In BlackBerry's golden-era, during the mid 00's corporations purchased phones on behalf of employees because the average retail consumer handset could not adequately perform business functions like email, internet browsing, calendar synchronisation etc.

The phones made by BlackBerry sold in such large numbers because there was nothing else on the market which was comparable in terms of efficiency or productivity. When Apple released the iPhone, a market which was previously separated into two groups (Enterprise V Consumer) changed forever and suddenly employees came equipped with a phone that could already do what the company supplied phone could do - when the GFC occurred and an option was presented to financial decision makers which eliminated paying for mobile technology, Bring Your Own Device BYOD was born and adopted.

In 2015, the consumer not only has a phone which can perform business functions adequately, the consumer also has a phone connected to a 4G network with incredibly fast download speeds and access to potentially unlimited storage through cloud apps like Drop Box, Google Drives & SkyDrive. This represents a serious security risk, any organisation which gives employees access to customer databases, formula spreadsheets, internal memos, patent documents, financial statements or other valuable data and also has a BYOD policy is akin to up loading the company server onto the internet. Government and corporations spend billions annually on protecting their intellectual property through cyber attacks yet still insist that if employees want access to their email inbox, they need to purchase a compatible device.

In order for BlackBerry to claw back market-share from 2005, they need to again have a product on the market which offers unmatched efficiency and productivity.

I believe that it's far less expensive for corporations to purchase their employees encrypted mobile devices with wholesale corporate carrier plans than it is to permit an employee to use their own personal phone to access company information and reimburse retail cell phone bills.

BlackBerry in 2015 have once again provided the enterprise market with a unique product which is superior to everything else. BES12 Cloud + BBM Protected + BlackBerry Blend + BlackBerry Leap provide enterprise with a cost effective way of giving employees access to the data needed to work efficiently whilst protecting everything else. There is currently no other product on the market which is comparable in price to the combination of software and hardware that BlackBerry offer.

The Leap handset is the ideal company issued phone in 2015. It contains every feature an employee could reasonable need to productively work, it has a battery that lasts all day, an input method that everyone is familiar with and is secure. The leap also costs less than almost every other leading handset.

BlackBerry Classic = Corporate User Perfection!
    bh7171 likes this.
    04-19-15 02:17 AM
    They are launching slider so future of BlackBerry doesn't depend only on leap. Passport and slider are very innovative mobiles and no company are able to make these type of devices.
    I don't really understand how leap is called an affordable phone. Nothing has changed in it from z10,z30. Let's see when it is available in all countries.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 05:55 AM
    I agree, for BlackBerry's intended market, the leap is a great phone for enterprises to use. Let's be honest though, BlackBerry does need to get to work in terms of their sales and marketing. If they are going to be secret agents, no one's going to even know about their phones, let alone purchase them. I am optimistic that when it's something they feel is worth fighting for, they will continue to surprise us. I wish them the best.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 05:57 AM
    Interesting thoughts. Thanks OP!!

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 06:44 AM
    OP you do know that most of BYOD phones are also managed by some MDM system even if it isn't BES and if they are not the company doesn't have top secret information or least the employee doesn't have access to it.
    04-19-15 06:47 AM
    That entire first post could have been written 2 years ago - changing only the year to 2013, and the devices to Z10/Q10.

In fact, I think the same thing was said then.

Posted via CB10
    AndrewOrlowski and extisis like this.
    04-19-15 08:56 AM
    That entire first post could have been written 2 years ago - changing only the year to 2013, and the devices to Z10/Q10.

In fact, I think the same thing was said then.

Posted via CB10
    The Blackberry Leap is much different that the Z10/Q10. The price is half of what those phones would of cost companies to buy by back then. Plus I don't think they had BES and all the other software fully ready/available to really support those first BB10 phones for the corporate user. Now they do. This phone makes so much sense especially when considering the downturn the economy is about to take. If your a company looking for new phones, do you go and spend $700/each on an iPhone or do you get the Blackberry Leap for $275/each that would provide better security? Its a no brainer for any CEO.
    04-19-15 10:17 AM
    If only the employees were happy using them. It doesn't really matter, right? The Leap is the phone that is assigned to you, not the one you want. I like how everyone on this forum can think of all sorts of reasons why the Leap is a great smartphone - for someone else. I'd like to hear from someone who has done their research and intends to buy this phone for their own use.
    04-19-15 10:56 AM
    The Blackberry Leap is much different that the Z10/Q10. The price is half of what those phones would of cost companies to buy by back then. Plus I don't think they had BES and all the other software fully ready/available to really support those first BB10 phones for the corporate user. Now they do. This phone makes so much sense especially when considering the downturn the economy is about to take. If your a company looking for new phones, do you go and spend $700/each on an iPhone or do you get the Blackberry Leap for $275/each that would provide better security? Its a no brainer for any CEO.
    The point was, it seems that the "future of BlackBerry" is always resting on the newest device to come out. Yet, so far, BlackBerry's future has been pretty much stuck at a standstill.

Don't get me wrong... I want that to change. I just don't know that it actually will with the LeapPad... I mean... Leap.

If you have young kids, you'd know why I always get those names confused.

Yes, I do that on purpose. I know I can't be the only one who thinks that every time I see the name "Leap". I had hoped against hope that BlackBerry would change that before release, but sadly they didn't.
    kbz1960, WanShark69 and extisis like this.
    04-19-15 12:12 PM
    The point was, it seems that the "future of BlackBerry" is always resting on the newest device to come out. Yet, so far, BlackBerry's future has been pretty much stuck at a standstill.

Don't get me wrong... I want that to change. I just don't know that it actually will with the LeapPad... I mean... Leap.

If you have young kids, you'd know why I always get those names confused.

Yes, I do that on purpose. I know I can't be the only one who thinks that every time I see the name "Leap". I had hoped against hope that BlackBerry would change that before release, but sadly they didn't.
    Ya I agree with you on the name. They could of done a much better job. No one, especially a guy wants to be asked what phone he has and has to reply "The Leap". It sounds like a joke. I just hope they Slider has a better name.
    WanShark69 likes this.
    04-19-15 12:42 PM
    BlackBerry is starting from scratch Q10/Classic for 9900 users, leap is for Z10, slider is for torch users and Passport is real innovation! They are yet covering their BlackBerry os 7 userbase. Once covered you'll see real BlackBerry innovation

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 01:31 PM
    Ya I agree with you on the name. They could of done a much better job. No one, especially a guy wants to be asked what phone he has and has to reply "The Leap". It sounds like a joke. I just hope they Slider has a better name.
    Yeah, it sounds like a new Marvel Superhero character? Lololol...

Encrypted via my Z10 STL100-2 / SR 1865 / OS 2708
    04-20-15 01:23 AM
    Very interesting thoughts so far. As someone who is a small business owner in the financial services industry, and also writing about BlackBerry would love to keep this going.

So we covered why the Leap is different vs Z10, mainly half the price point. The question for decision makers, and IT folks... how big does this factor in?

Is a $275 Leap a game changer in the BYOD decision making process?
    04-20-15 01:35 AM
    Very interesting thoughts so far. As someone who is a small business owner in the financial services industry, and also writing about BlackBerry would love to keep this going.

So we covered why the Leap is different vs Z10, mainly half the price point. The question for decision makers, and IT folks... how big does this factor in?

Is a $275 Leap a game changer in the BYOD decision making process?
    Nope.

Z10 LE 10.2.2.1609
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    04-20-15 01:52 AM
    BlackBerry is starting from scratch Q10/Classic for 9900 users, leap is for Z10, slider is for torch users and Passport is real innovation! They are yet covering their BlackBerry os 7 userbase. Once covered you'll see real BlackBerry innovation

Posted via CB10
    As a Z10 owner, this Leap is not for me.

I'm already on a two-year-old phone. Why would I want a lesser capable phone now?

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 10:50 AM
    I am looking to buy my first Blackberry. Even though the Leap has very similar specs to the Z10/Z30, I could as well but the more current phone. Better display and the features that are missing (NFC, HDMI) I probally won't use anyway. The Leap will do everything I want plus more.
    04-20-15 02:44 PM
    Or Q5 and Z3

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-20-15 04:14 PM
    The future of the company rests not on one device, but all devices. The more BlackBerry can get any of their devices in to the hands of people, the better.

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    04-20-15 05:45 PM
    considering it's mainly for a corporate audience... most colleagues will probably just call it a BlackBerry 10 smartphone, which is much sexier
    04-20-15 10:24 PM
    OP you do know that most of BYOD phones are also managed by some MDM system even if it isn't BES and if they are not the company doesn't have top secret information or least the employee doesn't have access to it.
    I see even "Contacts" alone as a valuable asset. :-)

Too many times we've heard stories of an employee running off to work for a competitor with the customer database (no one could prove anything, of course!), and suddenly they're losing accounts left, right and center...

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    04-20-15 10:47 PM
    So refreshing to read an intelligent summation of the Leap's purpose in the BlackBerry hardware line up. Thank you!!!!

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    04-20-15 11:51 PM
    If only the employees were happy using them. It doesn't really matter, right? The Leap is the phone that is assigned to you, not the one you want. I like how everyone on this forum can think of all sorts of reasons why the Leap is a great smartphone - for someone else. I'd like to hear from someone who has done their research and intends to buy this phone for their own use.
    I'm considering getting one because I want a Z10 like device with a big battery to make it through a work day. Z30 is an option but I detest AMOLED.

Posted via Z10
    04-21-15 05:10 AM