Hi

Posting on behalf of a friend who is not part of this community. He is interested in buying a blackberry. He has narrowed down his search to a Q10 or a Leap. Just wanted to check if anyone has moved from the Q10 to the Leap and could share their feedback.

His main concerns are:

1. Will there be a major difference in user experience between both the phones
    2. He is worried about eventually having to repair the Q10 keyboard
    3. Since the Leap battery is non removable, is there a way to eventually change the battery.

He will use the phone for calling, texting and emailing and maybe Spotify.

Thanks in advance.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-21-16 08:17 AM
    Hi

Posting on behalf of a friend who is not part of this community. He is interested in buying a blackberry. He has narrowed down his search to a Q10 or a Leap. Just wanted to check if anyone has moved from the Q10 to the Leap and could share their feedback.

His main concerns are:

1. Will there be a major difference in user experience between both the phones
    2. He is worried about eventually having to repair the Q10 keyboard
    3. Since the Leap battery is non removable, is there a way to eventually change the battery.

He will use the phone for calling, texting and emailing and maybe Spotify.

Thanks in advance.

Basically the same phone when it comes to the CHIP and software..

1) One is a PKB device with a small touch display, the other has a large all touch display.
    2) Could be an issue
    3) If it goes bad, it could be replaced... it's just not a matter of popping out a battery and popping in a new one.

Personally I'd make it a choice between the Classic and the LEAP... Does your friend use a traditional BlackBerry, if so the Classic might be the route to go.
    06-21-16 08:28 AM
    Basically the same phone when it comes to the CHIP and software..

1) One is a PKB device with a small touch display, the other has a large all touch display.
    2) Could be an issue
    3) If it goes bad, it could be replaced... it's just not a matter of popping out a battery and popping in a new one.

Personally I'd make it a choice between the Classic and the LEAP... Does your friend use a traditional BlackBerry, if so the Classic might be the route to go.
    Thanks.

He is comfortable on both form factors.

The reason he has narrowed it down to Q10 and Leap is price. They can be bought for around the same price. The Classic seems to be a bit pricey. He isn't looking to drop too much on this phone considering he will use it with his Iphone. I had actually suggested the Passport before I knew his budget.

06-21-16 08:43 AM
    Well if you has an iPhone for content... and this new phone is just of texting and emails, the PKB is ideal for that.

But I'm a VKB lover and I'd choose the LEAP...
    06-21-16 08:49 AM
    Well if you has an iPhone for content... and this new phone is just of texting and emails, the PKB is ideal for that.

But I'm a VKB lover and I'd choose the LEAP...
    Thanks.

I think it comes down to choosing what means more to him from the below:

Removable battery on Q10 vs Newer hardware on the Leap ( considering it is a recent phone compared to the Q10)

06-21-16 08:56 AM
    The keyboard on the Q10 can be easily replaced. I did it on 2 BlackBerry q10 and I am not at all an expert on dismantling things. But I was really succesful.

For sure q10 has the advantage of the removable battery, but the Leap has an incredibly long lasting battery, even comparing to the q10 that is already good.

I have both the devices and I love both of them, although now using a passport.

Unless your friend prefer a small device I would go for the Leap. For the q10 I love the small size, and the compass, that it insted absent in the Leap!

Posted via CB10
    06-21-16 09:01 AM
    Thanks.

I think it comes down to choosing what means more to him from the below:

Removable battery on Q10 vs Newer hardware on the Leap ( considering it is a recent phone compared to the Q10)

You would think that the LEAP being two years newer it would have different hardware.... but you'd be wrong.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    06-21-16 09:03 AM
    The hardware is the same in terms of speed and power.

It basically just comes down to Form factor. I had a Q10 and switched to a Leap because I wanted the 16:9 aspect ratio that most apps are designed to run on.

If your friend is going to use the phone mainly for messaging, the Q10 will do a great job, has a good physical keyboard, plus has NFC and other sensors that are absent on the Leap.

I thought I would never give up the physical keyboard, but the virtual BlackBerry keyboard is so good, I now wouldn't switch back. I find it super convenient to swipe back to erase a word, swipe down to get additional characters, flick predicted words etc. It's an awesome typing experience on the VK.

The battery life on the Leap is fantastic. I used to carry two batteries and swap then with my Q10, but the Leap can get me through a full day of heavy use. Most days with moderate use I get between a day and a half and 2 full days. My average battery life is sitting at 1 day 19 hours right now.

If they're going to have another phone (iPhone) then they would probably do best with the Q10, being smaller and easier to carry around.

Although phone for phone, IMHO, I prefer the Leap.

Posted via CB10
    blualessandro likes this.
    06-21-16 10:00 AM
    Depends on size and form factor that one wants.

Q10 has the BlackBerry physical keyboard, compact size, removable battery, 5 ghz WiFi, hdmi and other features the Leap doesn't have.

The Leap appears to be a standard slab phone that 99% of the market says what a phone should look like with just the bare bones essentials.

I just am using my new Leap for the first time today and so far I am impressed. This is my first post.

Either phone will work great. Two different answers to the same question.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-16 10:20 PM
    Given the usage described, I would recommend the Q10. Throw an SD card in to maximize music and video storage (not on iPhone) small form factor makes it an excellent mp3 player, micro HDMI for playing video to larger screen (not on iPhone). Great keyboard for messaging (not on iPhone). Replaceable battery (not on iPhone). Built in FM radio (not on iPhone). NFC (not until iPhone 6 and up).

Posted via CB10
    06-24-16 12:35 PM
    I would recommend the Q10 since the guy already has an iphone for media. I have a Q10 and an ipod touch combo. I use the Q10 for mainly messaging and emails. The ipod for media consumption. The Q has good speakers too. the replacable battery is also a plus.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-16 08:30 PM
    Update

He went ahead and bought a Leap. It was available for �68 from Amazon. Too good a deal to ignore.

06-25-16 07:13 AM
    Update

He went ahead and bought a Leap. It was available for �68 from Amazon. Too good a deal to ignore.

Cool! Keep us updated on how he likes it

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 06:20 AM
    Will do. The phone is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

06-26-16 07:51 AM
    Will do. The phone is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Good choice and you will not regret. I got one as a spare a while ago and was really impressed with its quality and speed.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 07:48 PM
    Update

So the phone arrived one day late. Just a small scratch near the charging port.

My friend didn't dislike the phone, but realised he wanted a pkb after playing with the leap.

Meanwhile I played with the leap and loved it. So we decided to swap phones- my Q10 for his Leap.

Don't regret it to be honest. As much as I love a pkb and the ability to swap batteries, the battery life and smoothness of the OS on the Leap convinced me to go for the trade. Additionally the added screen real estate comes in handy.

Thanks again for all the help.

Posted via CB10
    ChrisLeNeve likes this.
    07-05-16 05:13 AM
    You have a good friend

Posted via CB10
    07-07-16 11:21 AM