I have the opportunity to upgrade for free to a Leap, but I am extremely concerned about the virtual keypad. I use a Q10 right now and really enjoy the physical keypad.

I am not concerned about specs, so does anyone have any comments on just the keypad on the Leap? Will it be difficult to adjust?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 09:37 AM
    Shouldn't be. Except that one is physical and the other virtual.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 09:44 AM
    I have the opportunity to upgrade for free to a Leap, but I am extremely concerned about the virtual keypad. I use a Q10 right now and really enjoy the physical keypad.

I am not concerned about specs, so does anyone have any comments on just the keypad on the Leap? Will it be difficult to adjust?
    I don't think it will be that different esp. if you're coming from a Z10, Z30, or Z3. I've been using a phone with a physical keyboard, much like your Q10, when I upgraded to a Z10 back then, and I adjusted typing from a physical keyboard to a glass screen not more than 3 days. You'll get used to it eventually.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    07-07-15 09:45 AM
    Thanks for the comments. And if anyone is wondering why I did not mention the Classic, it's because I have been wanting a significantly larger screen.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 09:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    I made the exact same transition. I had a Q10 for the past two years, and found myself wanting a larger screen, and the ability to run apps in the standard aspect ratio.

I had really wanted the Passport, but it was too expensive for me, plus the 1:1 aspect ratio wasn't ideal for apps. I opted to get the Leap as it was a free upgrade from my carrier, and was 16:9 aspect ratio like 90% of all smartphones.

I had serious concerns about switching to virtual keyboard, but if I had to make a change, I wanted the BB10 keyboard, and wanted to continue using BlackBerry 10, so I got the Leap.

The biggest difference (and still something that I miss) is the tactile feedback. I definitely miss the click of the physical keys, but aside from that, I personally find the Leap to be an improvement in almost every way over my Q10.

The screen is obviously bigger and brighter, Android app performance is better, and there isn't the terrible lag I used to experience with my Q. I loaded up Google Play using Cobalt's method and all the Android apps I've downloaded so far run really well with no issues.

Specs wise they are practically the same, but the Leap does run a lot nicer than my Q10 did as of late. Maybe it's better optimized to run with the newer software, I don't know. But it certainly is nicer to use than my Q.

The phone itself is made of a very nice soft touch plastic that doesn't show grease and fingerprints like my Q used to.

The only thing that is annoying is the volume buttons. They don't click very well, and don't always respond every time. I find myself using the software volume control in settings to avoid pressing the buttons. Remember that the Leap was designed as a low to mid range device, so it's missing things like NFC, compass etc.

I NEVER thought I could type on glass, but it's getting easier. Especially with the amazing BlackBerry word prediction and flick to type. The auto correct is also much better than I thought it would be, and so even making some typing mistakes, messages are very accurate.

You will look back at your Q10 and wonder how you ever did anything on such a small screen.

Overall, I'm very happy with the phone and would definitely recommend it.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 11:14 AM
    I made the exact same transition. I had a Q10 for the past two years, and found myself wanting a larger screen, and the ability to run apps in the standard aspect ratio.

I had really wanted the Passport, but it was too expensive for me, plus the 1:1 aspect ratio wasn't ideal for apps. I opted to get the Leap as it was a free upgrade from my carrier, and was 16:9 aspect ratio like 90% of all smartphones.

I had serious concerns about switching to virtual keyboard, but if I had to make a change, I wanted the BB10 keyboard, and wanted to continue using BlackBerry 10, so I got the Leap.

The biggest difference (and still something that I miss) is the tactile feedback. I definitely miss the click of the physical keys, but aside from that, I personally find the Leap to be an improvement in almost every way over my Q10.

The screen is obviously bigger and brighter, Android app performance is better, and there isn't the terrible lag I used to experience with my Q. I loaded up Google Play using Cobalt's method and all the Android apps I've downloaded so far run really well with no issues.

Specs wise they are practically the same, but the Leap does run a lot nicer than my Q10 did as of late. Maybe it's better optimized to run with the newer software, I don't know. But it certainly is nicer to use than my Q.

The phone itself is made of a very nice soft touch plastic that doesn't show grease and fingerprints like my Q used to.

The only thing that is annoying is the volume buttons. They don't click very well, and don't always respond every time. I find myself using the software volume control in settings to avoid pressing the buttons. Remember that the Leap was designed as a low to mid range device, so it's missing things like NFC, compass etc.

I NEVER thought I could type on glass, but it's getting easier. Especially with the amazing BlackBerry word prediction and flick to type. The auto correct is also much better than I thought it would be, and so even making some typing mistakes, messages are very accurate.

You will look back at your Q10 and wonder how you ever did anything on such a small screen.

Overall, I'm very happy with the phone and would definitely recommend it.

Posted via CB10
    Wow, it sounds like we live parallel lives! Lol.

Thanks for the information and your experience with the Leap. It's funny, since I wrote this post this morning, I think now my best bet will be to go for the Classic. That way I get a bit more screen, and keep NFC and HDMI - two things I actually use. Plus, I'll be using the physical keypad.

Posted via CB10
    brunoxrs likes this.
    07-07-15 11:22 AM
    Wow, it sounds like we live parallel lives! Lol.

Thanks for the information and your experience with the Leap. It's funny, since I wrote this post this morning, I think now my best bet will be to go for the Classic. That way I get a bit more screen, and keep NFC and HDMI - two things I actually use. Plus, I'll be using the physical keypad.

Posted via CB10
    The Classic might work well for you then. I thought about it as well, but the large screen and aspect ratio of the Leap were too good to pass up. I guess I just wanted to try something different without changing platforms.

It took me a few weeks and TONS of research before finally coming to a decision. Hope you end up getting what works best for you. Happy phone hunting!

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 11:34 AM
    I'm at my carrier's store right now and I can't decide! Lol.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 11:49 AM
    And..... I went with:

Keypad on Leap - How is it?-img_20150707_133625.jpg

Posted via CB10
    brunoxrs, Matty and playbookster like this.
    07-07-15 12:36 PM
    Hi again.

Now that I've bought the Leap, can someone point me in the right direction on how to transfer everything over from my Q10?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 02:09 PM
    Hi again.

Now that I've bought the Leap, can someone point me in the right direction on how to transfer everything over from my Q10?

Posted via CB10
    Easiest way would be to use BlackBerry Link software to transfer everything over.

You can either do a Device Switch with Link, or you can backup your Q10 and restore the file to your new phone.

I wasn't having luck with it, so I just started fresh, which allowed me to install only apps I really need and avoid the garbage I've accumulated over the years.

Switch the SD card (if you have one) and your SIM card as well and you should be good to go.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 08:07 PM
    Easiest way would be to use BlackBerry Link software to transfer everything over.

You can either do a Device Switch with Link, or you can backup your Q10 and restore the file to your new phone.

I wasn't having luck with it, so I just started fresh, which allowed me to install only apps I really need and avoid the garbage I've accumulated over the years.

Switch the SD card (if you have one) and your SIM card as well and you should be good to go.

Posted via CB10
    Awesome, thanks very much. I won't set up my new Leap until I have a case for it. Too afraid to start using it without any protection!

Posted via CB10
    brunoxrs likes this.
    07-07-15 08:15 PM
    First off, congratulations on the new purchase! Been wanting to play with a Leap for a while, but haven't had a chance. Keep us updated on how you like it.

In regards to transferring everything over:
    I haven't ever had any luck with BlackBerry Link. I have always used the Device Switch app from BlackBerry World, and for my most recent switch, I used Ultimate Backup (or Backup Pro).

I would recommend one of the paid apps as they obviously have the perk of constantly backing up your device in case something ever happens. They also are more feature-rich. That being said, Device Switch is also very nice to use, and free
    07-07-15 08:55 PM
    Leap keyboard is "virtually awesome". The larger screen of the leap make its keyboard entry fast and furious with amazing accuracy....

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 05:29 AM
    First off, congratulations on the new purchase! Been wanting to play with a Leap for a while, but haven't had a chance. Keep us updated on how you like it.

In regards to transferring everything over:
    I haven't ever had any luck with BlackBerry Link. I have always used the Device Switch app from BlackBerry World, and for my most recent switch, I used Ultimate Backup (or Backup Pro).

I would recommend one of the paid apps as they obviously have the perk of constantly backing up your device in case something ever happens. They also are more feature-rich. That being said, Device Switch is also very nice to use, and free
    Thanks! I have heard others who've had problems with link as well. I'll try out the app and see how it goes.

I was kind of weirded out last night when I realized my hands are actually too small for the Leap! And I'm a guy! Lol. But it took some ergonomic gymnastics and I think I have a proper "handle" on my phone now. Pun intended.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 08:02 AM
    BlackBerry makes the best software and hardware keyboards.

Posted via CB10
    punbb, brunoxrs and bigjman like this.
    07-08-15 01:22 PM
    I have found the adjusting alright, I still prefer the qwerrty keyboard since I don't have to look when I'm typing on it which Is really nice, so that is something you will have to get used to over time

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    07-09-15 12:44 AM
    I have found the adjusting alright, I still prefer the qwerrty keyboard since I don't have to look when I'm typing on it which Is really nice, so that is something you will have to get used to over time

That's an excellent point. I noticed that right away. To be honest though, I've had no issues at all with the keypad. Probably the best virtual one I've ever used.

Now I'm looking for a good tempered glass screen protector.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 08:19 AM
    The virtual keyboard is better than the hard keyboard

Z10
    07-09-15 08:22 AM
    The virtual keyboard is better than the hard keyboard

Z10
    Your forgot to add "IMO" at the end

Typing without looking is amazing

07-09-15 09:09 AM
    Your forgot to add "IMO" at the end

Typing without looking is amazing

I'm still on the fence myself. The Leap's virtual keyboard is growing on me.

I can type without looking at the screen because the auto correct is so good that it just corrects all my mistakes anyways.

I think I'm faster with this virtual keyboard than I was with the physical. Simply because one doesn't require nearly as much force to type.

It's not satisfying to type on though. Nothing beats the click of physical keys for me, but I'm adapting well.

It's not bad at all. IMO. LOL

Posted via CB10
    Matty likes this.
    07-09-15 11:38 AM
    It's glass. How do you think glass types?

It's glass, lol.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5.
    07-11-15 11:00 AM
    The virtual keyboard is most amazing. I can text faster and more accurate than the physical ones that I've experienced on previous BlackBerry. Highly recommend!!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 04:36 PM
    I started out with the BlackBerry Curve 9360. Then moved to the Z10 and never looked back. Since experiencing the BlackBerry virtual keyboard on the Z10 and now the Leap, personally, I would never go back to a physical keyboard.

Cartman says: Screw you guys I'm going home!
    Bob Brown7 likes this.
    07-15-15 08:02 PM