I bought a Leap to use as a backup for my Passport. I really liked the way it looked in the clips I saw of it before it's release. Bought from ShopBlackberry for the regular price. While I do like some aspects of it, feels good in the hand, nice screen etc. I am returning it. I just think it has a "entry level" product feel to it, compared to other BB's such as the Z30. The one thing that I can't stand at all with the Leap is the speaker. It sounds terrible. Loose and tin like sound. I love BB OS no issues there. It is responsive and the battery seemed good, but I've decided to go back to a Z30 for a backup BB. I got an amazing deal from RFD for one. $224 taxes included and free shipping from ShopBlackberry as well. Leap goes in the mail Tuesday, and the Z30 ships out same day (monday is a holiday) BB is on the right track with the Leap, especially at the price point they set for it, but I'm still going back to the Z30. Feels a lot more solid in the hand and build quality is excellent. Hopefully the Leap 2.0 will be a step up.

Still loving all things BB, just not 100% sold on the Leap.
    lift and madman0141 like this.
    05-15-15 08:51 PM
    Doesn't feel entry level to me. It's actually a pretty solid device IMO. Sure, the speakers aren't great but kind of expected really but hey, to each their own.
    05-15-15 08:54 PM
    The point has been made pretty frequently that at current pricing levels the Leap doesn't represent good value over a Z30.

The thing is, the current pricing levels won't hold. The Leap is a new release, but virtually all phones come down in price 90 days or so after release.

For a user who wants the best full-touch BB10 experience, I have no idea why they'd pick a Leap over a Z30 at the present time. That will change, though...

Posted from CB10 on my classy Passport--TBUCK64
    05-15-15 09:06 PM
    Thats too bad they couldnt spend a little more effort on the choice of speaker for the Leap! I am hearing alot of negativity about it,, perhaps BlackBerry should buy out Bose or Speakercraft

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.500
    05-15-15 09:11 PM
    The point has been made pretty frequently that at current pricing levels the Leap doesn't represent good value over a Z30.

The thing is, the current pricing levels won't hold. The Leap is a new release, but virtually all phones come down in price 90 days or so after release.

For a user who wants the best full-touch BB10 experience, I have no idea why they'd pick a Leap over a Z30 at the present time. That will change, though...

Posted from CB10 on my classy Passport--TBUCK64
    Right, in the grand scheme it's a valid argument but it's one that will soon no longer exist as the stock of the Z30 gets lower and lower.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 09:16 PM
    Agreed the Leap holds value, and I wouldn't knock anyone in their choice of phones. For me though, I just feel the Z30 may be a better fit (spec wise). I think the Leap is at a good starting point for a more economical choice for business clients or consumers. I'm hoping a revised Leap will seal the deal for me in the future. Have to say though, the Z30 is still a solid device. Love the build quality and with the new OS, it should be fine. With the RFD deal, getting a new one taxes in for $224 was also a big factor for me. I did really like the back of the Leap (speaker excluded), it felt good in the hand.
    05-15-15 10:23 PM
    I bought a Leap to use as a backup for my Passport. I really liked the way it looked in the clips I saw of it before it's release. Bought from ShopBlackberry for the regular price. While I do like some aspects of it, feels good in the hand, nice screen etc. I am returning it. I just think it has a "entry level" product feel to it, compared to other BB's such as the Z30. The one thing that I can't stand at all with the Leap is the speaker. It sounds terrible. Loose and tin like sound. I love BB OS no issues there. It is responsive and the battery seemed good, but I've decided to go back to a Z30 for a backup BB. I got an amazing deal from RFD for one. $224 taxes included and free shipping from ShopBlackberry as well. Leap goes in the mail Tuesday, and the Z30 ships out same day (monday is a holiday) BB is on the right track with the Leap, especially at the price point they set for it, but I'm still going back to the Z30. Feels a lot more solid in the hand and build quality is excellent. Hopefully the Leap 2.0 will be a step up.

Still loving all things BB, just not 100% sold on the Leap.
    I started a thread about the same thing. I returned my Leap to Amazon a few days ago. The speaker was the main reason. Just like you said, sounds tinny and rattles badly if the volume is turned up high. If it had a much better speaker and was around the $175 price, I think it would be a winner.
    wolfpacal likes this.
    05-15-15 10:25 PM
    I started a thread about the same thing. I returned my Leap to Amazon a few days ago. The speaker was the main reason. Just like you said, sounds tinny and rattles badly if the volume is turned up high. If it had a much better speaker and was around the $175 price, I think it would be a winner.
    Very well said!
    lift likes this.
    05-15-15 10:28 PM
    I had high hopes for the Leap. Oh well. Trying out a Q5 right now. So far pretty impressed.
    05-15-15 10:31 PM
    I had high hopes for the Leap. Oh well. Trying out a Q5 right now. So far pretty impressed.
    Would you consider a Z30?
    05-16-15 12:08 AM
    I haven't tried the leap yet but I liked what most have had to say about it. It seems like most users have enjoyed it. It isn't high end but it seems like a good performer.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-16-15 12:15 AM
    Nowadays no phone really holds value except iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 01:52 AM
    Agreed. It's a decent backup or daily for 0 on a two year.Bought a Leap.....Returning a Leap-img_20150516_041737.jpg
    05-16-15 03:21 AM
    Right, in the grand scheme it's a valid argument but it's one that will soon no longer exist as the stock of the Z30 gets lower and lower.

Posted via CB10
    That's going to make me angry if they don't come out with an actual upgrade to the Z30. I've bought a few extras, but some people prefer to get them from the carrier. I can't recommend the Leap, too much of an entry level machine. I want peoples BB10 experience to be wonderful and not lackluster.
    wolfpacal likes this.
    05-16-15 04:07 AM
    I switch between a Classic and Passport but still picked up a Leap to replace the Z30 for the all touch experience. The Z30 is great but I cannot stand how dark the screen is! That's my only complaint but it's a deal breaker unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 04:48 AM
    People complaining about the single speaker on the Leap that either own or have demo'd a Z30 are perhaps a bit privileged. The Z30 was designed to be a flagship all touch to get a 2-3 year cycle. The Z30 is not even 2 years old yet. That being said it was meant to have stereo speakers. The Leap was not...

Consider this... compare the sound quality of the Leap with other phones that use single speaker designs, preferably located in the back like a Samsung Galaxy for example instead of a Z30. They are two different phones for two different purposes.

I finally went to go look at a Leap last night with my GF and I noticed a couple things that impressed me when comparing to a Z10. For her, that's where the upgrade compares. Other than NFC, it does everything she needs it too. Too bad about NFC as we use it for all our sharing. The Leap is bigger than a Z30. Definitely too big for a holster... but it has a certain appeal about it. The feel of it reminds me of my old Z10. Great screen, great design, great feeling, sexy even. Considering it's a BlackBerry, for the price, I like it.

I feel the slider is a change of market direction to test the waters on a flagship all touch upgrade. If not, a new all touch will come at some point for the Z30 when it hits EoL. Until then, it's still a freakin' beast.
    Avenzuno and Thunderbuck like this.
    05-16-15 08:34 AM
    Just adding the what's already been said.....I think many folks order a device just to get it in their hands without any real intentions to keep it. This really changes your expectations on what the device actually is and why you "bought" it. In this case. I suspect a Z30 was what the OP really wanted all along.

If you were intent on keeping it, you might feel more positive about the device and even overlook the "tinny speaker" issue, as with all Blackberry devices who seem to have their own unique foibles.
    05-16-15 08:48 AM
    My 2 deal breakers:

No NFC. Absolutely needed for 2 factor authentication for some critical apps like eg lastpass.

No nano but micro sim, despite the 2 latest devices before the leap having nano already. Can't switch between my Classic/PP and the Leap for the weekend. No, I'm never going to use adapters again. Already broke my Z30's sim slot with one.

Posted via CB10
    wolfpacal likes this.
    05-16-15 09:14 AM
    Just adding the what's already been said.....I think many folks order a device just to get it in their hands without any real intentions to keep it. This really changes your expectations on what the device actually is and why you "bought" it. In this case. I suspect a Z30 was what the OP really wanted all along.

If you were intent on keeping it, you might feel more positive about the device and even overlook the "tinny speaker" issue, as with all Blackberry devices who seem to have their own unique foibles.
    Actually I was planning on keeping the Leap. I've had the Z30 before. I use a Passport as my daily driver. I really wanted to keep the Leap, but every time I heard that speaker I wanted to get rid of it. For some the Leap is all they want and need. For me I just feel the build quality and sound from the Z30 is a better fit. The $224 all in price on the Z30 was also a big factor too. I'll keep up hope for a much improved Leap 2.0 later on!
    05-16-15 10:27 AM
    Wise decision !!!
    At last.
    05-16-15 10:35 AM
    People complaining about the single speaker on the Leap that either own or have demo'd a Z30 are perhaps a bit privileged. The Z30 was designed to be a flagship all touch to get a 2-3 year cycle. The Z30 is not even 2 years old yet. That being said it was meant to have stereo speakers. The Leap was not...

Consider this... compare the sound quality of the Leap with other phones that use single speaker designs, preferably located in the back like a Samsung Galaxy for example instead of a Z30. They are two different phones for two different purposes.

I finally went to go look at a Leap last night with my GF and I noticed a couple things that impressed me when comparing to a Z10. For her, that's where the upgrade compares. Other than NFC, it does everything she needs it too. Too bad about NFC as we use it for all our sharing. The Leap is bigger than a Z30. Definitely too big for a holster... but it has a certain appeal about it. The feel of it reminds me of my old Z10. Great screen, great design, great feeling, sexy even. Considering it's a BlackBerry, for the price, I like it.

I feel the slider is a change of market direction to test the waters on a flagship all touch upgrade. If not, a new all touch will come at some point for the Z30 when it hits EoL. Until then, it's still a freakin' beast.
    The Leap is only 3/32 inches taller than a Z30.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 11:12 AM
    The Leap is only 3/32 inches taller than a Z30.

Posted via CB10
    Don't forget that the Leap has a squared corner design where as the Z30 is rounded. Place a Z30 over a Leap and you'll see what I mean.
    05-16-15 12:42 PM
    Don't forget that the Leap has a squared corner design where as the Z30 is rounded. Place a Z30 over a Leap and you'll see what I mean.
    I like the rounded corners too but many do not but regardless I really think that the Leap holster would work as well as a Z30 holster.

ShopBlackBerry Online Store - Leap Swivel Leather Holster

I lost a phone once when my holster got dislodged while exiting a car so I will never use one again. Besides I am too old to want something that would make me appear even older than I am.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-16-15 01:22 PM
    You can't find an OEM Leather holster for the Z30 anywhere. It's like there's a global shortage on them?? I found one on eBay but that's it. Even shop crackberry says no shipping until June 6th. Wonder where they all went?
    05-16-15 02:32 PM
    The Z30 is great but I cannot stand how dark the screen is! That's
    I agree. Love everything about the Z30 except the inadequate brightness of the screen.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 03:16 PM
51 123