1. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Wrong assumptions..

. a wide variety of consumers are buying the LEAP including first time blackberry users, and those coming from Z10, Z30, Passport to name a few....

Great phone at awesome price...

Posted via CB10
    wolfpacal, lift, nah.uhh and 1 others like this.
    04-27-15 06:01 PM
    What niche is it targeting? (z3 owners.. is that all?)<< that is my question.
    Business. It's like the Curves of old. Cheap with just enough features. It's not a Z3 upgrade. It's not a Z10 upgrade and absolutely is not targeting "high end" BlackBerry users.
    anon(7915689) likes this.
    04-27-15 06:11 PM
    The z30 is better and cheaper.
    04-27-15 06:13 PM
    The z30 is better and cheaper.
    Have you tried a leap?

Using my Leap!
    04-27-15 06:23 PM
    Business. It's like the Curves of old. Cheap with just enough features. It's not a Z3 upgrade. It's not a Z10 upgrade and absolutely is not targeting "high end" BlackBerry users.
    What kind business would make business decisions (today) like purchasing 8 inferior leaps vs 10 superior z30s?
    A charity?
    Ahhh I c!!
    So that's why Canada loaned vodaphone $750m of taxpayer dollars for them to purchase BlackBerry products.
    Spain $260m to purchase BlackBerry devices with.
    Ontario Teacher pension plan is one of BlackBerry top 10 shareholders.

Charity. Makes sense

You can't just say business.. there os 0 reasons to but a leap over a z30.. CONSUMERS might spend more money for no reason.. but a BUSINESS decision usually involves getting the most return for your dollar.
    Maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe businesses try to overpay for products and services on their quest for bankruptcy.
    (.. and the curves of old [8500 9300], we're what killed BlackBerry for consumers in the first place. The curve 83xx was best in class. The curve 8900 was best in class. The 8900 was best in class and was the consumer answer to the 9000. Both of these phone kicked the iphones behind, in society. This was when holsters were still popular with popular people. It was when people up[down]graded from the 8900 to the 85 and 93s, lost that 3.2mp af camera, flash[light] on repackaged 8300s that the "blackberry sucks, have garbage cameras" etc comments all came from )

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.500
    Last edited by nah.uhh; 04-27-15 at 06:39 PM.
    04-27-15 06:25 PM
    Have you tried a leap?

Using my Leap!
    Hey you have a leap? How are your speakers/speakerphone? I heard z30 is absolutely amazing.

JosevuN3 likes this.
    04-27-15 06:30 PM

Z30 screen is more beautiful than passport in full brightness settings. Amoled is better in my preference. Z30 has great signal reception and sound quality in call or for listening music on speakerphone. Leap screen resolution almost the same as BlackBerry Z10. Z10 pixel density is higher 356 vs 294 on leap. So for you guys haven't seen leap, Z10 screen is better. BlackBerry Z30 is the best BlackBerry device ever made in my opinion. Settle not to leap if your country LTE is compatible with Z30 or just use 3G with Z30 and have better experiences with BlackBerry

Bigger battery longer lifetime ? Z30 is a winner than passport in longer lifetime per charge. I am using 10.3.2.500 in both devices.
    04-27-15 06:58 PM
    Whatever dude. Come back when you learn to discuss things like a grown up.
    04-27-15 10:40 PM
    Whatever dude. Come back when you learn to discuss things like a grown up.
    ?
    That wasn't sarcasm.. and cmon "dude", if you like grown ups so badly you should take your own advice. I'm not going to "grow up" because some "dude" wants me to.

Anyway, seriously
    I think I know what niche/ type of business you're talking about. A charity! Can you name another type of business that would knowingly spend more money for less?

BlackBerry received over 1billion worth of donations via proxy from the Canadian government.

Let's say.. BlackBerry sold 1 million leaps (hypothetically) ..Well Canada DID give one telecom company 250million and another 850m (750 for devices) in advance.. 250m is almost enough to buy 1 million leaps at msrp lol.

I wonder if BlackBerry will ever tell the numbers on how much of their cash /how many of the sold devices didn't come came from guaranteed sales via the government of Canada earmarking 1.1billion dollars for BlackBerry devices.

"The five-year financing, to be announced Tuesday, is being made at �commercial terms,� but the rate is confidential, said Todd Winterhalt, EDC�s vice-president of international development.

Vodafone has been one of BlackBerry�s largest customers since it began selling the company�s smartphones to its business clientele in the early 2000s."

How can you call yourself a customer when you only buy devices because you're given the money and told to buy the devices? Vodaphone didn't BUY BlackBerry's with that 850m.. Canada did.. Vodaphone just sold them.

Last edited by nah.uhh; 04-27-15 at 11:22 PM.
    04-27-15 11:07 PM
    I get that the Leap is not a high-end or even mid-range upgrade. And I understand that specs are not the end all and be all for the average consumer.

But if the Leap's selling factor is its price point, then buying a phone with 2 year old insides, and with even less features than the Z10 and Z30...then aren't you as a consumer getting shafted and taken for a ride?!

You are basically getting a Z10- , two years later in terms of specs and price! So how is this a "new" phone?!

A larger screen and battery are not factors that make a phone "new".

Personally I never had a problem with the 4.2' screen of the Z10. And in terms of battery life for the Z10...I bought a BlackBerry mobile charger...so problem solved!

So how is the Leap a "new" device again?!

Cartman says: Screw you guys I'm going home!
    Bor Navas and nah.uhh like this.
    04-28-15 12:02 AM
    No NFC is a dealbreaker for me. It's a pity, I actually considered the Leap as my Z30 is on its last days from a hard fall and I don't want to pay for the same phone twice. It's a nifty thing to have and I use it way more than all the other "features" people tout on the Z30 (USB OTG, HDMI, paratek antenna, supposedly better sound). I use NFC for all kinds of pairing features with the other devices I have including laptops, tablets, audio devices and smart tags, as well as mobile payments through UGO wallet and CIBC which I now use as a daily function.

Cutting NFC is a horrible decision. I'll give BlackBerry one last chance and take a shot at the Classic as the Leap is really a joke. My 2011 Curve 9360 had NFC.
    04-28-15 02:51 AM
    For what it's worth, I snagged a "free" Z30 through Rogers, by going through their retention (press # if you want to disconnect services) line. It should arrive in the next day or two.

I would have gone with the Leap, if it were in stock and "free."

Either way, no more PKB. This is a big step for a former die-hard hardware keyboard fan! If I hate the Z30, I can always revert back to the Q10.

Q10 SQN100-1- OS 10.3.1.2558 ... on its 3rd keyboard.
    04-28-15 08:46 AM
    There needs to be a giant sign at the top of this section that says: Wondering why the Leap has less features than the Z30? Because the Z30 launched at over $700 and the Leap launched at half of that. While the Z30 may be cheap now, it is also discontinued and no longer in production and was not cheap at launch.
    Last edited by Thalestr; 04-28-15 at 05:09 PM.
    04-28-15 04:10 PM
    Let's say.. BlackBerry sold 1 million leaps (hypothetically) ..Well Canada DID give one telecom company 250million and another 850m (750 for devices) in advance.. 250m is almost enough to buy 1 million leaps at msrp lol.
    This shows your lack of business knowledge. When you're talking about business, why would you even consider that they are buying at MSRP? For a young entrepreneur buying their own phone, yes MSRP, but a company buying in bulk, not even close. This is why I think Chen priced the leap the way he did, was to give wiggle room from the discounts

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 04:56 PM
    I think the leap would have been a fantastic device IF it didn't have the giant bezels. I really don't understand why it has those monster bezels?!
    To fit all the components inside it.

Duh...

Posted from BlackBerry Z10.
    04-29-15 10:09 AM
    To fit all the components inside it.

Duh...

Posted from BlackBerry Z10.
    Bigger bezels make swiping easier and more consistent too.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    04-29-15 10:49 AM
    Bigger bezels make swiping easier and more consistent too.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    That's true. But the reason for the chunky bezels is likely cost-related.

Q10 SQN100-1- OS 10.3.1.2558 ... on its 3rd keyboard.
    04-29-15 10:44 PM
    What are you guys talking about? Leap is a great product for its purpose.

And let me say this: all BlackBerry products are great for their intended purpose, including Playbook and Storm.

BlackBerry has never failed on achieving their intended purposes, do those purposes meet the market demand? Well, that's a different story BUT let�s not get side track from the topic here: there will always be a small group of faithfuls loving whatever products BlackBerry pushes out, so BlackBerry can do no wrong for all people. Let�s stop blaming BlackBerry for a product you don't like but go back to the sub forums of the device you like and enjoy the group love atmosphere we created there.

The only people can complain across forums are the Z50 lovers who doesn't have a sub forum to go to.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-30-15 09:52 AM
    Man, that's just a fanboisme gibberish. Every BlackBerry products are great ? Come on be realistic

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 04:23 PM
    Man, that's just a fanboisme gibberish. Every BlackBerry products are great ? Come on be realistic

Posted via CB10
    Great for their intended purpose, just as he said.....

Posted via Z10
    04-30-15 06:41 PM
    Great for their intended purpose, just as he said.....

Posted via Z10
    That is correct!
    05-08-15 03:47 PM
    I think that the Leap is a preety good phone. Don't have one, but can't wait when it shows in my country to buy. I had Z30 for the last two years, but decided to change for sth new. As for me Leap seems to be a perfect phone. I think that before we buy a new phone we should think what do we need it for?! And then make decision.
    I was using my Z30 for phonecalls, sms, emails, mobile bakning apps, some maps and navigation, ebay sometimes, internet browsing, music, quick photos, some other apps like appy geek, FB, Ln, calendar, calculator, etc.
    And now I truly believe that the Leap will perform exacly the same, don't you think? I understand that the price may be a little too high for this phone, yet it's Blackberry and I expect a good working phone (workhorse)!
    05-11-15 06:38 AM
    The Leap, as a Q5, is not meant to be a flagship phone, thus not required to have better specs than the Z30.
    But you can get a Z30 for cheaper....

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    05-11-15 02:15 PM
    Great for their intended purpose, just as he said....
    By that you mean an expensive paperweight?

05-11-15 02:19 PM
    By that you mean an expensive paperweight?

Do you actually have a Leap? I have had a few Z30's when I was on Verizon here in the US. The Z30 is a great phone but it is far from perfect as some people like to claim it is.
    The Leap is a well built and nice phone. It feels solid and works great. Is it better than the Z30? That depends. In the US, the unlocked Z30 from shop BlackBerry is almost useless if you want fast data speeds and good LTE coverage. The Z30 is missing AT&T's MAIN LTE band (17). The Z30 is also missing AT&T's popular band 2 LTE which T-Mobile is also heavily using to improve their coverage all across the US. So to sum it up, The Z30 is almost useless in the US for good LTE coverage on T-Mobile and AT&T. The leap has FAR better LTE coverage than the Z30. The Z30 also uses an AMOLED screen. The Leap uses an LCD which is better. So when it came time for me to buy another all touch BlackBerry to use on T-Mobile or AT&T, there was no question in my mind that the Leap was the better choice.
    bruce73 likes this.
    05-11-15 03:14 PM
106 1234 ...