUAL LEAP users is they LOVE it....

That's all that matters!

Posted via CB10
    lift, thymaster, bh7171 and 5 others like this.
    04-26-15 06:10 PM
    Why so many haters it's just a phone! I have the leap and it performs well and feels solid. Give it a try before you bash it!

Using my Leap!
    04-26-15 06:47 PM
    Although I don't have any interest in purchasing a Leap, I like it. I'm a passport owner and I'm a one phone type of person. If one day I had the desire to purchase a backup phone, I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up. I know the Z30 is technically better specced, but the screen was always a factor in not getting one. Too dim for my taste. Was actually the reason I didn't come to BlackBerry sooner.

Anyway, enjoy your phone, Leap users. From what I've read, seems so far that everyone likes theirs. I wouldn't mind trying one out in person just to get a feel for the device.

Posted via CB10
    TLD1 likes this.
    04-26-15 06:53 PM
    I think the leap would have been a fantastic device IF it didn't have the giant bezels. I really don't understand why it has those monster bezels?!
    tuxedo323 likes this.
    04-26-15 08:18 PM
    Hi folks,

Z30 Leap Leap vs Z30
    Weight 170 g 170 g Tied

Thanks for the chart but you left out one very important spec.; LTE bands. The Leap floors the Z30 in NEEDED LTE bands in the USA.
    04-26-15 09:04 PM
    How about the leap vs z30 speakers?
    Also the screens, isn't leap lcd?
    Anybody have a preference?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.500
    04-26-15 09:18 PM
    Thanks for the chart but you left out one very important spec.; LTE bands. The Leap floors the Z30 in NEEDED LTE bands in the USA.
    True!

Q10 SQN100-1- OS 10.3.1.2558 ... on its 3rd keyboard.
    04-26-15 09:43 PM
    I think I would be well served by a Leap. Nothing I do is particularly CPU or GPU intensive (I'm not a gamer).

Don't take the chart too seriously. As has been pointed out, specs are neat, but what matters most is how the phone performs at all the tasks it's userbase will subject it to. For BB, that's primarily communication, with a side order of a/v media on a plane or train.

BB10 seems very efficiently coded, and well matched to the lower-specs in phones like Z3, Z10, Q5, Q10 and Z30.

I have to admit, the Leap is growing on me, and it could very well become my next phone. I'm ready to give up a PKB (double type issues really soured my desire for another).

Q10 SQN100-1- OS 10.3.1.2558 ... on its 3rd keyboard.
    ddsdude96 and Bbnivende like this.
    04-26-15 09:50 PM
    The Leap, as a Q5, is not meant to be a flagship phone, thus not required to have better specs than the Z30.

Does it Suck? Only if you decide it does. It's focus is the enterprise market and I don't see those specs failing that target audience. The lack of NFC and HDMI port though, those I'd complain about.

I look at the chart as a "here's what's different" not a "here who one is better".

But hey, what do I know...
    cdnrower, mighthor and bungaboy like this.
    04-27-15 09:49 AM
    The Leap, as a Q5, is not meant to be a flagship phone, thus not required to have better specs than the Z30.

Does it Suck? Only if you decide it does. It's focus is the enterprise market and I don't see those specs failing that target audience. The lack of NFC and HDMI port though, those I'd complain about.

I look at the chart as a "here's what's different" not a "here who one is better".

But hey, what do I know...
    But really though.. isn't the z30 superior in almost every way? (read lte bands are diff) And doesn't z30 cost less?
    I'm having a tough time figuring out why someone (especially business users who should obviously be trying to get the most bank for their buck) would choose to pay $50 more for leap > z30?

04-27-15 10:18 AM
    Thanks!! I knew that LEAP s*cks!! Now we got a beautiful chart as a proof! Why don't the startups don't get the Z30???? Leap is looking cheap, extremly cheap with the 8MP Autofocus branding on the back hehehehe!! Come on cheap Chen...give us some good looking quality business phones!! Not that expensive cheap cr*p!
    Oh, please.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    04-27-15 12:18 PM
    Well, I use hdmi out everyday as Miracast is not as good as it should be. For me (important, for me) the Leap is something I don't understand, 'cause a device from 2013 is better...

Posted via CB10
    Who's to say what's better? It's a trade off. A solid performing phone for a specific demographic for a very reasonable price. The specs may not be that cutting edge, but they work very well for what this specific device is meant to be. I have one and love it because it does what I need it to do and it has a gorgeous display to look at while I'm doing it. If I wanted to game or multitask my **** off, I would probably look elsewhere, and pony up to get the required horsepower.

All the haters seem to feel as if Blackberry owes them the best touchscreen upgrade possible, when I'm sure Chen & Co are more interested in tapping into a market they can successfully exploit to keep BlackBerry solvent and the shareholders happy. And, no doubt, if the demand is such that another high end touchscreen device is warranted, it will happen. If your patience is wearing thin, there are plenty of other companies that would love to take your $600-800 and put you in spec heaven.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    bh7171 likes this.
    04-27-15 02:01 PM
    Pet peeve:

These are specs (specifications) , not stats (statistics).

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    diegonei and bungaboy like this.
    04-27-15 02:13 PM
    Z30 all the way !

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    04-27-15 02:20 PM
    H
    By what comparison do you claim that it sucks? Have you actually used it? Numbers on spec sheets mean nothing if the operation of something is fluid. I find it highly immature to dismiss a product based on mere specs without actually trying it.
    How many use NFC is beyond me. HDMI out as well. I doubt you connect your phone on a TV to watch videos. Miracast exists for that and is supported by the Leap as well. BlackBerry blend exists for messaging control over your tablet or pc or mac. I personally don't find anything missing from the leap except the missconception of people saying it sucks just because of the specs. Really people try to be more open thinking.

Posted via CB10
    Agree 100%. Specs do not necessarily mean a phone will perform badly... iPhone and iPads should be irrelevant hardware If we go by this logic. Similarly, I have no doubt the leap has optimised to run 10.3.1 and future updates with current specs... I have a z30 and am thinking of getting the leap while I wait for the high end slider or all touch. I know it isn't much of an upgrade.. But the z30 is really starting to lag now.

For example I answer a call and it is a good 2 second delay before the screen changes to active call status...Same when making a phone call..

I am wondering if despite it's specs... It just isn't optimised for 10.3. Some will say this is bs I am sure... And I am no expert at all! But I have seen people start threads with similar issues on their z30's.

Maybe the leap won't suffer these issues?
    diegonei and Konfucius18 like this.
    04-27-15 03:22 PM
    But really though.. isn't the z30 superior in almost every way? (read lte bands are diff) And doesn't z30 cost less?
    I'm having a tough time figuring out why someone (especially business users who should obviously be trying to get the most bank for their buck) would choose to pay $50 more for leap > z30?

Of course the Z30 is better. The Z30 is cheaper now (wow, $50!). It's also not going to be produced for long.

And to be perfectly honest: Most business users will be more than perfectly satisfied with the Leap. They don't have time for doing bull**** on their phones, hence no need for better specs.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-27-15 04:40 PM
    Pet peeve:

These are specs (specifications) , not stats (statistics).

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    100% correct! Updated topic. Thanks.
    04-27-15 04:46 PM
    Of course the Z30 is better. The Z30 is cheaper now (wow, $50!). It's also not going to be produced for long.

And to be perfectly honest: Most business users will be more than perfectly satisfied with the Leap. They don't have time for doing bull**** on their phones, hence no need for better specs.
    It's not about being satisfied, it's about cost.
    Msrp, the leap is less. But staples canada has had the z30 on sale here non stop for months now at 299 (leap Canada msrp 349)
    I don't know how much it costs to produce the z30, but they've gone out of stock quite a few times recently. I imagine BlackBerry is still producing new ones, implying they are able to produce and sell them at 229usd. (I definitely could be wrong, possible all these z30s are overstock)

Z30 is = or > leap in every way, isn't it?

(USD)
    At 275 vs 230 (45 difference)..
    If you have a company with 10 people, that's 2750 +tax vs 2300+tax. The leap is a 19% increase in price over the z30

10 leaps/2750 vs 12 z30/2760
    10 z30/2300 vs 8 leaps/2200

The only person that wins when people but a leap.. is BlackBerry. Am I wrong?
    If you were a salesperson, which phone should I buy? Z30 cost less for more, leap cost more for less.
    Isn't the only question "do you like burning money?"

Bor Navas likes this.
    04-27-15 04:57 PM
    You missed the fact the Z30 is 2 years old and won't be on sale for much longer.

Otherwise, yeah, you're right, no debate there.

I'm not telling anyone to get Leaps. I honestly only have a Z30 because I could sell my Z10 for the price a dude was asking on his used one.

I'm waiting for something better. And they DIDN'T promise me the Leap was it. So I'm not bothered. I'd be if they had, but they didn't. All people annooyed at the Leap missed the point on the niche it is targeting.
    04-27-15 05:03 PM
    You missed the fact the Z30 is 2 years old and won't be on sale for much longer.

Otherwise, yeah, you're right, no debate there.

I'm not telling anyone to get Leaps. I honestly only have a Z30 because I could sell my Z10 for the price a dude was asking on his used one.

I'm waiting for something better. And they DIDN'T promise me the Leap was it. So I'm not bothered. I'd be if they had, but they didn't. All people annooyed at the Leap missed the point on the niche it is targeting.
    I didn't miss that part.
    "I don't know how much it costs to produce the z30, but they've gone out of stock quite a few times recently. I imagine BlackBerry is still producing new ones, implying they are able to produce and sell them at 229usd. (I definitely could be wrong, possible all these z30s are overstock) "

Does the z30 have an EOL date, or?

"The only person that wins when people buy a leap.. is BlackBerry. Am I wrong?
    If you were a salesperson, which phone should I buy? Z30 cost less for more, leap cost more for less.
    Isn't the only question "do you like burning money?""

What niche is it targeting? (z3 owners.. is that all?)
    Last edited by nah.uhh; 04-28-15 at 01:05 AM.
    diegonei likes this.
    04-27-15 05:25 PM
106 123 ...